x

Can I set up a payment link where customers can enter an amount to pay (custom amount)?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original]

How can I set up a payment link to have customer choose amount to pay, similar to the way the  donation link set up?

Right now it only says "Item variations must have a fixed price to be sold in your store"

Thank you

Message 1 of 54
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Dropping in to introduce Buyer Entered Payments

Your customers can set their own payment amounts when you use Square Online Checkout links 🎉

If creating the link in-app, the flow starts by heading to Settings > Online checkout > Create link button >

You must select the Collect payments option here, and you'll see Allow buyer to enter amount at the bottom - be sure to toggle this ON in order to allow buyer-entered payments via this checkout link.

You can also create these links from your Square Dashboard starting here > Create checkout link button (top right):

Again, you must select Collect a payment here to view the Allow buyer to set the price option on the next screen:

Check the box next to this line in order to enable this option - voilà! 💫

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 50 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
Admin

Hey @massagejax!

If you enable eGift cards to be sold, there's an online order link that can be sent to your customers and they can purchase an eGift card there. That link can be found on the Configuration page on your Dashboard.

In regards to the tip, are you asking if the customer can use their gift card to pay for a tip? Or if the customer can tip on top of purchasing a gift card. 

If you're referring to a customer being able to use their gift card to help pay for a tip, then yes, that's possible! If it's the latter, then no, a tip cannot be added onto a gift card sale.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 22 of 54

Another vote for this feature.  I use paypal.me in my business because it takes about 3 seconds to type the link vs 2-5 minutes to make an invoice.

I tried JotForms, but cant see a way to add amount to URL to auto-populate a field on the form. Has anyone got this to work?

Message 23 of 54

Another vote for a simple link for customers to pay any amount they choose.

is there a workaround for invoices?

I don't mind setting up an invoice for my customers, but I need a minimum amount option.  

If I choose the initial deposit or payment plan, they don't allow customers to pay in full...

Message 24 of 54

I am a developer new to square. I have a client running a business which is a delivery service. Her customers enter her site and send a form to request service. She returns an invoice through square up. She wants to have the customer return to her site and enter a pay portal. This "check out" is bare bones. It needs the card info and a field for customers to input the dollar amount that she charges them. 

1) Is there such an iframe to allow customer input dollar amount.

2) Is it neccessary? Is the invoice like paypal where there is an embedded link to take you to Square's pay portal where the customer pays?

3) Is the checkout API the right solution for this?

Message 25 of 54
Super Seller Alumni

If she is sending them an invoice then there is a payment link on it.

You can not do a custom amount in an online setting with Square.

Don't know what here service is but if it is something that can be set up as a fixed charge then you can set up the Square online store.  The customer can order and check out at once.  She will receive email and notification in the app.  Orders can even be set to auto print.

Send me the link to her form and I can provide guidance.

Message 26 of 54

You actually answered my question. PayPal has that option. I figured that there was a pay link on the invoices. I just haven't seen what one of their invoices look like. It makes perfect since, just send an invoice. She is trying to achieve an otherwise unnecessay step. Thank you so much for answering this! Have a great wealthy pursuit! 😉

Message 27 of 54

I have a similar issue; a single service (home inspections) with a variable price.  

If I read the message right, I cannot have each client input a custom amount.

Right now I have copies of the same service at different prices, which is a little messy.

I see that paypal lets clients enter a custom amount.

Are there any better ways of doing this inside of Square?  

Message 28 of 54
Super Seller Alumni

You can create one item without a price.  This allows YOU to enter the price you want when you make a sale in person or send an invoice.

You can create an Invoice in Square, select your item and enter the price for this customer.  The invoice is emailed to them and they can click the "Make Payment" button and pay it.   If you have a work order or other details about the service or contract, you can add it to the item notes or as an attachment to the invoice.   Super easy and professional.

No, the customer can't enter their own price with Square Online store.

However,  if you send out separate invoices and you want to give them the option to pay and you don't want to use Square to create your invoices.  Then I would look at JotForms.  This is a form service that links with Square Payments.   This will allow you to collect the customer information needed to match up the payment with the sale and allow the customer to enter the price on the invoice.  

Message 29 of 54

My client is an oil/propane supplier for residential and commercial customers.  They still send out paper invoices and I don't see that changing.  We want to switch from Authorize.net on their web site and use the checkout api.  However the customer is going to need to be able to enter their payment amount.  Some customers make partial payments, some pay in full so there is no set amount for anything.  

Is this possible with Checkout API?  Any help you could offer would be much appreciated.

Message 30 of 54
Admin

Hi @DebB, welcome to the seller community and thanks for your post. At this time, the ability to make a partial payment or allow the customer to select their own payment amount is not available with Checkout API. Our Point of Sale team is tracking these requests, though we don't have a specific timeline available for when they may be included. For now, hopefully the workaround that Sean proposed in this thread helps get you where you need to be: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 31 of 54

Sometimes I offer clients an initial consultation without a specific fee attached to it. In those instances I would like to just send an invoice that allows them to write in whatever amount they can afford or what they feel the value of the consultation was. Is there a way to send an invoice without having specific price points? They could write in any amount and pay it.

Thank you.

Message 32 of 54

Hello @DDay, welcome to the Seller Community! 

This is an interesting suggestion for Invoicing. Right now we don't offer the ability for customers to choose the price of an item, but I'll make sure to pass the request along to our Invoices Team. I've gone ahead and moved this thread to the feature request board of the Seller Community. That way we can track all of the requests for this feature. 

If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out to me! 

Message 33 of 54

That would be a great help!

Message 34 of 54
Admin

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 35 of 54

We would also love to have this feature!

Message 36 of 54

I am also wishing this was an option. I am looking for another service provider right now because of this issue.

Message 37 of 54

My thought is to bill them one dollar then add the option to tip with a note that says thanks please tip the amount you feel is appropriate. just my 2 cents

Message 38 of 54
Admin

Hey @VioletPetals

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community! 👋

As of right now, we don't have a way for our sellers to create a payment page/site where customers can input the custom amount/leave items variably priced. We do offer Online Checkout links, where you can share a specific payment link with your customer. Here's some additional information if you'd like to create an Online Checkout Link for your item.

This is an interesting feature request, though! I will make sure to pass it along to the appropriate team. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 39 of 54

Thank you so much for letting me know. Someone else posted a workaround with the Donation link. While it's not perfect, it can work.

Message 40 of 54
Beta Member

My customers have had problems using the donation workaround in the online store. Some payments go through and some don't. It's very frustrating.

I strongly the support the option for a payment link that can accept variable amounts. I also have the Cash App for Business, so I can link to my Cashtag, but it's not right for everyone.

I'm also confused about whether customers who use a credit card (instead of debit) to pay via the Cash App will incur a fee, if the seller has a Cash App for Business account. I realize I'm mixing a few different topics, but it's all related. 

Message 41 of 54

Thank you so much for that info. I decided to to use a PayPal.me link to collect varied payments to keep things simply until Square creates something for varied payments.

Thanks again

Message 42 of 54