x

Can you customize the payment type options in Square Register or Point of Sale?

Is there a way to have a separate Check Payment Type selection rather than having it part of "Other".  We get a lot of check payment and it's a pain to have to click on Other and the select Check - also makes reports not as useful if you have more than one kind of "Other" payments in a session.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 54
2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Can you customize the payment type options in Square Register?

@dblais Update: I just wanted to add here that custom tender options are now available in Square Register (as of version 2.58)! The steps to manage payment types are in this Support Center article

Verified Answer

Re: Separate Check Payment Type

@TCGHS - While I've definitely heard sellers request the ability to customize their tender types, it isn't a feature that we currently offer. For you, it sounds like it would save you a click. For other sellers who don't take checks or cash, it would remove these options from accidentally being clicked. I'll be sure to pass your suggestion along to our product liaison team.

For more details on the feature request process, I'd suggest checking out this existing thread: Feature Requests & the Seller Community. It's a great overview. I'll also be sure to update this thread if this functionality changes in the future.

53 REPLIES 53
Square

@TCGHS - While I've definitely heard sellers request the ability to customize their tender types, it isn't a feature that we currently offer. For you, it sounds like it would save you a click. For other sellers who don't take checks or cash, it would remove these options from accidentally being clicked. I'll be sure to pass your suggestion along to our product liaison team.

For more details on the feature request process, I'd suggest checking out this existing thread: Feature Requests & the Seller Community. It's a great overview. I'll also be sure to update this thread if this functionality changes in the future.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 54

Is there anyway to add another tender type? We have an internal payment system and I'd like to add that under other or in another location. 

Message 3 of 54
Square

Hi @YLStore. While we don't currently offer this functinality, you can tell this is a popular request. We'll update this thread in the future if anything changes!  

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 54

Thank you! Please let me know when this is updated as we'd like to add a tender option! 

Message 5 of 54

While reconciling my sales and deposits I spotted an "other" payment type, which we do not use. Because I cannot delete this option, it would be very easy for employees to close a cash sale to "other" and take the cash. Please fix this! I have no way of knowing what this "other" is quickly. Because I onle reconcile monthly, I will now have to check EVERY DAY to see if the "other" category was used, so I can isolate who might have used it. 

Also, it is a real drag that I cannot drill down on the payments report to find out when this check was closed this way. 

Message 6 of 54
Square

@an1 - To get going, I went ahead and merged your comment with the thread that we're tracking this request (and it's definitely a popular one). 🙂  I'll be sure to update this thread if we add this functionality in the future!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 7 of 54

I would love to modify the "other" option as well... I offer in store credit and use the other button to track this payment method, but now it gets confusing for the few checks I get so I've since been entering them as cash since they deposit like cash.  Having a way to alter this would be so useful!

Message 8 of 54

I have someone disputing a charge where they have already rendered the service. I send an invoice, they paid it and rendered the space of event now they are disputing the charge. I want to know who it is so that they cannot get into any more of our events and keep doing this. I am mot able to find information with what square gave me.

Message 9 of 54
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Msevents757 - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! So sorry to hear about your dispute.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding next steps for chargebacks and disputes. Take a look at this Best Answer here from Ashley.

I would also recommend at viewing this helpful dispute resource for next steps and challenging your dispute.

It's important to note that Square does not have any authority when it comes to deciding a resolution on a dispute. That action is totally and completely up to the customers card issuing bank.

Let us know if you have any clarifying questions!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 54

Did anything ever come of this? I would love to be able to modify the "Other" option and potentially place it in a more handy location in the tender area. I have a third-party delivery service that I use and use square to track the sales but don't want to show it as a cash sale since that would screw up my drawer counts. I hate having to go in find Other, and then type out my "keyword" for the delivery service every time I have a delivery sale.

Message 11 of 54
Square

@CitySlicker - I don't currently have any update to report on this feature request, but I'll be sure to share everyone's feedback with our product liaison team. Thanks for taking the time to share. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 12 of 54

What would be great for us is if you can at least get "checks" listed as a payment type as we receive checks almost every day and those checks are being lumped in with "other" payment types.  This throws off our deposits and makes reconciliation difficult.

Message 13 of 54
Square

Hi @mchmarty1. You should be able to tap check once you click "Other." If you aren't taking any other types of payments, then this option could just represent your check sales.

Sean
he/him/his
Message 14 of 54

The problem is I am taking other payment types and that's what is throwing off my deposits.  Is there any report that will give me the check balance?

Message 15 of 54
Square

Hi again @mchmarty1. While we don't have a report that breaks out "Other Tender," you could export data from the transactions tab as a .CSV and use Excel/Numbers to sort the information and tabulate things. I'll also be sure to share you request with our product liaison team. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 16 of 54

Thank you for considering my request as it would be great to see "Checks" as a payment method in the "Sales Summary Report" on the Square dashboard.  It would significantly help with daily reconciliations as opposed to downloading an Excel Spreadsheet and having to manipulate it.

Message 17 of 54

Add me as another retailer wanting Checks to be listed as Checks, not listed under Other. It's very odd and confusing, and is a very basic essential function for all POS systems I've used. 

Message 18 of 54
Alumni

Thanks @Machiventa for your reply - we will make sure to update you if/when we have more info!  

Message 19 of 54

Just thought I would check back to see if there's been any progress on this issue.  Not sure why changing the payment type from "other" to "checks" would take so long.  And, I'm not sure what "other" types of payments would be out there except for cash and checks. 

Message 20 of 54

I personally use the "other" option for when folks use Store credit.... I have two consignment stores and 30% of folks opt to turn their cash into credithe because we offer an extra 10% incentive.   I currently just apply check payments in with cash since it all balances out the same in my bank register.  It would be awesome if Square would simply add a check option.  Simple, done.  I'm not sure why they don't have this option already either!?

Message 21 of 54