x
Super Seller

Stand Alone Customer Facing Screen

@JessRog I have loved Square register since it's USA launch and now UK launch however it's most suited to customer facing - cash desk - fast food /takeaway sales.  I currently run on an iPad Air 2020 and whilst the reader is great  - most of our sales are £75+. so we have to hand over the Ipad for the client to tap in their pin - when we are open that is.   Is there anything planned for businesses like mine where the customer facing display could be sited near the door?

or Can you purchase the customer facing pad as a piece of stand alone kit? 

It would help us immensely to have a large screen reader where a client can see what you've selected/written or like Register let them select their purchase.  Even better would be wall mounted reader - which could be placed externally on your store wall, door or window.  This would mean square (UK NON ESSENTIAL) merchants could operate click and collect.  We currently have the QR code for the store by the door and each item in the window has its QR code in front of it so a client can purchase too but not everyone has a smart phone and the %merchant rate is less with the reader.

I hope this makes sense!

Message 1 of 12
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Twiggy, we have a new feature that allow you to connect your Square Point of Sale app on an iPad to the Terminal, which can work as a customer display and checkout device and may help in this case!

You can read more about it here. Let me know if you have any question and I'll be happy to help!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller

@Twiggy just another sellers view here.... but @JessRog is always so busy 😂 

We've all got our own bespoke businesses, so I know I'm not going to fully appreciate your set up - but why is it the register isn't the solution for this? I'm in a food van & have the main unit within arms reach & the customer display in front of where they're gonna be. I'll be ordering the longer cable for the display as soon as it's in the UK as then I'll be able to move the customer unit a little further away & probably put it on some sort of stand. Maybe even integrating it with a 'drive thought' style intercom & printer so I don't even see them until they collect. 

I've been able to test out the 2nd display that's part of the US systems - where you can have a 2nd iPad/iPod as a customer display but really wasn't worth the effort, as it doesn't operate as a pin pad & for any pin sales you still need the main unit to be accessible. 

I've also tested 'other' options - nothing has bested the register for  ease of use & plain old stability. 

The online rates have/are coming down to 1.9% so at least it narrows that gap a little if relying on click & collect. 

I'd be really interested in how you'd set everything up as sounds like you've got ideas I'd like to steal! 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 12
Super Seller

Hey - We don't have a cash desk - all sales are made standing up - all surfaces are in the work area - not accessible to customers.  These get very wet with water, floral transport gel and stem juice from the flowers - we have a walll mounted Imac - everything is wall mounted except a small "dry "area where we keep the wireless keyboard - of which we have gone through 4 in 5 years 😣

Message 3 of 12
Super Seller

@Twiggy hehe 'stem juice' 

Ah - yer, I see where you're coming from then! 

With the customer display removed you could wall mount the register in the same way as the iMac I guess - but not the perfect solution. 

Might be worth dropping your business case over to beta-uk@squareup.com as Jess said she was multi tasking on some other stuff but there are a couple of others keeping an eye on that. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 4 of 12
Alumni

I have some longer cables I can send you! I didn't know you needed one  - apologies 😁

Jess
Beta Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 5 of 12
Super Seller

@JessRog wrote:

I have some longer cables I can send you! I didn't know you needed one  - apologies 😁

Ah well I *did* email you 😂

Pizza Is Chill

Message 6 of 12
Alumni

Hi @Twiggy  This is great feedback.

Could having the 2m cable for the Register help? 

I will DM you about a separate beta we have running at the moment, that could help! 

Jess
Beta Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 7 of 12
Super Seller

@JessRog wrote:

Hi @Twiggy  This is great feedback.

Could having the 2m cable for the Register help? 

I will DM you about a separate beta we have running at the moment, that could help! 

If it's the one I was/am on then YES! I think it would be perfect! 

If it is & it's still on the same devices then I can forward on the kit you sent me as I think @Twiggy  would be a better tester for it by far & is also iOS based like I am. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 8 of 12
Alumni

Will send you the long cable tomorrow. Its exactly the same as the cabel that comes with the register, but longer!

Jess
Beta Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 9 of 12
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Twiggy, we have a new feature that allow you to connect your Square Point of Sale app on an iPad to the Terminal, which can work as a customer display and checkout device and may help in this case!

You can read more about it here. Let me know if you have any question and I'll be happy to help!

Tra
Message 10 of 12
Beta Member

It is great to see the TERMINAL can work as a customer display, but does this also work from the RESTAURANTS app?

Message 11 of 12
Admin

This feature is not available on Square for Restaurants, Square for Retail or Square Appointments app @WBinc. It is a relatively new feature and our team are continuing to develop it further so I'll be sure to share your feedback with them.

If you haven't already,  I would encourage you to check out our Beta Community to join and potentially get access to new features first when we test them out.

Tra
Message 12 of 12