x

Can I process an exchange?

I own a clothing boutique and would love for square to come up with a return category. As of now we are doing everything on paper but it would be nicer, more organized and professional if we could do everything to square and it automatically put it back into inventory. Along with asking how the customer would like the return back. We do store credit or exchange so as of now we are just making gift cards and using our discount category to clear out the total as we put it back on the gift card for them to use in future purchases.

Message 1 of 54
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can I process an exchange?

Hi there!

Know it's been a while, but I wanted to follow up on this post. Exchanges with automatic inventory adjustments are now available in the Square Retail App. It's still on the roadmap for the Square Point of Sale app.

Learn more here

Thanks as always for being a Square seller!

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Absolutely see how that would streamline the process, that gift card trick is a great work around if you only allow exchange or store credit and not full returns! 

Keep in mind that if you do process a full return on the original transaction, your inventory will not be adjusted and you will have to manually edit your inventory to match the return. 

I'll be sure to share your concerns and requests with our product liaison team! 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
Square

Best Answer

Absolutely see how that would streamline the process, that gift card trick is a great work around if you only allow exchange or store credit and not full returns! 

Keep in mind that if you do process a full return on the original transaction, your inventory will not be adjusted and you will have to manually edit your inventory to match the return. 

I'll be sure to share your concerns and requests with our product liaison team! 

Message 2 of 54

I agree!  We are faced with the same situation... We offer store credit and exchanges only.  It would be great if we could simply scan our item, change the quantity to '-1' then scan the item that the customer is exchanging for.  This would be a simple way (in my opinion) to return the item to inventory and determine the cost difference between the items.

This would be a VERY helpful feature!

Thank you,

JLO

Message 3 of 54

This is exactly what I'm wanting to know.....clients purchase products then change their mind. How do we do and exchange?

Message 4 of 54
Alumni

Hi @3rdgeneration - are you using Square for Retail or POS? Exchanges aren't yet possible, but one of the most requested features for retail. Our product team in charge of Square for Retail has heard you all loud and clear and exchanges is currently their #1 priority. 

Message 5 of 54

Both......

Message 6 of 54
Alumni

Thanks for clarifying. As I said, the Square for Retail team has exchanges as its first priority. We'll keep you in the loop for updates as we learn more!

Message 7 of 54

Do you have an expected or approximate lauch date for the update allowing exhanges and handling inventory adjustments accordingly?

Message 8 of 54
Square Community Moderator

Hi @asakaftans

We don't have any hard date or timeline at this time, and while we would love to share with everyone if we did, we don't disclose product update or new feature information until it's actually launched. 

When it comes to product updates and new features, timelines and dates can change by the day since there's so many variables at play. 

As soon as this becomes available, we'll let everyone know 👍🏼

Message 9 of 54

Is the exchange feature going to be available for POS too?  We are a small boutique and this feature is needed and would be a plus.  

Message 10 of 54

Hey @warehouseongrov

While I can't say definitively if this will be available for Point of Sale, it's one of the more popular feature requests we've seen. 

We'll continue to advocate for this on your behalf, and hopefully we can reprioritize this for the Point of Sale app in the future. 

Message 11 of 54

As it’s been almost 2 years since the last update I see on exchanges through Square POS, has there been any resolution on adding the feature? It seems a very basic necessity of most small businesses, and it’s a hassle for us and for customers to have to use a “workaround.” This feature, as well as the ability to duplicate items, are both high priority for many of your Square clients, as I see in the threads....hoping you have heard our calls and are planning on being responsive. Thank you! 

Message 12 of 54

Hi there, @UrbanBoondocksM - thanks for reaching out here and adding your voice in support of this feature. While we don't have a shareable timeline on this front just yet, we look to be able to pop back here soon with some news as soon as we have some to offer.

Thanks for your continued patience! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 54

From what I'm seeing on the topic, there isn't any way to process a return of a gift where it was bought by the giver with a credit card. I thought I might be able to just issue a gift card for the amount, Utah that wouldn't really process the return, it shows as a new transaction. Not good enough. This should have been thought out long before Square hit the market, it's not like this is uncommon.

Message 14 of 54

I have many customers that exchange or refund one item and purchase another while in the store. I'd like to do the refund and apply it against the current sale. Is there a way to do this in one transaction?

Message 15 of 54
Super Seller

not currently at least.

the refund would have to be proccesed by either refunding to their credit card on credit card purchases or cash back and then the next sale would have to take palce.

Message 16 of 54
Square

@VanKalkerFarms - Thanks for helping out with this one. 

@eqgoddess - This is definitely a popular feature request that we've heard. I went ahead and moved your question into this thread that was already started on the topic. We'll be sure to let you know if anything changes!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 17 of 54

Yes, but you can't return/exchange only one item from the original transaction, its all or nothing- and you can only do so with the original reciept (unless you know exactly when the transaction occurred).  And even then, if they paid using a card- it will refund their card the entire amount and then if it's an exchange you then have to re charge their card for the new item.  Just a huge hassle for a company that claims that they are small retail business specific, and their customer service told us they get this complaint every day...  you'd think if they heard this complaint daily that they'd prioritize it for their customers instead of worrying about wether their name is "square register" or "square POS".  At this time we are in the market for a new POS system- one that actually functions for inventory management as well as accurate return/exchange procedures.  

Message 18 of 54
Square

@KandS - It looks like we're tracking this feature request in this thread. We'll be sure to share updates here in the future. Thanks for the feedback. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 19 of 54

We'd love to know what system you ended up going with, as we are having issues with exchanges as well. Thanks! 

Message 20 of 54

I have a similar issue that is closely related. One of our products carries a deposit on the case. If they bring the case back they get the deposit back. We have no way of processing this return as it stands and it it part of one of most popular items. We deal with it on an almost daily basis. As it stands i have to deal with all the deposits on a cash only basis seperate from the square system. Is there a way to issue an item as a credit. 

Example is a transaction from earlier today: Customer brings in two empty cases but ones to purchase a new case. Thats the price of the case minus the credit of the extra case. Currently i see no way to input this into square and have to run the case as one transaction and do a cash return for the deposit.

Is there something I am missing or is this just not possible currently in square.

Message 21 of 54