x

SSL and custom domain issues

I transferred my custom domain over to Square with no problem. It's been over 48 hours and my website is still saying it's not secure. In prior threads it's been claimed that the SSL falls on the originating domain provider. I have talked to support through my domain provider and they said SSL/security falls on the hosting provider. If Let's Encrypt only works for Square's Transaction API, what route do I need to take to secure my Square Online store? 

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Welcome to Seller Community, @HMCreations.

With a Square Online site, we issue the SSL certificate and install it for. Normally this doesn't require anything other than making sure the domain is pointed to us correctly, something that is already done when the domain is purchased through us. With domains purchased elsewhere the domain needs to be pointed to our IP before a certificate can be issued. I checked and your domain is configured correctly. 

Can you go to Website > General Settings and use the unpublish option at the bottom to unpublish the site, then open the site in the website editor and publish it again? That should trigger a new SSL certificate to be issued for your site.

Adam
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Best Answer

Welcome to Seller Community, @HMCreations.

With a Square Online site, we issue the SSL certificate and install it for. Normally this doesn't require anything other than making sure the domain is pointed to us correctly, something that is already done when the domain is purchased through us. With domains purchased elsewhere the domain needs to be pointed to our IP before a certificate can be issued. I checked and your domain is configured correctly. 

Can you go to Website > General Settings and use the unpublish option at the bottom to unpublish the site, then open the site in the website editor and publish it again? That should trigger a new SSL certificate to be issued for your site.

Adam

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 16

Thank you! I had no idea the problem was so easy to solve. You’re a life saver!

Message 3 of 16

Hi I tried going into the settings and unpublishing the page as suggested. Then I published it again. It still says "not secure" in the top corner of google. How do I know if it's secure? 

Message 4 of 16

Hello @megawavemakesmu - Sorry to hear that the suggestions in this thread did not help. Please contact our Customer Success Team. They will be your best resource and can further troubleshoot. 

Have a great day!

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 5 of 16

Hi, I am having the same problem with my custom domain, it has a SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

when I visit the site, I just went and tried unpublish and then published the site again. Can you tell me how long it may take for the new SSL to be issued before I need to seek out more help if this didn't work?

Message 6 of 16

Hey @wintervallie ❄️ 

How long ago did you transfer your domain? What's your URL?

Let me know

Isabelle
Message 7 of 16

I registered a little over a month ago, its wintervallie.com, thanks!

Message 8 of 16

My teammate, @BernadetteA was able to figure out what's going on!

You should have one A-record pointing to 199.34.228.164 and one CNAME pointing to your URL.You have the proper ones already, but need to delete the extras.

Keep the top one, delete the bottom:

Delete the top two, keep the bottom one:

Would you mind trying that @wintervallie? ❄️

Isabelle
Message 9 of 16

Thank you so much for working on this! I THINK I got them deleted, inside my Hostgator cpanel, what do I do next?

Message 10 of 16

OH! I just went and unpublished and published again and its working!! Thank you so much!

Message 11 of 16

@wintervallie Yay! Glad it's working for you!

Nika_S
Message 12 of 16

I purchased Square/Weebly's Performance package that came with domain registration. I already had a domain, so I opted to have it transferred to Square/Weebly. The Performance package ended up not being the right fit for me, so I cancelled the subscription. And I am in the 60-day process of having my domain transferred back to my old service. But in the meantime it's parked here with Square/Weebly.

I have the DNS pointed back to my old website (not on Square/Weebly). But the https is no longer working, and I can't find where to change the SSL. Where and how do I go about doing that here?

Message 13 of 16

Heya @farragio,

I moved your post to a relevant thread that goes over domain/SSL issues.

@AdamB provided more information above in his Best Answer. Let me know if this helps.

Ashley C
Message 14 of 16

Hi, I just launched my website. I purchased the domain right through square, just want to know if my site has the SSL or not, site is www.floorsmoresarnia.com 

Thank you for the help!

Message 15 of 16

Hey @Kmcmillan17

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

Take a look at the best answer in this thread for some insight into SSLs and Square.

Isabelle
Message 16 of 16