x

Are further modifications needed to server.js at the time of publishing a website

Are further modifications needed to server.js upon publishing a web site containing Square Ecommerce API to a shared hosting server such as GoDaddy in addition to all the modification discussed in https:developersquareup.com/payment-form/payment-form-walkthrough

In particular do we need to specify a the URL in the app.listen call and/or a different port numner? I have tried port 3000 and 8080 - neither is working and I am unable to connect to the npm server I started in my home directory in my GoDaddy account, 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Thanks for bringing this up, @Tony250

We checked in with our API folks and have some more information for you.

The walk-through gives you a working payment form, but if you want to do anything else—you would need to build out the functionality.

As for your last question, it sounds like GoDaddy would need to assist: you could ask if they’re able to get it working in localhost, and if so, then it’s an issue on GoDaddy's side. If not, let us know and we can take a deeper dive.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 3

Hi Tom,

Certainly thanks for your reply. I had built out the functionality and the payment form works on localhost on my personal computer. However, when I publish the site to a shared hosting server it does not work - the payment form does not render. I was told by GoDaddy that they have no way to open port 3000 on a shared hosting server and I would need a virtual private server which costs about $1000.00. I then transferred my service to BlueHost since they had assured me that they would be able to open port 3000 for me even on a shared hosting server. Turns out they lied to me. They further lied to me by saying they could do it if I purchased a dedicated ip address for $215/3years. I did and it still didn't work! Could you please advise me if you are aware of any hosting providers who can open up port 3000 for me cheaply? Thanks on advance.

Message 3 of 3