x

Can we create a custom field on check out in Square Online?

Can we create a custom field on check out in Square Online?

Is there any way for us to create a custom field in the checkout - preferably a tickbox? Alternatively, is there a way for us to change the default value in the optional note to the seller?

We need a place somewhere for them to denote they want to request a tax-deductible tax invoice.

0 Likes
10 Comments
Admin

Hey @enjoychurch,

At the moment it's not possible to create a custom field in checkout - though by default any receipt / tax invoice you provide a customer should be a tax deductible!

The ABN you provide for your organisation on sign up is linked to the Square account and displays on the receipt, so provided you supplied the correct ABN upon sign up all the customer should need to claim a tax deduction is the receipt from Square (which can be resent if lost!).

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Another suggestion is the ability to add Custom Fields to the order page and checkout page. As in my instance, school lunch order deliveries, the customer (the parent) may not be the person that accept the order (the student).

Hi,

We use Square Online for organisations to pay their participation fees to our workshops. We have added a modifier to the item we sell (i.e. participation fee) where people can add what organisation they are from when they pay (from what I understand, there is no other way we can get input from our customers at point of sale).

The problem we have is that nowhere on the check out page are customers prompted to enter 'organisation name', 'business information' or anything like that, only personal information. Square does not give us the option to do so either from what I understand. So on the invoice, there is no mention under 'Billing Address' that the invoice/order confirmation is for the organisation and not the individual who paid.

If there are no obvious solutions that would help us fix this issue, I have two questions that could potentially lead to a solution:

a) Change the "Apt, Suite, Floor, etc." under Billing Address on Point of Sale page to say "Organisation" instead (or at least allow us to modify this placeholder text) - it would be even better if Square would make it possible for us to add custom fields to the Point Of Sale page.

b) Is it possible to make a merge tag (e.g. first name = %first_name%) for input taken from a modifier? That would be a good back up solution that would look less professional but definitely do the trick.

Thanks in advance,

Christine

Admin

Hey @christine-tw, thanks for posting and welcome to the community!

I moved your post to this existing feature request thread covering custom fields at checkout. At the moment the platform checkout process doesn't have the ability to add custom fields, but we are tracking this as a feature request.

You can integrate a general "Notes" section into the checkout flow as a possible workaround, if you're able to ask your customers to add these details here (perhaps via a popup or text directions on your items), but I understand this isn't as elegant as having a text field and is more prone to user error.

We'll update this thread is anything changes, thank you for sharing a detailed use case - I'll pass it on to our eCommerce team.

Hi Seamus,

Thanks for your response.

I've seen the Notes function. Unfortunately it's not intuitive enough for our demographic. The modifier information still shows on the invoice so it works just as well as the notes would, it's just not located where we need it to be on the Order Confirmation email (i.e. under Billing Information).

Were you able to find out whether or not we could utilise the merge tag tactic somehow?

Thanks in advance,

Christine

Admin

@christine-tw I checked in with our eCommerce team and it looks like at the moment this isn't doable with custom HTML unfortunately, I'll pass the feedback on though - it's an interesting idea and could add some more functionality here!

Hi,

We would love to have custom fields for the checkout in Square online. We are currently relying on customers adding details in "Add note to seller" field but customers often miss this step and have to email the details to us after placing an order. It's a hassle for the customers and time consuming for us to have to update individual orders at the time of shipping.

Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your vote to this feature request, @cppspandc1

As a workaround, I'd like to suggest using a text box modifier. You can make a box modifier a required field, so customers can't skip it. You can get started with text box modifiers here. Please let us know if this could be a workable workaround for you! 

Thanks for the suggestion ARIE. If I understand correctly, the text box modifier would have to be added for each item. By making this a required field, the customer would have to enter text for every item when they add it to their cart, is that correct? I can see how this might work if an order includes a single item, but our customers usually purchase between 2 and 10 different items per order.

Square Community Moderator

That's right, it would have to be added to each item individually, and I can see how this wouldn't be ideal when customers usually order several items. We'll let you know about any updates to this feature request here!