x

Feature Request: Edit the default variation name

Beta Member

Feature Request: Edit the default variation name

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: I would like to be able to rename the default variant something other than 'Regular']

When I create an Item in the POS app, if there is only one variant the system defaults to calling it 'Regular' and I don't see a way to change it. It looks awful on receipts, and I'd like to be able to change the description of the default variant to something more meaningful.

For example, instead of a receipt showing 'Raisins - Regular', I'd prefer it to say 'Raisins - Thompson Seedless'. Just because there's only one variant of something doesn't mean it doesn't deserve a more descriptive name than 'Regular'.

0 Likes
7 Comments
Admin

Hi @the-refill-lady, thank you for reaching out! You should be able to edit the variation name even if there is only one variant. To do this on the Square Dashboard, you just need to:

1. Go to to your Items > Item Library

2. Select your item

3. Scroll down to Variations > Edit variation details 

Edit item name 1.png

4. Change the variation name

Edit item name 2.png

5. Click Done > Save

I hope this will help! Let me know if this works for you. 

Beta Member

Hi Tra,

Thank you, I didn't know that.

I don't think the way this is designed scores very highly on usability / UX, to be honest. You're showing me an Edit Item screen with a block of data clearly titled 'Variations'. If I add a second variant, then all the variation names are clearly displayed and editable from this screen without any extra clicks. But if I only have one variant I have to search out where to rename it with extra clicks? This makes no sense.

As a user, my feedback is that the developers should move the Variation Name field to this first screen and allow people to easily modify it when creating items and save other customers the work I will now need to do of looking at and modifying hundreds of items.

Admin

Thanks for your reply, @the-refill-lady! I will definitely flag this with our Product team so that the edit function can be made clearer. Let me know if there is anything else I can do at all and I'll be happy to help.

Super Seller

I know it's not the same as your question really - but you've also got the option not to show the extra product detail on receipts (printed & digital). So you could have it set to only show the main product name & no other info for each item. 

Admin

It's still super relevant, so I'll be sure to take note of that as well and pass it to our team @Sam_400º! Thank you for your suggestion 😊

Super Seller

@tranguyen It’s a current option & one I thought could be a work around (without needing to edit every item) for @the-refill-lady 👍

Beta Member

Thanks! Another thing I didn’t know 😂 I’ll check it out..