x

Can we scan barcodes using a phone/mobile device?

Can we scan barcodes using a phone/mobile device?

It would be very helpful, if you could scan your barcodes with you qreader, on your phone, when doing purchases with register app. 

Is this at all in the works. 

1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: can we scan barcodes

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for circling back, @rrowe1975! We don't currently offer the ability to scan items using your phone itself but that would be a great way to streamline the checkout process. I'll be sure to share your suggestion with our Product Liaison team.

In the meantime, hopefully one of our currently supported hardware options will be useful. Thank you for your patience and keep in touch for updates!

57 Comments
Super Seller Alumni

With square POS you can scan the item in the search bar to find it and then update it by entering the number.  If you are asking for an app that will auto tally your inventory based on the number of times it was scanned I am not aware of one.  You can, however, do this with google sheets or apple numbers and then apply a few formulas to count the entries. 

I would like this too

If you are using Square Register, there is an app in the Square App marketplace called Shopventory. It is a delicious suite and probably the reason our square-up guys have not yet moved on a no-brainer feature like this as yet. Who want's an extra barcode reader when your phone can do it? Well Shopventory has got you covered! $29 is your starter pack

My need is similar, but I want to scan in pre-existing UPC bar codes to process customer orders using the camera on my iPad or iPhone INSTEAD of purchasing the rather expensive stand-alone scanner (PayPal does this). Is this an option with Square?

Hello @eoGEAR! Currently we don't have this ability, but we are tracking feedback on this thread! 

There is no timeline on when this might be available. 

It's very disappointing that your customers have asked for an app fix for over 2 years and you've done nothing but reply with the same run around answer. Very sad. 

Thanks I have tried Shopventory, from what I can tell it only reads barcodes to intake inventory and and does not tie into to the check out funcitinion of Square.  Am I wrong?

Hello @Celebration, this feature request is kind of a tricky one. 

I know this thread has been around for awhile, but there are a lot of factors that come into play when it comes to building a new feature for Square Point of Sale. We have to think about cost, time to build, how far we can stretch engineering resources, and seller feedback to name a few. 

Building a barcode scanner into the Point of Sale app has it's own unique challenges. One being that Square Point of Sale is available on a number of devices and each device has a different camera and hardware specifications. If we were to build this, we would want it to work well across all devices.Another is that we've never built a barcode scanner before, so this would be a new feature built from the ground up. 

I know this answer may be disappointing, but I hope it provides some clarification to why we're still in the stages of collecting feedback for this feature request. 

If you still have questions please feel free to reach out to me! 😀

Why not just use an open-source third-party barcode scanner and integrate them to square? It will not time-consuming or costly to build, but you will gain more user by having this feature. Camera compatibility was never an issue. Most POS out there already done this a long time ago, and it's a standard feature. I'm little confused why Square which more advanced than most POS does not have it. Except you guys have another reason which better than @Chad I think you should go check some competitors. Cheers 🙂

This is all I want. Really. I hate not having a bar code reader to find my products. It's the driving force on my debate to leave square. Its a qr reader. So Here...heres the Google API for the ML kit

https://developers.google.com/ml-kit/ 

It will answer all your questions.  Please add this...pretty please.