x

Feature Request: Customize category icons, and add photos to categories like items

Super Seller Alumni

Feature Request: Customize category icons, and add photos to categories like items

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Can you apply pictures for categories?

Would LOVE to be able to add a picture to each Category I create. I see we can add a picture for items but not for categories. Could you send a request for a future update for this? Would make our Square Register screen so much nicer and prettier. Thank you.

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Customize category icons, and add photos to categories like items

Yeah... still waiting for this...

Verified Answer

Re: Pictures for Categories

Hello @ryanwnzl  

I know this thread has been around the sun a couple of times now. I've gone ahead and reached out to our Item Library Product Manager for an update. Currently this request is on the backlog and we're not expecting it to be implemented anytime soon. I understand this isn't the answer a lot of sellers want to hear, but I want to be as transparent as possible.

There are a lot of factors that come into play when prioritizing feature requests - comments like all of yours on this thread are one of the big inputs our product teams take into consideration. However, there are other things to consider as well -  build time, engineering bandwidth, and cost to name a few, as well as balancing this request with others that may take up time from the same engineering group.

I know there are 8 pages of comments about this issue, and it is a lot. Some of these factors like engineering bandwidth are less visible to you all, which is why I wanted to give a little insight into some of the behind-the-scenes work.

Thank you for your patience, and understanding - our eng teams are working on other features that we hope make POS even better for you. If we have updates on this thread, we'll post them here. All of you who have commented are already subscribed, and anyone new to the thread can click the "Subscribe" link on the first page.

179 Comments

How many times must this be repeated? Your customers want PICTURES on CATEGORIES.

Please and Thanks

Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Mayflower - thanks for reaching out here and making your first post on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you join us.

I've merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who also voiced requests for photo capabilities for Categories - this helps us keep track fro record keeping purposes. We can confirm that this still remains a Feature Request. While we don't have a shareable timeline on this feature just yet, we hope to be able to bring a positive update on this fron soon.

Thanks for your continued patience. 

Yes, can we add our voice to this request? 

We are an ART GALLERY, so you can imagine that plentiful use of IMAGES is helpful, if not downright de rigueur! Just think of the category "Paintings" with numerous artists within that category (as "Items"), each of whom has multiple paintings. Each of those paintings must show as "Variations" for which it would be just LOVELY if we could have the actual painting thumbnail for an IMAGE.

Hierarchical arrangements such as this are ubiquitous in the computer world, and this lack is glaring.

PLEASE enable this option, as it's so OBVIOUSLY desirable!

I see it's been a few years since this thread began. Any feedback on this feature request?? I too am looking for this feature. If it can be done on items, why can't it be done on categories??

Beta Member

Yep, I want to upload an icon so it is easy for our workers to ID quickly. Had to move all our slices into one category, but want to differentiate it from the whole pies. Please, please, please add the ability to upload an image for Categories as well!

3+ year on...is there any update on this yet or are Square a company who ignore feature requests?

Dismayed by this thread and our experience with Square.

Can you give us a timescale in this?  Would make a lot more user friendly, particularly for new staff who have to decipher categories by acronym/colour. 

Hopefully we won’t be ignored here.

Regards

Trad Music Trust

I recently got a call from Square from a guy introducing himself as my new rep. He has been helpful trying to answer questions about creating an on-line store and its functions. During our conversations I brought up that Square has not responded to this issue for 3 years and the same for another issue people have been posting on for 6 months. All I got was the party line "we get lots of requests, we try to respond, Covid has slowed things down, blah, blah blah". So while I really like square for my store I am not holding my breath on any upgrades happening.

When is Stripe going to allow for images for categories?  This is terribly annoying for servers and who came up with two letters?  That makes it even more confusing!

Square Community Moderator

Hey @UnKnown,

This is the Seller Community for Square actually and not Stripe. 

Did you just accidentally say Stripe and meant Square? Want to make sure you're in the right place. 

They allow adding an image, but where is it? It don't show anywhere online.

It doesn't show in shop all, or within the category or within the first level of the category, nowhere. If, someone know how or has more info, PLEASE let me know.

Thank you!