x

Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

Verified Answer

Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How to set up date and time selection for Square Online orders

Hi,

We quickly built a Square/Weebly Online Store this week so that people could place contactless/curbside orders for our gelato shop. It's working great and I love that the tickets print out when it's time to make the order.

We are also implementing a local delivery service where people can preorder with us and we'll deliver it on Friday night. Right now we're doing it by email to take their item order and we respond back with a Square Invoice to capture payment. Has anyone successfully found a way to do local delivery with the Online Store platform?

It would be awesome if besides Pickup or Shipping, merchants could toggle on a Local Delivery button and the merchant could set a few options, such as "Delivery on Friday night, 4-7pm," "Delivery on Saturday afternoon, 12-6pm." Maybe with an option to assign a fee, but that's less important during this emergency response.

Thank you and be safe.

3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

@lonestar31 @MCTMN 

We are currently testing Batch Processing in our Beta Community, which may help you out. This is another update to allowing pre-orders on your online store.  We'd love for you to join in the test and provide feedback.

To get started:

Please join our Square Online testing group.
Once accepted there are instructions in the group of how to get started in the test.

Verified Answer

Re: Feature request: Pre-Order Handling

Hi all! Thank you for jumping into. your thread for pre-orders and more customizable delivery/pick up options. We're excited that this feature is now moving into Beta testing, and we'd love to have you check it out.

Please take a few minutes to ready our Beta Recruiting post- and make sure you're a fit. We're looking to get his launched in the next few days. Also if you've replied to this thread, we will be sending you information on this test via DM as well.

Verified Answer

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How to set up date and time selection for Square Online orders

Hi,

We quickly built a Square/Weebly Online Store this week so that people could place contactless/curbside orders for our gelato shop. It's working great and I love that the tickets print out when it's time to make the order.

We are also implementing a local delivery service where people can preorder with us and we'll deliver it on Friday night. Right now we're doing it by email to take their item order and we respond back with a Square Invoice to capture payment. Has anyone successfully found a way to do local delivery with the Online Store platform?

It would be awesome if besides Pickup or Shipping, merchants could toggle on a Local Delivery button and the merchant could set a few options, such as "Delivery on Friday night, 4-7pm," "Delivery on Saturday afternoon, 12-6pm." Maybe with an option to assign a fee, but that's less important during this emergency response.

Thank you and be safe.

333 Comments

Why can square not implement seller ability to select delivery day (such as thanksgiving)??

There seems to be plenty need for this feature.

Beta Member
If you place an online order now, you can pick it up or deliver it as soon as it's ready, or pick it up or deliver it on a specified time and date.
But what we want now is an option that allows certain menus to be picked up or delivered at certain times of the day.

It's like getting a preorder before a new iPhone is released. Just like all the iPhones that were ordered early or late arrive the same day. It will be very helpful for the restaurant if you can get an order in advance and prepare a large amount at once on a set day.
Super Seller

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way in Square. So far my workaround for future orders was creating categories called 11/24, 11/25, etc, and then creating items in that category called for example "Large Apple pie (11/24 Pickup). Then you only put the dates (categories) you want available online.

we just put ours live for pickup at one of our stores now. check it out for an example of what I was trying to explain. https://risen-roll-schererville.square.site/

Certainly a feature that I am interested in as well.  Has anyone discovered some work arounds?

I've checked the option to have my items available for scheduled pickups but that option in not showing up on my weebly site.

Thanks!

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I work for a school and we use Square for both our book store, as well as for fundraising events that have a specific day for item pickups.  I have found a way to work around the shortcoming of Square being able to handle this process:

I create a modifier that contains the date of the pickup of items, and mark that it is Pre-Selected.

When setting up the item on the website, I make it a Service rather than a Physical product (even though it is a product).  This overrides the pickup/delivery option, and instead shows the modifier pickup information.

The only quirk is that after you change from physical to service on the website side, you have to go back in and reenter the price (even though it shows) on the dashboard side in order to make the item visible on the website.

We have used this method for our holiday fundraiser, and I'm in the process of doing it for our annual book sale.  The process is a little clunky, but it works without a lot of explanation to the purchaser. 

Beta Member

@Dhenn wrote:

No, that’s NOT the feature they are looking for. They are requesting (as is EVERY OTHER SQUARE USER!) that the SELLER can define the DATE (not day) and TIME RANGE of pick up and/or delivery for pre-orders of particular items!  I am getting set to offer Xmas pre-orders for pick up on 3 different dates in December...Square has no options for me on that! Like, reallly?????! I currently deciding which is the best option right now...dealing with hassle & emails & messages (not mention looking completely unprofessional) from customers questioning the auto generated (and incorrect) pick up date that Square provided or changing web platforms to Shopify. 
You know what? I’ve written on this board too many times with nothing to show for it. It’ll take less time to build a new site. It’s time for me to change. 

Couldn't have said it better.  We've been waiting months for this sort of feature.  I'm sure it's difficult on the backend to program but jeez, we can't even post a thanksgiving menu and have online orders come in without confusing the heck out of everyone because the pickup date is tomorrow and half the time they can't figure out how to schedule it out to a different day.  The option for a client to choose an available date directly after adding something to a cart and for the store to set an available date for item pickup is crucial.  Alas, I digress, as this has been asked for by many for months and I too am working on another ordering system as I can't wait any longer.

Beta Member

I am having an issue where I have a mobile food truck and I am trying to enable pre-orders for next Thursday from 5pm-7pm and it seems that no matter what I do, when i go to view the items in the actual store, instead of being able to pre-order the button says "Available Later". I have the times for business set to the same in my Square profile as the hours for the location. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue.

Thanks

Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @LDPumphrey

Thank you so much for posting you question. I have moved your post to a thread where other sellers have had questions about Pre-Orders. 

Please see the Best Answer thread for a workaround, since this popular Feature Request. 

Has anyone heard about an update to the enhancement of either disabling the pick up time OR (better option) entering a custom date/time? This would revolutionize how were are able to use the system. -michelle