x
Beta Member

Feature Request: Adjust inventory when item is added to ticket/cart

We've had issues, on fast selling items, where an item added to a ticket is resold online. I would like to be able to set Square to adjust the inventory when the item is added to a ticket to minimise the chances of this happening.

Message 1 of 10
Report Inappropriate Content
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

Hi @CannarWilm, thanks for sharing this!

I'd love to get a bit more information about this feature request so I can make sure it is share with the correct team. When you said add to a ticket, would this be when an item is added to an open ticket within the Point of Sale app but the transaction hasn't been completed, or is it a different feature you're using? 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 10
Beta Member

Hi Tranguyen,

yes that's correct. In fact, let me go a little deeper into the issue to give you a little more information.

We currently use Square POS synced online to WooCommerce. This mostly works well but a couple of stock issues cause headaches and two of them can be solved with this feature request.

1) Occasionally we add items to an open ticket and allow people to pay at a later stage. This means that stock levels are not correctly reflected.

2) We have people reserve items. When they arrive in the shop we put them to one side but they still get reflected in our stock levels. People are then able to buy them online even though they are just waiting to be collected.

This second one is out biggest problem I think. It not only affects our online stock levels but it causes confusion when re-ordering. We might show a stock level but actually the item might be allocated to someone (waiting for them to collect) and it would be useful to re-order that now rather than wait.

Both of these problems would be solved if we could set the inventory to be deducted at the point of adding them to an open ticket. For the second one, we could use tickets to store items waiting to be collected. Obviously we would also need the feature to "re-stock the item" should it be removed from a ticket as well although for us that is pretty rare so I would happily do that manually if necessary. Currently we have to do all of the above manually and it causes some confusion.

Cheers

Glen

Message 3 of 10
Admin

Really appreciate you sharing this @CannarWilm and all the context behind it as well, it'll really help our team when they are developing new features. 

Tra
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 4 of 10
Beta Member

THIS! - such a big issue at my bar, we used to add items to open tickets for payment later but POS does not reduce the stock level...even though the customer nows has their drink. Therefore when I'm looking at my dashboard to prepare a stock order the dashboard doesn't reflect the true stock level. I've had to stop offering Tabs "open tickets" until this issue is resolved.

Message 5 of 10
Beta Member

I too agree this would be a great addition, similar to above, when items are put onto a Ticket or Bar Tab the stock is not reduced thus allowing overselling.

Message 6 of 10
Beta Member

I have exactly the same issue as @CannarWilm.  I have a craft shop with lots of new products arriving all the time.  Customers quite often ask me to put items aside for them to pick up at a later date but don't want to order on the website for pickup or delivery.  It's always a concern that, as the same products are available on our website for ordering, someone else will order on the website and effectively "snaffle" the items before my customer has had a chance to come in to pay.  I think the solution is something similar to a Layby sale that I used to use on another POS (not as good as Square in the main though!).

Any ideas if or when this feature will be implemented? ๐Ÿ™

Message 7 of 10
Super Seller

This feature request applies to Invoices too, where the same problem is seen. As soon as an item is added to an Invoice, it needs to become unavailable to other customers.

Thank you.

Alex Jessey
Message 8 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Valleycraft and @amjessey, thank you for raising this. We don't have a timeline as to when this feature will become available. I'll make sure to pass this on to our Product team. We'll post in the thread if there is any update. 

Emma
Message 9 of 10

Hi

Any update on this feature. This is really needed.

Pj

Message 10 of 10