x

Can you assign an item to multiple categories?

I wanted to assign an item to 2 different categories.....is it possible?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 77
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can you assign an item to multiple categories?

An item can only be assigned to one category at a time. Would you mind sharing more about why you would want an item in two categories? What type of items do you have? I'd love to better understand your request! Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

An item can only be assigned to one category at a time. Would you mind sharing more about why you would want an item in two categories? What type of items do you have? I'd love to better understand your request! Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 77
76 REPLIES 76
Square

Best Answer

Sean
he/him/his
Message 2 of 77

We have the same items on our brunch and our breakfast menu but brunch is a much larger menu. Other point of sales have a time restriction on when servers can order certain items. 

I want to make a category "breakfast" with the smaller menu so they are not tempted to try to order something off the brunch menu. Also maybe a guest has a brunch menu on accident or have been in before and they verbally order off the brunch menu and a server forgets that it is not on the breakfast menu and they ring it in...

For not I will re-enter the items but seems not productive to have 2 of the same items in the inventory.

Message 3 of 77
Square

@bethbach - Appreciate the context! This makes total sense! I'll be sure to pass along your feedback as well! Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 77

I have a similar reason for wanting to assign item to multiple catrgories. Any feedback if this will be made available and when?

Message 5 of 77
Admin

Hi @feedbucket, thanks for circling back on this. I just checked, and we still do not have a specific timeline for this feature. I'll make sure to flag your request with our Product Liaison team as well. Keep in touch for updates.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 77

Hey is this happening soon, would love this feature!

Message 7 of 77
Admin

Thanks for asking @linbaird! I went to check on this and there aren't any updates to be shared quite yet. 

Appreciate your (and everyone's) patience!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 8 of 77

I’m setting up Square POS for our art gallery. I’d like to use two or more categories for some items. I’d like to list items under the artist’s name for one category and under a second descriptive category like “framed-print” or even a third, like “photography”

This would allow sales people to locate an item based on the buyers description or requested item. “I’d like a framed print by Joe Artist. 

We we also have artists whose work is already in the database but now their work becomes part of a specific gallery show. I’d like to be able to have it listed under their name and under a category which includes all the pieces in that show. 

Thanks....

Message 9 of 77

Having the same issues.  We're a farm that sells beef, pork, chicken, eggs, fish, honey & other goods.  We have separate categories for each of our different meats, but we also offer packages where we have combinations of beef, pork, chicken, etc. and currently we cannot accurately account for what % of each package is actually attributed to each category.  Being able to list (and categorize) individual items into a package item would be extremely helpful for record keeping purposes.  Currently in order to make this happen we have to enter the individual item totals for all items in the package, then calculate the discount that gets us back to the actual package total just to make sure that everything is tracked.  Definitely not ideal.  Please add this feature.

Thanks!

Justin

Message 10 of 77
Beta Member

Any news on this? I have many Items that I fall into multiple categories and this would be helpful

Message 11 of 77

I simply want to have a sale category without having to remove the item from it's normal category. This way my cashiers can find it either way (whether the customer requests the item based on the fact that it's on sale or just because the item is in demand) and speed the checkout process. For instance, if a customer comes in asking for the sale scraper widget, my cashier can look under sales, but if they just come in looking for a widget, it can be found under the scraper category.

Message 12 of 77

I'd love to see this feature added. I sell jewelry. I have your typical categories of Necklaces, Rings, Bracelets, but I'd also would like to have one of our product lines, Urban, as a category as well. I would like to put an Urban line necklace both in the Necklaces category and the Urban category. I have my BigCommerce site connected to Square for inventory tracking. BigCommerce has the option to assign a product to multiple categories which is great and meets my needs, but since Square doesn't offer that option, I have to sync my inventory then manually add the items to the Urban category in BigCommerce instead of both categories syncing over.

Message 13 of 77

I would also like this feature. We set up at events as well as run our store and big commerce website. I'd like to be able to create a category for the event and be able to assign the items we took to that event to that category to expedite checkout at those events rather than have to search the entire catalog to find it.

Message 14 of 77

Any update here? I have items assigned to specific vendors, but would like to create categories based on the type of item as well. For example, I sell ceramics by a few ceramicists, and would like to have a category per ceramacist as well as a bucket "ceramics" where you can find all of them. Thanks!

Message 15 of 77

Hello @posieatelier, welcome to the Seller Community. 

I'm sorry, but we don't have any updates on this feature request yet. Right now we're still in the process of collecting feedback and providing it to our Item Library team. 

If there are any updates, a member of the Community Team will post it on this thread. 😀

Message 16 of 77

I manage a wine shop, so we need to organize the wine by country, appellation, color, producer, importer, vendor, etc. 

Vital information on sales reports, as well as navigating the POS.

Message 17 of 77

It would seem that it would be a reasonable alternative to then be able to "duplicate item" with a button so the item could then be repeated.  Could that function be built as an alternative.  This would be equally helpful if items had subtle variations and could be repeated and then modified.  

Message 18 of 77
Beta Member

I'm thinking that the workaround of creating a duplicate item creates a new problem with inventory tracking; if you sell in one category the adjustment doesn't happen in the duplicate's listing.  Now I'm realizing that using item tracking alerts on one vs the other would be somewhat of a workaround for the inventory count issue as well. 

Message 19 of 77
Admin

@ArtsyParts

I think the inventory tracking alerts could let you create a workaround. Let us know if you try it and have success with it.

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc
Message 20 of 77
Beta Member

I'm looking for the same feature. Our establishment has an upstairs and a downstairs bar. The upstairs bar is much smaller than the downstairs bar, and, therefore, carries a smaller selection of items. Our beer selection is broken up into categories that reflect where our beer is physically behind the bar. So, a certain beer could be categorized into "Reach-In 1" which is a reach-in cooler behind the downstairs bar. That same beer is also sold upstairs. and is listed in the "Upstairs Beer" category as well. This requires us to list the same beer as two separate items which causes problems with tracking inventory. We now have to track one item in two separate places instead of just one item. If we could simply list the one item in two separate categories, this issue would be solved.

Thank you

Message 21 of 77