x
Beta Member

Is it possible to refund to gift card in the UK?

Hi, I found a thread that seems to indicate a feature was implemented in July 2017 to allow a refund to be issued as a gift card rather than on the original form of payment. However, I just had a look at one of my transactions from earlier today to see if it's possible and it doesn't give me an option to do this.

Has the feature been removed? Or is it just not available in the UK? Will you be making it available in the UK?

Message 1 of 12
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing this @tonydow! I can confirm that it is now possible to issue refund to physical gift cards in the UK. You can issue the refund through the Square Point of Sale app, Square for Retail, Square for Restaurant and also on your Square Dashboard.

To issue a refund to gift cards from both the app and Dashboard

1. Search for the transaction in your Transactions tab
  2. Click Issue Refund
  3. Select the item or amount you wish to refund. If you've enabled stock tracking, you'll also have the option to restock the item. 
  4. Before completing the refund, you'll have the option to Add Gift Card or SwipeNote: On the Square
    Dashboard, you will only have the option to Add Gift Card and will need to type out the digit on your plastic gift card

1.jpeg

Screenshot 2021-07-07 at 10.23.42.png

5. Issue refund to complete the transaction.

I hope this will help! You can read more about this feature in our Support Centre

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller

I assumed it was available - just had a look and found the same as you, with it defaulting to the payment method. 

Personally I think it's good business to refund in the same way as someone paid if it's needed (it will also save you the processing fee as this will be taken into account for the refund). 

In the past I've given gift cards more as a 'good will' gesture when someone had to cancel a booking at short notice & lost their deposit. To do this I just did a gift card sale & applied a 100% discount. The original transaction will stay as it was, so if you use the system to manage stock you'd need to manually adjust. 

Would be a feature I'd like to see though ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 12
Admin

Hi @the-refill-lady and @Sam_400ยบ, thank you for reaching out about this!

I did a bit of digging and it looks like this feature is currently only available in the US and not in the UK. I've flagged this as a feature request to our Product team, so hopefully we'll see it being added to the app in the market here.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!

Tra
Message 3 of 12
Beta Member

Thanks! 

I agree with @Sam_400ยบ  that usually itโ€™s best to refund to the original payment method but sometimes because Iโ€™m entering weights I can make a mistake with a decimal point and overcharge a customer. If they paid by card it is easy to issue them a refund without them having to come back but in the case that they paid cash it would be good to give them the option to have a gift card with the refund on (plus theyโ€™ll come back and spend it with me ๐Ÿ˜Š)

Message 4 of 12

Is this still not the case, or can we do now??

G

Message 5 of 12
Beta Member

I've been trying to find out how to do this too but unfortunately there still doesn't seem to be a way to refund to a gift card via the app.  You can do it from the Square Dashboard now though which is something.

Message 6 of 12
Admin

Hi @Valleycraft, thank you for reaching out! At the moment, it isn't possible to refund to a Gift Card via the Square app just yet. We are working to introduce this feature in the UK soon. 

I don't have a timeline on when this will be available but I would encourage you to check out our Beta Community to join and potentially get access to new features first when we test them out!

Tra
Message 7 of 12

Hi

I just tried with dashboard, but still doesn't seem to work. How do yo do it??

G

Message 8 of 12
Admin

Not yet unfortunately @Gerardlevy7 - we'll update this thread though once we have news to share!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 12
Beta Member

There is a notification in the POS app that you can refund to a Gift Card

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 10 of 12
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing this @tonydow! I can confirm that it is now possible to issue refund to physical gift cards in the UK. You can issue the refund through the Square Point of Sale app, Square for Retail, Square for Restaurant and also on your Square Dashboard.

To issue a refund to gift cards from both the app and Dashboard

1. Search for the transaction in your Transactions tab
  2. Click Issue Refund
  3. Select the item or amount you wish to refund. If you've enabled stock tracking, you'll also have the option to restock the item. 
  4. Before completing the refund, you'll have the option to Add Gift Card or SwipeNote: On the Square
    Dashboard, you will only have the option to Add Gift Card and will need to type out the digit on your plastic gift card

1.jpeg

Screenshot 2021-07-07 at 10.23.42.png

5. Issue refund to complete the transaction.

I hope this will help! You can read more about this feature in our Support Centre

Tra
Message 11 of 12

Hi, Why only to Physical Gift Cards? Physical cards cost money to order and it doesn't seem the most environmentally friendly option (especially as the refunded amount could be lower than the physical cost of the card to the retailer) Surely an option to refund to e-cards would make more sense, and in addition (if a mobile number or email address is collected) would allow for contactless refunding to the customer.

Message 12 of 12