x

Transaction Times shown in Dashboard Reports / Data Exports and Time Zone impact (multi-location)

Folks, looking to confirm my understanding here is correct, appreciate any feed back.

From what I can tell, the time show for any given transaction, both in the Dashboard and in data exported from the dashboard, is *converted* to the timezone of whoever is looking at the data.  True or False?

Example:  I have Square locations in Philadelphia (EST) and Austin (CST).  I am logged into the Dashboard in Philadelphia.  When I go and look at a transaction taken as 1:30pm in Austin, it will appear as 2:30pm in my views/exports.

Thanks!

Shaun Hurley

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Alumni

Hi @shaunhurley - yes, timestamps will be converted to the timezone of the computer/device that you're using when looking at records.

Let us know if you have any other questions! 

Message 2 of 12

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Viewing sales live in a different time zone?

I own a business in Hawaii and live in another state.  When trying to view live sales or even daily sales it will not match up with the Hawaii time zone.  The transaction shows in the time zone where I am verses the time zone where the transaction happened.  If I ring a sale up at 9:01 PM Hawaii time on the 30th of January it will show as a new sale at 12:01AM on the 31st of January where I live.  This makes it nearly impossible to manage your sales/cash/team from a different time zone.  This is a very poor design.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how they handle this problem?

Message 3 of 12
Admin

You're right @BRkbay, when you view Dashboard your reporting/transaction details will be displayed in the time zone of your computer/laptop. Have you tried changing the time zone on your device? I just tested this and when I changed the the Date & Time settings on my computer, the Dashboard details switched to the new time zone.

I'll also share your feedback about this with the Dashboard team, thank you for letting us know why it's important to you! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 12

Changing the time on the device to the timezone of your store location seems a bit redundant. 

Shouldn’t the timezone stay relevant for the zone the store is in?

I travel often making it very difficult to see accurate information on the app when my business is open during normal

operaging hours. 

Isnt this confusing for owners with stores in multiple time zones?

Can this be brought up to engineering that the app (I noticed this also happens for payroll as well) only displays relevant information for the timezone the store is in? 

Its confusing to be in Denmark, where I’m writing this, showing my store was open collecting payments from 4pm to 8pm yesterday when it was open from 11pm to 3pm. 

Message 5 of 12

I totally agree.  I would think the default should be to use the physical location of the business as that's far more logical as a business owner than where I am at the moment.  Or at least make it an option.  This feel like a relic from Square's early days before it was widespread in retail settings.

Message 6 of 12

The shop is in Japan but the office is in the USA. My reports are all in USA time but we need to see JAPAN TIME in our reports because the location is JAPAN. Is this possible???? HELP!
Message 7 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hi @lacabina!

I merged your post with an existing post in the Community around timezones with your business setup.

The Dashboard will show you the timezone of where you're logged in at but it looks like some sellers have found success in changing their timezone on the computer/device itself!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 12

Sure but then if at the same time send an email or look work on my calendar it will date stamp wrong.. There needs to be an option in dashboard to select the store timezone. Timecards works that way why not Reports ? Doesn't make sense to me.

Message 9 of 12
Admin

@madmanespresso You might want to check out the Best Answer on this thread when it comes to time zone differences within Appointments. If after you go through those steps and you're still having trouble, give our team a shout.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 10 of 12

This is a discussion from 2019.  Has the option to view dashboard in the same time zone as your store been added since then?  

Message 11 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hello @DeanTropicana,

If you are referring to exporting data and the time zone this has not been updated. You can take a look above at some of the suggestions provided by other sellers and our staff. 

We will make sure to notify you here in our Seller Community if this changes at any time. 

Have a good day. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 12 of 12