x

SSL and custom domain issues

I transferred my custom domain over to Square with no problem. It's been over 48 hours and my website is still saying it's not secure. In prior threads it's been claimed that the SSL falls on the originating domain provider. I have talked to support through my domain provider and they said SSL/security falls on the hosting provider. If Let's Encrypt only works for Square's Transaction API, what route do I need to take to secure my Square Online store? 

Message 1 of 40
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Welcome to Seller Community, @HMCreations.

With a Square Online site, we issue the SSL certificate and install it for. Normally this doesn't require anything other than making sure the domain is pointed to us correctly, something that is already done when the domain is purchased through us. With domains purchased elsewhere the domain needs to be pointed to our IP before a certificate can be issued. I checked and your domain is configured correctly. 

Can you go to Website > General Settings and use the unpublish option at the bottom to unpublish the site, then open the site in the website editor and publish it again? That should trigger a new SSL certificate to be issued for your site.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Admin

Best Answer

Welcome to Seller Community, @HMCreations.

With a Square Online site, we issue the SSL certificate and install it for. Normally this doesn't require anything other than making sure the domain is pointed to us correctly, something that is already done when the domain is purchased through us. With domains purchased elsewhere the domain needs to be pointed to our IP before a certificate can be issued. I checked and your domain is configured correctly. 

Can you go to Website > General Settings and use the unpublish option at the bottom to unpublish the site, then open the site in the website editor and publish it again? That should trigger a new SSL certificate to be issued for your site.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 2 of 40

Thank you! I had no idea the problem was so easy to solve. You’re a life saver!

Message 3 of 40

Hi I tried going into the settings and unpublishing the page as suggested. Then I published it again. It still says "not secure" in the top corner of google. How do I know if it's secure? 

Message 4 of 40
Square Community Moderator

Hello @megawavemakesmu - Sorry to hear that the suggestions in this thread did not help. Please contact our Customer Success Team. They will be your best resource and can further troubleshoot. 

Have a great day!

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 5 of 40

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help solve or explain an issue, I clicked on the link for customer support but it says page not found, I paid for my website and have my custom domain, but from time to time it stops working and the my website link sends me to unsecured websites that are not my online shop such as the one I will attach on here, I’m trying to fix this issue to make sure it does not happen again, looks like now my website is working but it was down an hour ago, I want to know if anything can be done for when it happens again, thank you.

(Tried to attach picture but it looks like that can’t be done)

Message 6 of 40

Hey there @JMariesArtQuest

My advice is to grab a screenshot and copy the URL your website takes you to so our team can double-check what is going on. I took a look at your domain and site, and they both look properly configured.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Message 7 of 40

Hi, I am having the same problem with my custom domain, it has a SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

when I visit the site, I just went and tried unpublish and then published the site again. Can you tell me how long it may take for the new SSL to be issued before I need to seek out more help if this didn't work?

Message 8 of 40
Admin

Hey @wintervallie ❄️ 

How long ago did you transfer your domain? What's your URL?

Let me know

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 9 of 40

I registered a little over a month ago, its wintervallie.com, thanks!

Message 10 of 40
Admin

My teammate, @BernadetteA was able to figure out what's going on!

You should have one A-record pointing to 199.34.228.164 and one CNAME pointing to your URL.You have the proper ones already, but need to delete the extras.

Keep the top one, delete the bottom:

Delete the top two, keep the bottom one:

Would you mind trying that @wintervallie? ❄️

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 11 of 40

Thank you so much for working on this! I THINK I got them deleted, inside my Hostgator cpanel, what do I do next?

Message 12 of 40

OH! I just went and unpublished and published again and its working!! Thank you so much!

Message 13 of 40
Admin

@wintervallie Yay! Glad it's working for you!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 14 of 40
Beta Member

Worked for me, Thanks!

Message 15 of 40

there is no unpublish option on my page ???? i still do not have a ssl

Message 16 of 40

Hi @jb50mag - Thank you for stopping by The Seller Community 😊

You can locate the unpublish button by logging onto Square Online.

Clicking on Website.

Then selecting Site Preferences.

Then scrolling down until you run into Unpublish.

On the right is an unpublish button. 

On the Square Online store, SSL certificates are automatically enabled as long as the site destination is correct. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Message 17 of 40

I believe my settings are correct but no win yet. I have unpublished and published several times and waited the 48 hours no win yet. I'm not sure what transpire but my site was fine and I never had an issue, google says my site certificate expired on 02-22-22.

Message 18 of 40

i am  having the same issue my site is published and the dns is directed properly i have even attached a cname and unpublished then republished the site but it is still saying not secured

Message 19 of 40

Hi @nolimittrainer - Sorry to hear that this issue has brought you to the Seller Community

Some of this does sound off, but it's difficult to pinpoint what may be happening without looking at your account with you.

The fastest way to resolve complicated Square Online questions is by reaching out to our Support Team directly. The best way to reach out is by phone because our team can look at your account with you and help you make adjustments in real-time. If you haven't already, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 20 of 40

go to Website > General Settings and use the unpublish option at the bottom to unpublish the site,

The above instruction does not work - there is no "general settings" under Website. 

There is no unpublish option under Settings.

Please give me a current solution!

womansong.org

Message 21 of 40