x

Feature Request: Customize category icons, and add photos to categories like items

Super Seller Alumni

Feature Request: Customize category icons, and add photos to categories like items

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Can you apply pictures for categories?

Would LOVE to be able to add a picture to each Category I create. I see we can add a picture for items but not for categories. Could you send a request for a future update for this? Would make our Square Register screen so much nicer and prettier. Thank you.

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Customize category icons, and add photos to categories like items

Yeah... still waiting for this...

Verified Answer

Re: Pictures for Categories

Hello @ryanwnzl  

I know this thread has been around the sun a couple of times now. I've gone ahead and reached out to our Item Library Product Manager for an update. Currently this request is on the backlog and we're not expecting it to be implemented anytime soon. I understand this isn't the answer a lot of sellers want to hear, but I want to be as transparent as possible.

There are a lot of factors that come into play when prioritizing feature requests - comments like all of yours on this thread are one of the big inputs our product teams take into consideration. However, there are other things to consider as well -  build time, engineering bandwidth, and cost to name a few, as well as balancing this request with others that may take up time from the same engineering group.

I know there are 8 pages of comments about this issue, and it is a lot. Some of these factors like engineering bandwidth are less visible to you all, which is why I wanted to give a little insight into some of the behind-the-scenes work.

Thank you for your patience, and understanding - our eng teams are working on other features that we hope make POS even better for you. If we have updates on this thread, we'll post them here. All of you who have commented are already subscribed, and anyone new to the thread can click the "Subscribe" link on the first page.

179 Comments

Chad-

Thanks for the update and clarity.

"not anytime soon" although not the desired response, it is good to know.

Regards,

Ryan

This was in 2016, any progress on category icon? It would be very helpful

Alumni

Hi @janicej77 - No progress to share yet? Can you share your use case for this so I can share it with our team responsible? Thanks for your input!

@katieand,

Thank you for responding, I hope we can make some changes soon!

Again this question was first asked about 2 years ago (2016) and so far no progress on this at square? There seems to be quite a few people who want this and we want to like square even better!

I tried to reply to this but now cant find it, so I am sorry if this is a repeat.

Here's the bottom line: We sell many items and only want one checkout screen using an ipad for our square account.

So we use categories for the icons on the checkout screen with many items within each category. But they are grey and white, making the checkout screen not very pretty or fun to use or look at. Color is always good, plus making it easier to find where things are in a hurry. So please make it so there is the option for categories to have pictures on them like the items do. I can enclose a picture of our checkout screen so you can see what I mean.

*Also I think it would be good if square made "sub-categories" as well as categories. Since we have to use our categories as icons on the checkout screen, it doesnt function as well for reports. I would prefer if we could set up just a few Categories like for food, drinks, books, accesories etc and then use Sub-categories like coffee, milkshakes, lattes, burgers, sandwiches for the sub-categories so we can only have one checkout screen with sub-categories on it and then put the many items within the sub-categories like: chocolate milkshakes, vanilla milkshakes, hamburger, cheese burger, jalapeño burger etc. 

I hope this makes sense.

thank you,

[Personal Information redacted]
IMG_0011.jpg

Hello @janicej77! Thank you for taking the time to provide your use case.

I noticed we had another thread that addressed this feature request. I went ahead and merged the two threads together so we can track all the feedback in one place! Currently we don't have a timeline on when this might be available. Take a look at my answer on the first page for the latest update! 

We also would like to be able to add images to Categories.  Seems like a simple thing, and many are asking for it.  The POS screen looks incomplete when it's a mix of individual items that have images, but categories looking plain and basic.  Square really needs a GUI upgrade.

Beta Member

This response is nearly two years old. When are you guys going to do this?

It is ridiculous that you haven't applied an option to set pictures to categories yet. Seriously.

Admin

Hey @danielleatCOHO, very sorry for the frustration. I went to check on this and there aren't any updates that I can share out at this time. For now, my best suggestion is to consider setting up a grid page that allows you to surface your most frequently sold items (and categories): Set Up Your Item Grid on a Tablet. We will update this thread as soon as any other developments becomes available.

I want to up vote this as well! It would be really, really helpful to add pictures to categories. Categories are great to tap on, but when you only have two letters to describe a category, it's a pain to delineate them. It seems super simple, and in all the threads that we have seen, there hasn't been one mention from a moderator that "it's actually hard to program", more just things along the line of "it's not on slate for development" without any reason. There are clearly a lot of people that want it to happen, and that's just the ones that are being vocal about it.

When will we be able to apply pictures for categories? This has been an open request for 3 years?