x

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

Beta Member

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

We need to be able to preauthorize credit cards when running a tab. Period.  We really enjoyed the low buy in and easy menu development and a couple of the other features, but a bar/restaurant needs to be able to run a tab and preauthorize a credit card.  I've gone back and looked at conversations about it and it appears that this has been a CONSTANT request by users that has gone ignored.

I'd like to know why it isn't available.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

It IS FOR SURE COMING!! 🙂 they’re running beta testing on it now, so hang in there, I almost switched, glad I didn’t because I really do like the company but this definitely has been and issue that’s cost me hundreds of $$. Hopefully testing goes well and it rolls out soon 🙂

698 Comments

When I pre-authorize a card lets say $75, Will the remainder of what wasn't spent return to the cardholder automatically? How does this work as I am in the process of starting to use appointments? 

Also, I was wondering If square had a way to set-up a monthly membership like an app or a way to do this so I could possibly add it to my website? We are in the process of starting a membership program with our business and I would like to add a signup page a way to be direct with square if possible or would it be something Id have to do on the back end?

Beta Member

I need this functionality

Alumni

Hi @neverwhere200 - Thanks for your questions about Appointments. It turns out that you can't preauthorize a card with the app. You can require pre-payment in full or set up no-show protection as sort of workarounds. You can find all those settings in your dashboard

Also, Square doesn't have a specific program for memberships, but I have seen some merchants set up recurring invoices into a membership like program. Read more about that here: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5096

I provide rentals and would also like the option to hold and refund a deposit through the Square app. 

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Pre-authorization

I have a hotel, I want to know if I can use to check and lock the money on the card once someone has booked me on Booking.com (booking send me a numbers of the card )

Thanks

Super Seller

there is not a way to pre-authorize a card.  if your swipe or manually type in a card number for a transaction it will charge the card.

And if after I want to cancel the transaction? How much is the cost?

Super Seller

@AthenaUp, there is 0 cost to refund a transaction, you get your fees back and everything.  It's like it never happened except you can see it in your transaction history.

Square Community Moderator

Unfortunately @AthenaUp there isn't a way to pre-authorize a card. 

To add on to that, we don't recommend using the refund feature as a pre-authorization workaround for payments and deposits. Refunds can tie up your customer's money for up to 7 - 14 days (depending on their bank). The best workaround would be to charge a percentage up front as a down payment, and then subtract this amount from their final bill. 

Add me to the group who would like to be able to Hold Funds for a security deposit.  To use the refund process to return a customer's funds is too long and certainly not going to endear us merchants to customers.