x

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

Beta Member

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

We need to be able to preauthorize credit cards when running a tab. Period.  We really enjoyed the low buy in and easy menu development and a couple of the other features, but a bar/restaurant needs to be able to run a tab and preauthorize a credit card.  I've gone back and looked at conversations about it and it appears that this has been a CONSTANT request by users that has gone ignored.

I'd like to know why it isn't available.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

It IS FOR SURE COMING!! 🙂 they’re running beta testing on it now, so hang in there, I almost switched, glad I didn’t because I really do like the company but this definitely has been and issue that’s cost me hundreds of $$. Hopefully testing goes well and it rolls out soon 🙂

698 Comments

We rent jet skis. We need a damage deposit. 

I said that wrong. We use deposits to hold time slots and apply that to the sale. We need to put a hold on a credit card for damage. This would be refunded upon return of in-tact equipment.

Hey Guys,

We have a situation with our accounting when it comes to deposits - we rent and take a refundable deposit in addition to the rental fee, up front.  We don't want the refundable deposit to necesarily hit our bank account unless we need to keep the funds due to damage (makes for easier book keeping on our end).  Does anyone know of a way to have Square hold funds for a week or so?

If Square has a way to hold the funds until our final inspection, that would be great to refund the deposit directly from Square rather than our bank account.

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions!!

Square

Currently, Square doesn’t offer support for collecting deposits or temporarily holding funds in this way, but it's definitely a popular request. I’ll share your post with our product team in the meantime. I'll also update this thread should that change in the future!

I would also like to use holds for room reservations at a B&B and guarantee against room/equipment damage.

Square

@Idlewilder - Thanks for the post! We'll be sure to pass along your request to our product liaison team, as well. 

I also need to be able to pre-authorize cards.  I run a business that accepts fairly large orders, often over $1,000, and it can take a few days to process and ship the order.  Being able to pre-authorize the card can allow the cardholder to see that a charge is pending, and perhaps reduce fraud.  It also allows me to know that the card is good prior to pulling and packing the order.

We have started renting out our tent trailer and also need a security deposit from customers. Can this feature be expedited to save customers from stress and heartache waiting up to 10 days for a refund? Remember, I am a customer too and wouldn't want that stress waiting on Square to reimburse me. 

Square

@jgillam - Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. While I can't speak to if / when features will be developed, I'm more than happy to pass along the feedback to our product liaison team! 

We need this option to hold a deposit for a short term rental to cover any damages to the house.