x

Weighted / Price embedded Barcodes

Anyone manage to use weighted barcodes (aka price embedded or random weight barcodes) with Square?

Really really really need to be able to do this (i own a zero-waste/refill shop which sells many things by weight) as I will be getting new label printing scales shortly. If I can't do it with Square I will have to move to another POS software which will make me upset and very grumpy.

Cheers,

Jo

Message 1 of 23
Report Inappropriate Content
22 REPLIES 22
Admin

Hi @Likenanadid, thanks for your post! I had a look into this and it looks like this feature is not available with Square right now.

I know our team are working to integrate a scale directly with the Square app which may help with part of this but I'm not sure how the scale integration will work with printing labels. I'm hoping to share an update about the scale integration soon so I'll be sure to follow up once I have more information. If I hear of any workaround or tips from our team, I'll definitely share it here as well. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 23

This is very disappointing. I am part of a network of 100s of zero waste shops around the globe who are always looking for integration between POS and labelling scales and it's a real pity that other POS software providers are so far ahead of Square. I'm afraid I can't wait any longer so will have to move on. My next question therefore is - can I keep my Weebly website when I move to another POS provider?

Message 3 of 23
Admin

Really sorry to hear it @Likenanadid! You can still use your Square Online site & Weebly site when you move to another Point of Sale provider. I'm not sure how stocks will sync between the Online site and other Point of Sale system, so it might be something worth checking with the new provider and see if they provide any integration that can help with managing stock automatically. 

Tra
Message 4 of 23
Beta Member

Hi @Likenanadid, this feature is of highest importance to us too, and I'm pleased to say we do have it working correctly on our iPad based Square POS.  Sadly, it is not yet working on our new Register kit but I have been assured it is coming!!!  

We have CAS label-printing scales (LP1 and CL5200) and have configured the format of the printed barcode to match the (very specific) Square requirements.  It was a while ago I configured it but I am sure I can dig out the info if needed.

@tranguyen is there any further word on this feature working on Register?  And also are we any closer on UK approval for the integrated scales functionality?  Jess was hopeful that both were not far off!

Message 5 of 23
Admin

@filletandbone Helen here jumping in for Tra today. We are working on bringing support for some scales but we don't have a timeline to share yet! We post new features announcements on our Product Updates blog so if you haven't already sign in and click Subscribe on that page - you'll be notified of any future updates.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 23
Beta Member

@Helen wrote:

@filletandboneHelen here jumping in for Tra today. We are working on bringing support for some scales but we don't have a timeline to share yet! We post new features announcements on our Product Updates blog so if you haven't already sign in and click Subscribe on that page - you'll be notified of any future updates.

Thanks Helen, that's a great suggestion, I'm not yet subscribed to that thread so will do so.  Any word on price-embedded barcode scanning working on Register?

Message 7 of 23
Admin

Sounds good @fillteandbone! I don't have an update on price-embedded barcode scanning for Register but as soon as we have any updates to share we'll let you know. I see you're already in the Beta Community too so keep an eye out there too for upcoming programmes!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 8 of 23
Beta Member

hi, I just came across this article. 

https://squareup.com/help/gb/en/article/7419-scanning-bar-codes-from-label-printing-scales-on-point-...

It states that the price embedded feature is available.

can you confirm this, please?

Message 9 of 23
Admin

Hi @Alans1, thanks for flagging this!

I've checked in with the appropriate team and we are actively working on bringing this feature to the UK right now. We don't have a timeline when this will be available to use just yet but I'll update this thread with more details as I have them. 

Tra
Message 10 of 23
Beta Member

I Tra. It seems odd that the link above relates to a gb help article and has the currency references in £ if it hasn’t been released in the UK yet.

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 11 of 23
Admin

The team are looking into this @tonydow! It appears the article was published prematurely before we were able to roll out the feature completely. 

Tra
Message 12 of 23
Beta Member

Hi, 

Does this mean there is a date set for this feature?

We really need this feature.

Thanks,

Alan

Message 13 of 23
Beta Member

Hi @tranguyen , we were very excited on Weds when we discovered (by accident) that Register has started recoginising price-embedded barcodes! 🙌  We had upgraded to the new version of Square the day before so are wondering if that was something to do with it.

However, after making the most of the functionality extensively yesterday, we have noticed it is not yet perfected.  We have found that Register always identifies the correct product from the barcode but displays two errors:

- in one case it goes to the correct item but leaves the cursor in the weight box (for manual entry) rather than automatically adding/calculating the weight.

- in several cases, the barcode adds the correct product but the wrong weight/price.

In ALL cases, the exact same barcodes scan correctly on our Square Stands (which makes me think it is not a set up issue our end).

I thought a bit of feedback might be useful, do let me know if you need further info.

And any news on integrated scales yet?  With those and PEB scanning working, we'd have our dream system!

Thanks. Tom

Message 14 of 23
Admin

Thanks so much for sharing this @filletandbone! I'm going to check in with our team and see if there's any known issue around the Register recognising price-embedded barcodes. If the team required any additional information, I'll be sure to reach out to you directly!

In terms of the integrated scale, still nothing I'm afraid. We're still waiting for necessary approval and we don't have a timeline yet at the moment when it will definitely happen, but I'll be sure to share any update I have. 

Tra
Message 15 of 23
Beta Member

Me again  

Any further news on price/weight-embedded barcode scanning working on Register yet?  Double frustrating for us as we have it working fine on our SPOS Stand.  I appreciate they are two different OSs but it does seem a long time to wait...

Thanks, Tom.

Message 16 of 23

IMG_20211001_175133.jpg

Message 17 of 23

It seems as though it's only available in America unfortunately. I can't understand why it's not available in UK though. 

Message 18 of 23
Admin

Hey @Earthrefresh, thank you for your post! The scales integration required us to have necessary approval from governing bodies before it can be rolled out fully. Our teams are still actively pursuing this and we hope to be able to share an update soon. 

Tra
Message 19 of 23

Hi did you manage to get this sorted? I'm currently in the same position as yourself. Customer services recommended the CAS 2000 Jr. scale but you have to manually calculate item prices and enter these in the POS rather than scanning in.

Message 20 of 23
Beta Member

hi,

atm, we just have a product that has a price/weight e.g. £5 per kg. The system would then just ask for the weight and we manually input it...

Will be changing POS because of this. We've been waiting since march and no update yet...

Message 21 of 23