x
Beta Member

Barcode Scanner - Square terminal

I'd love to be able to scan a bar code whilst using the Square terminal 'on the move'

Message 1 of 11
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Barcode Scanner - Square terminal

Hi @Indie-IT and @MarvMemories, thank you for your suggestion, this is a great shout! I can definitely see the benefit of having a barcode scanner built in or at least have the Terminal works with more types of barcode scanner. I'll be sure to flag this to our Product team.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with in the meantime. 

10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

Short answer - you canโ€™t. 

I donโ€™t think there is even BT in there (they missed a trick here, as would be great - although I donโ€™t think any BT accessories work with android versions anyway?). 

Iโ€™ve tested plugging a USB barcode scanner directly in the USB C port but doesnโ€™t work, you need it on power & with the hub unfortunately. 

Sam

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 11

Could barcode reading not be included with the Square app, assuming here that you are using the Square reader with your phone?

Message 3 of 11
Beta Member

Hi,

Yes that would be a great feature added to the app.

We use the portable terminal with printer, I'm hoping if enough people show interest the next incarnation would include a scanner.

Message 4 of 11
Admin

Hi @Indie-IT and @MarvMemories, thank you for your suggestion, this is a great shout! I can definitely see the benefit of having a barcode scanner built in or at least have the Terminal works with more types of barcode scanner. I'll be sure to flag this to our Product team.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with in the meantime. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 5 of 11
Beta Member

Hi @tranguyen ,

Thats great!

Message 6 of 11
Beta Member

Needing some guidance... how do I print my own barcodes from within Square?  We buy items in bundles and each of the six items need its own dedicated barcode.  Thanks in advance

Message 7 of 11
Super Seller

Hey @Freshacre, barcode printing is a feature of Square Retail but not any of the other parts of Square. 

if youโ€™re not using Square Retail then there should be a few option online for creating barcodes. (Iโ€™d advise cresting the barcode, then scanning that into the product - that way youโ€™ll ensure itโ€™ll all work smoothly ๐Ÿ‘

Pizza Is Chill

Message 8 of 11
Super Seller

Message 9 of 11
Super Seller

Hi @MarvMemories 

We definitely would too. 

This post is related: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Point-of-Sale-Group/iphone-barcode-scanning/td-p/283001 

@tranguyen , posts that have a 'Best Answer' are also classified as 'Solved'. I don't think the two are synonymous. In this post, the issue is not solved as the requirement can't be met, however, the 'best' answer at this point in time is highlighted, which is fair enough. Could Square please rethink how these terms are used and provide the distinction between 'solved' and 'best answer'?

Thank you.  

Alex Jessey
Message 10 of 11
Admin

Thanks so much for bringing this up @amjessey โ€” it's definitely something that warrant a review. Our team are currently discussing this now and I'll keep you in the loop on any changes.

For this thread, I actually updated the current Best Answer to Square Verified instead. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 11 of 11