x

Barcode Scanner to Read SKU and Price for Weight-Based Items

Barcode Scanner to Read SKU and Price for Weight-Based Items

The barcodes on our seafood products contain both the Product SKU and the weight-based Price for each individual item. We need to be able to read the barcode with the Bluetooth scanners and have Square extract/interpret both the Product SKU and Package Price from each barcode that we scan. This would speed up our operation tremendously and completely eliminate any hand-keyed errors and re-work. How do we do this?

Thanks,

Gary

24 Comments

We have the same issue selling meat at farmer's markets. Any response?

The reply that we received from Square via a support ticket was utterly useless. They effectively said that this functionality is not supported, which we already knew! We're working with a private programmer to develop this functionality now. It's pretty straight-forward, becuase both Square Register (or "Point of Sale" as it's now known) and the barcode device manufacturer offer APIs. All we need is an iOS app that resides between the barcode scanner and the Square POS app to help communicate correctly.

Square

@garymroot @afmyrin - We don't currently offer an integration like this, but it definitely sounds like it would be useful. In another thread discussing this feature, other sellers suggested programming their scale to include prices. Once they have the price, they'll add the corresponding item with a variable price on the register, and then enter the amount indicated on their scale. 

@garymroot - We do offer an API for our app, as well. They can find more information on our Developer Center

Hope this helps a bit!

@garymroot @afmyrin, did you move toward a solution to reading weight-based barcodes?  We are going to try finding another POS if we cannot integrate this functionality for our farmers' market sales of meats labelled using a printing scale -- typing each price is way too cumbersome the way Square has it set up.

We're still using a cash register/scanner that scans the price embedded barcodes. Really wish square would provide this functionality. Considering Revel or other POS that does.

We had a developer look into this, but Square's API doesn't make it a simple task. It appears that we'd have to create a new GUI to replace the Point of Sale GUI. We're leaning towards switching over to Revel.

Thank you both; your quick responses are much appreciated and just what we need to know.  Cheers!

@garymroot @spraycreek @afmyrin I was wondering if you had discovered any solutions for this? 

I'm trying to learn more about this problem as part of my startup and figure out what types of ways people are going about trying to resolve this issue.

Thanks

@John_forageai nothing new discovered on our end since the info in this thread, and I've been looking. Revel offers this functionality, but it is expensive and more complicated to set up. We are considering setting up online sales using another food-specific platform (Local Orbit)  and having their developers create a mobile sales element for us. In other words, lack of variable weight pricing in Square is a deal breaker for us going into the coming year. Good luck! 

Definitely would be interested in learning more about your business and needs. I'll shoot over a PM.