x

Can you create subcategories within categories?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Can you categorize under categories?

I have a salon and when selling retail there are soooo many products listed. I noticed you can include the whole retail list in checkout. I would like to categorize under retail the specific brands, so I would have a button on checking out under retail for specific lines. But in reports it’s still all under “ retail”.

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Amysti!

Thanks for reaching out. That's a good question.

We currently don't have the ability for Square Point of Sale sellers, Online Store users, or Square for Retail subscribers to create subcategories or categories within categories. We're working on launching this feature for our sellers, because we know how useful it would be! 

I moved your post to our Feature Request section of the Seller Community for visibility, and so when we have an update we can post in this thread. Thanks for your patience. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Amysti!

Thanks for reaching out. That's a good question.

We currently don't have the ability for Square Point of Sale sellers, Online Store users, or Square for Retail subscribers to create subcategories or categories within categories. We're working on launching this feature for our sellers, because we know how useful it would be! 

I moved your post to our Feature Request section of the Seller Community for visibility, and so when we have an update we can post in this thread. Thanks for your patience. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 2 of 7

I desperately need this feature (subcategories) too.

Each of our gallery artists has several 'bodies' of work, which can be very different. 

I'm creating an online storefront using Square's integration with GoDaddy ('GD') - our current website host for the past several years. 

GD's online store software will allow subcategories, BUT, that means I can't import my products/items from my Square items to my GD online store because of the mismatch in category levels.

At the moment, I can only assume I will have to set up my entire list of Category/Items in Square, and then manually enter everything into the GD store's Category/Subcategory/Products - a nightmare!  Not to mention having to manually keep track of inventory in each channel.

Please let me know that you are working on this feature, and that it will smoothly integrate with GD's online store software.  Thank you!

Lise E Poulsen
Message 3 of 7
Alumni

@GBG-NM - Thanks for sharing why this feature is crucial for running your biz. Seems like a pain to manually set up your catalog in the proper categories when integrating with GD, 

I don't have an exact ETA on the development of a subcategories feature, but we're definitely working on improving our Item and Inventory management tools. We continually make changes and improvements based on seller feedback, so keep it coming! 

If we have any future updates, we'll announce them here. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 7

Hello. I truly enjoy the ease and simplicity of my online store. That said, it would make shopping vastly easier with the implementation of subcategories. 

Message 5 of 7

Filtering would be another much appreciated feature enhancement in the same vain. We own a restaurant and would love for customers to be able to filter by Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free etc.

Message 6 of 7
Admin

Hey @THIRDEYERECS and @RumiPersianCafe-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

This is an excellent feature request that we're working on developing across all our platforms for our sellers. I went ahead and moved your post over to this thread so you could see my best answer, and view any updates regarding this feature when I post them in this thread. 

Thanks again! 🌟

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 7 of 7