x
Super Seller

Increase maximum Gift Card load limit from current £750

We use Gift Cards as a means to run a payment on account system for our customers. Using either Subscriptions or Recurring Invoices they pay a set amount each month. We then periodically convert those payments into account credit by creating a Gift Card for an equal amount; we then discount the purchase price of said Gift Card by 100% which means the Gift Card can be issued with a positive value without tendering any cash. The Gift Card can then be redeemed by the customer.

The problem is the current limit of £750 per Gift Card means we have to issue up to four Gift Cards per client every six months, which is inefficient and proving to be impractical. It would be far easier of them and us if we can issue just one Gift Card per customer every six months, therefore, the Gift Card load limit needs to be increased. Preferably, the limit would be the same as an Invoice limit, namely £25,000 however we could accomodate a limit of £5,000 if required. Any increase would be welcome.

Alex Jessey
Message 1 of 8
Report Inappropriate Content
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Hi @amjessey, thank you so much for your post! I've flagged this to our Product team for future updates. I'll be sure to bounce back on this thread.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 8
Super Seller

Hi @tranguyen 

Thank you.

This payment-on-account type system I have described could be built into Square as new functionality so payments on account would automatically be converted into eGift Cards periodically. It could even form part of Square Loyalty.

Alex Jessey
Message 3 of 8
Super Seller

Hi @tranguyen 

In light of the £750 limit on Gift Cards and also the questionable way Square records VAT on sales that have been tendered using Gift Cards that have been given to the client for free (through a promotion), we have had to stop as a means to record customer account credit because it is requires far too much admin. Instead, we try to keep a record of account credit in a separate spreadsheet and redeem the account credit on invoices through discounting. This is still admin heavy but less so compared to the alternative. 

Please provide a comprehensive client account system in Square so payments to account can be received from the client and then used to pay subsequent invoices. 

Thank you.

Alex Jessey
Message 4 of 8
Super Seller

Alex Jessey
Message 5 of 8
Super Seller

I have a customer with two invoices with a gross value of £ 3,970 and he has credit on his account for an equal amount. In this particular scenario, I must record the sale as being tendered at £ 3,970 so I can't use discounting. I therefore need to create six Gift Cards with £ 750 on each and then tender the invoices using them. This admin takes a long time. Surely, there must be a better way? 

One thing that will instantly speed things up is to lift the £ 750 limit on Gift Cards. Has this request been put forward to the developers and is there any chance this will happen any time soon?

Thanks 

Alex Jessey
Message 6 of 8
Super Seller

And there's a daily limit of £ 750 per Gift Card per day so I have to spread this process over six days or use six different Gift Cards!

Alex Jessey
Message 7 of 8
Admin

Hi @amjessey, thanks for reverting back. 

I just checked and £750 is still the limit per 24hr, I'm guessing there's a legal implication here and that's why it hasn't changed. I can enquire anyway. 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 8 of 8