x

Can I backdate, edit, or delete a transaction?

The title of this post has been edited from the original:  Can you delete a transaction?

How do you delete a completed "Cash" transaction? I ran it just as a test.

Message 1 of 352
4 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Can I backdate or edit a transaction?

Hi @TheGlencafe,

Right now we have no plans to add the ability to backdate, delete or manipulate transaction information after a sale is complete. 

For context, the ability to manipulate transactions can cause issues for reporting and chargebacks. Also, it would make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to commit crimes using Square Point of Sale. 

If you have test cash transactions in your transaction history, you can always refund these payments to balance your books. See our help article on how to refund a payment.

Hopefully this has provided some transparency on this request, and why it's not available. 

Verified Answer

Re: Delete a sale record?

Hello @alexaiezza, welcome to the Seller Community! 

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. The reasoning behind this is we use this information to submit 1099-K's to the IRS. I'm not saying you would do this, but it would be easy to cook your books if this ability was available. 

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. Currently we are in the process of collecting feedback for this request. I don't have a timeline on when it might be available. 

If you have any other questions please let me know! 

EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: Can you delete a transaction?

@TomTr

I appreciate your feedback in regards to this. I know you've probably read this multiple times within the Seller Community, but we really do send customer feedback over to our Product Teams, and advocate for changes for you.

I absolutely agree that a void feature would help with training and testing, and also make reporting look a lot cleaner as well. You make a great point that with test payments, or payments made by mistake, nothing is ever actually sold, so your gross sales report shouldn't reflect a sale (which is what results when issuing a refund).

As you've alluded to in your previous post, there are two different requests within this thread. Some folks are looking for the ability to completely remove or delete a transaction, which isn't possible at this time. We don’t have any new information around whether or not this will ever become available.

The other option that folks are looking for, having an option to mark payments that have been completed as voided/cancelled rather than refunded, would help sellers a ton and we’ll continue to reiterate that to the team on your behalf.

We know this request is important to you, so as soon as there are updates that we’re able to share publicly, we will.

I hope this provides more clarity, and thank you all, again, for your feedback!

Verified Answer

Re: Can you delete a transaction?

Maybe the Square team can find a way to mark the transactions as Void, so that they do not affect sales totals, but neither are the transactions erased.

From an accounting standpoint, I can see why they would not let a transaction just be deleted. There has to be a documentation trail.

When I have to make test transactions, when I refund the transaction I make note that it was a test transaction and that is why it was refunded. There is also the "Accidental Charge" notation available.

Then when I download my sales reports, I sort the test transactions out and make a note in my saved spreadsheet.

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @amoster.

Sorry to hear that happened 😔

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. While these accidents happen, we still can't offer all of our sellers the ability to delete transactions. For tax and IRS reporting, I'm sure you can imagine why.

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. I don't have a timeline to share on when that may be available or if we plan to develop it. So sorry about that.

Thank you for your patience and understanding 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 340 of 352
351 REPLIES 351
Alumni

Thanks for adding your idea of a "training mode" @GeorgeX! We've heard it before, but I'll be sure to surface it with the team before to share your support.

Message 253 of 352

This is a silly reason, IMO. Here we are telling you that the numbers are authentically innacurate, and the reason you won't build a feature to help us resolve them is that you're afraid users will make them intentionally innacurate? Yet - we have workarounds that mess with the reporting and effort level for those of us who aren't trying to commit tax fraud becuase Square thinks it's their responsibility to prevent nefarious actors from committing it? 

Message 254 of 352

I it Possible to delete History data older than 3 years?

Message 255 of 352

Nope. Sure is not possible. And feel free to make a request to be ignored for years.  You'll get the standard response they will let the team know and appreciate your suggestion.  Feel free to scroll through and see that same response for years with no change in their system.

Message 256 of 352

While I understand that deleting a transaction could be used to "cook" the books, being able to fully void or cancel a transaction would be helpful. I had a cash transaction that was incorrectly input into Square. By the time I realized what had happened, it was too late. Following the suggestion that the transaction be refunded, I did so. Unfortunately, now I have a double net sale, but I also have a double sales tax payable for this transaction. While the amount of double sales tax is small, I really don't want to have to pay the state more sales tax than is actually due.

If there isn't a way to correct this now, perhaps a way could be made to account for this. 

Message 257 of 352

hi , so how about correcting a cash transaction a mistake by the way how is that corrected? I have 3 transaction with $0.00 did this on my iphone all I wanted was to keep a record of client and $ amount for taxes.

Transaction March 28,2019

Message 258 of 352
Alumni

Hi @Alexader64 - It is not possible to delete any sales records regardless of payment type including cash transactions.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 259 of 352
Beta Member

I'm reading this thread in 2019. It started in 2016. And still no way to void a completed transaction.

Message 260 of 352

What about archiving a transaction?

Message 261 of 352
Admin

Hey @Submagician! There's no way to archive transactions. But your past transactions will always be available for you to reference no matter how long ago you processed them. 

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 262 of 352

I created a fake transaction just to test everything, but now it's showing as a $360 sale that I cannot delete or get rid of. It would be incorrect on my 1099 for this transaction to be factored into my tax responsibility because it was only a test, not a true sale. There's got to be a way to delete this transaction. Please advise on what I'm supposed to do about this.

Thanks!

Message 263 of 352
Super Seller

Message 264 of 352

Can Square consider an edit tab for the notes and  a void tab on the amount entered? You can still make the voided transaction appear in the reports, so that anything suspicious could be questioned by owner operator, because Bookkeepers make mistakes. 

Message 265 of 352

I used my square card for a debit transaction which the smoke shop ran it 2 times to many at $30 each transaction $60 in total 4 days ago the guy said it would be refunded which i havent seen back in my account know I want to cxl those 2 transactions can u help me please

Message 266 of 352
Admin

Hey @Tomr2114- You'll want to get in touch with our CS team so they can check it out with you.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 267 of 352

The fact that you can’t delete a transaction is a MAJOR draw back of the already expensive Square service.

lame and pathetic customer service response basically txt only and handed off from one low grade tech support to another 

if a mistake transaction of a large amount is entered the the charts and graphs are useless for the rest of the entire years SO STUPID!

Message 268 of 352

After reading your response, I agree with the inability to delete. However, I would suggest you guys make the test transaction an actual test transaction. Otherwise, I love the APP

Message 269 of 352

I gave up on Square because it won't allow transactions to be corrected or deleted. I use Stripe now.

Message 270 of 352
Beta Member

A refund is not possible when the sale has been 100% discounted. We just have to live with incorrect records.

Message 271 of 352

We had an accidental charge this week of $999,999.99. While we can refund it, all of our Square data is now thrown way off. We LOVE Square for the reporting. I understand that you wouldn't want the ability to delete transactions always available. But this is something that customer support should be able to do for you for mistake transactions like this one. It would take 5 seconds to review it and see that it is a mistake transaction and the delete the record.

Message 272 of 352

I have this same problem, Now my Gross Income is absurdly high by 300,000 (my 75 yr old mother accidentally charged this somehow) so I have to use Net to get a real number

Message 273 of 352