x

Can we use text messaging instead of email for Square Marketing?

Can we use text messaging for marketing instead of e-mail? Most of my customers give phone # only.

Message 1 of 391
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Can we use text messaging instead of email for Square Marketing?

📳Hello Everyone!📳

I'm reaching out to those who've posted to this thread as we're hosting a question & answer session with the product team for Text Message Marketing on Wednesday, February 17th.

Have questions about setting up or feedback on how it's going so far? Please head over to this thread and let us know: Live Q&A: Ask us anything about Text Message Marketing!

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

We know you've been asking for it, and we're excited to announce Text Message Marketing (SMS) in the US, which is now available as an a la carte subscription that allows you to collect customer phone numbers and send them marketing-related text messages.

You can get started by visiting Text Message Marketing on on the Square Dashboard. 

Included are automated campaigns and ‘manual blast’ campaigns, where you can offer coupons, announce sales, promote events, and more. 

While Text Message Marketing can be found and used within Square Marketing in Dashboard, you DO NOT need to be subscribed to Square Marketing to use Text Message Marketing.

Square Marketing users will likewise need to onboard to Text Message Marketing, and will be billed separately for text message use.

What does the Text Message Marketing do?

Opt-in Collection

• Build a list of customers to text BEFORE you pay a cent for the product
  • Collect opt-ins via your point-of-sale (or via Loyalty enrollment)
  • Text customers from a phone number unique to your business. This number will also allow customers to sign up via Text to Join, and can be promoted via in-store, online, or wherever else you’d like

Manual Campaigns

• Draft a message and send to customers, instantly*
  • Offer a coupon, or include a link to an announcement, event, or online sale (which we automatically shorten to save characters)
  • Send up to 600 characters per message, or 250 if emojis are used. This will separate out into up to 4 texts, BUT we’ll only be charging for one ‘message’ per customer per campaign.

*Note: Texts are sent in 15 minute increments, so if you draft and send a text at 2:05pm, the text would go out at 2:15. Texts can only be sent during business hours in the merchant's time zone (i.e. 9-5). After 5pm, merchants can schedule for texts that will be sent the next day.

Automated Campaigns

• Automatically text a customer with a qualifying event (similar to automated email marketing)
  • General campaigns: birthday collection + birthday reward, lapsed customer. 
  • Loyalty-related campaigns like reminding about Loyalty rewards, and celebrating Loyalty anniversaries

What are the limitations?

Feature

Current Limitation

Texting: General

No two-way texting (You cannot yet respond to Buyers by text, Sellers will not see Buyer responses)

Texting: General

No picture message (MMS)

Opt-in: List Building

No phone number list upload 

Opt-in: Loyalty Consent Specifics

Due to the current Loyalty consent language (which permits ‘loyalty-related communication’), Loyalty sellers will be able to send automated messages to  nearly all of their Loyalty enrollees. 

Seller Use Case

Sellers who sell adult products, alcohol, tobacco, firearms, or CBD/cannabis are subject to a standard called SHAFT. This a self-regulation by mobile carriers that can block messages around these topics. 

What is the pricing?

Pricing is tiered pay-as-you-go: at the end of the month, a seller will be charged the tier corresponding with how many messages they sent. They will not be charged for months where they did not send any messages. We do not have established custom pricing eligibility or rates established for launch.

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage

View Best Answer >

Message 388 of 391
390 REPLIES 390
Admin

@10KBrewing 

Thank for sharing your feedback! We don't have a current timeline to send a custom one-time campaign at this time, but we understand it's the top feature request at this point. 

The good new you can adjust the "Lapsed Customer" criteria within your customers menu on your Square Dashboard > Customers > All Customers > Lapsed Edit Group in your directory.

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 169 of 391

Howard, thanks for this info on adjusting the group settings. I didn't know you could do this! Awesome feature!
Message 170 of 391

Hi Howard

I tried activating the Square Marketing and Square Loyalty programs to get going with the Marketing as per your post. I got re-directed to the Australian site which does not mention either. Is this feature only for USA clients?

Rewgards

Hugh

Message 171 of 391
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Finesse! This feature is only available in the US as of right now as a beta but we will keep you updated on when/if it becomes available to other markets!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 172 of 391

Can we opt in to text message contact? 

Message 173 of 391

Please enable on our account!

Message 174 of 391

Hi, We are interested in text messaging marketing. Please enable the feature for our account. Thanks.

Message 175 of 391

Super interested!! I have a ton of clients i am trying to reach that only provided a phone number! 🙂

Message 176 of 391

I am interested. I'm not sure if my post are getting through. I keep getting an error message. @Howard 

Message 177 of 391
Admin

@Tier7

We see them! I'll make sure @Howard knows you're interested.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 178 of 391
Admin

@Tier7 Thank you for your interest! 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 179 of 391

I would love to opt into this feature and use it today. Is that possible?

Message 180 of 391
Admin

@LVRL

Due to the holiday and weekend we're not able to get your enrolled today, but our Beta team will be back on Monday to look in this for you. 

I'll be sure to pass your info their way.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 181 of 391

me too please! 

[Personal Information Redacted]

thank you

Message 182 of 391

glitter! skin studio, llc 

[Personal Information Redacted]

sorry - left off company name - please include us too for text messaging marketing 🙂

Message 183 of 391
Admin

Thank you all for showing interest in testing Automated Test Message Campaigns for Square Loyalty. 

I am excited to announce this feature is now available all sellers subscribed to both Square Marketing and Square Loyalty. Feel free to start a 30-day free trial if you aren’t using Marketing and Loyalty already.

With these campaigns, you will be able to automatically reengage your customers to drive them to come back to your business.

To enable Automated Text Message Campaigns:  

1. Visit the Marketing tab in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Create Campaign and select text message.
  3. Select from the five different Campaign types.
  4. Edit the message and coupon you wish to send.
  5. Review and then select Activate Now to enable this campaign.

These text campaigns will be automatically sent to all customers who meet the campaign audience criteria. You can always edit or cancel these messages via the Campaign section in the Marketing dashboard.

Please review our Support Center to learn more about Automated Text Message Campaigns.

Thank you for sharing feedback and helping us improve the product! 

Cheers,

Howard, Square Beta Team

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 184 of 391

I thought I had seen the text feature a few days ago but it is gone now.  Is it no longer an option already?

Message 185 of 391
Admin

Hi @Pawprints

We actually have been running a soft-launched/beta version of automated text message campaigns over the last few months, which is what you saw in the Dashboard.

Based on feedback over the last two months, we have decided to pause this feature to make some important customer experience updates. We know automated text message campaigns are an important tool for your Loyalty program, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

The team is diligently working to make updates to this feature and will notify you when it is ready to use again.

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 186 of 391
Beta Member

I see that you have "paused" this feature back in early August... any ETA on when we might see it again?  

We capture more customer phone numbers than emails so texting would be much more useful to us.

Message 187 of 391

is there any update on this? Our shop really needs this feature. I used to be able to do 2-3x as much business from text with our old company versus the email marketing through square. We really need this functionality. 

Message 188 of 391

Hi @Howard 

Looking forward to this feature. We too find emailing a very poor form of advertising. People are just not interested. The same actually applies to SMS marketing. People are over it. I'm talking about pure marketing where your product is simply pushed out to customers.

Our specific need is to be able to sms an individual person from Square, not for marketing, but for communicating with them in terms of their order. At the moment we have to access Square, look up the mobile number and then send an SMS using a mobile phone. Being able to use messages within Square would be a huge win for us, our customers and for Square.

Many thanks

Hugh

Message 189 of 391