x

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

Beta Member

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

We need to be able to preauthorize credit cards when running a tab. Period.  We really enjoyed the low buy in and easy menu development and a couple of the other features, but a bar/restaurant needs to be able to run a tab and preauthorize a credit card.  I've gone back and looked at conversations about it and it appears that this has been a CONSTANT request by users that has gone ignored.

I'd like to know why it isn't available.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

It IS FOR SURE COMING!! 🙂 they’re running beta testing on it now, so hang in there, I almost switched, glad I didn’t because I really do like the company but this definitely has been and issue that’s cost me hundreds of $$. Hopefully testing goes well and it rolls out soon 🙂

698 Comments

Can I swipe a credit card and save it under an open ticket without completing the sale?

Looking to keep tabs open behind a bar without having to keep or hold onto the customer's credit card.

I need to take a deposit that can be easily refunded for my customers that hire my products. Has this feature been added to square yet?

thanks

Rick

Square Community Moderator

Hi @RD3

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that touches on the same topic. 

While your'e not able to accept a security deposit or pre-authorize a card, it might be worth checking out the following thread:

Test Partial Payments in the Invoices Request Deposit Beta

We too need to see Square implement pre-auth. We are wanting to use Square in our upcoming Bar/Restaurant. We will need to be able to do pre-auth, in order to start an open bar tab, with the customers Credit card. This would ensure we don't have any walk outs on the tabs.

Thanks

That's the request on this thread going back a couple of years, and the answer is "no".  It would be a very good feature for Square to offer, even with a limit on the amount of time a card can be stored it would be a big help for a bar business as commented by everyone on this thread.  Come on Square...help us out!

Based on a conversation I had with Square representatives it is not coming until Q4 2018. 

We are switching to Clover for this reason. 

We might come back but can't wait around. We have a brewery taproom (bar) and need the ability to open tabs and give their card back instead of holding on to it. Many businesses in our area use Clover so the expectation is set and customers get annoyed that we keep their cards.

As a brewery taproom owner (bar) we will be leaving Square for a competitor that allows card pre-authorization.

I was told by customer service that we should post a request on this feature so it be noted by the company.

We might come back when this is available but need it more now than the benefits of staying.

Since Q4 has come and gone, I wonder when and IF this will ever be implemented.  Kind of ironic for a company which touts it helps us with our businesses doesn't help its own business by adding such a repeatedly requested feature.  Way to lose customers.

"Based on a conversation I had with Square representatives it is not coming until Q4 2018." 

Please also add my company to the list requesting pre-authorization of credit cards. Renting our units requires this to make sure funds are available.

Thank you, 

17/70 Storage LLC

Please update us on when this feature will be available.