x

Can I backdate, edit, or delete a transaction?

The title of this post has been edited from the original:  Can you delete a transaction?

How do you delete a completed "Cash" transaction? I ran it just as a test.

Message 1 of 352
4 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Can I backdate or edit a transaction?

Hi @TheGlencafe,

Right now we have no plans to add the ability to backdate, delete or manipulate transaction information after a sale is complete. 

For context, the ability to manipulate transactions can cause issues for reporting and chargebacks. Also, it would make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to commit crimes using Square Point of Sale. 

If you have test cash transactions in your transaction history, you can always refund these payments to balance your books. See our help article on how to refund a payment.

Hopefully this has provided some transparency on this request, and why it's not available. 

Verified Answer

Re: Delete a sale record?

Hello @alexaiezza, welcome to the Seller Community! 

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. The reasoning behind this is we use this information to submit 1099-K's to the IRS. I'm not saying you would do this, but it would be easy to cook your books if this ability was available. 

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. Currently we are in the process of collecting feedback for this request. I don't have a timeline on when it might be available. 

If you have any other questions please let me know! 

EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: Can you delete a transaction?

@TomTr

I appreciate your feedback in regards to this. I know you've probably read this multiple times within the Seller Community, but we really do send customer feedback over to our Product Teams, and advocate for changes for you.

I absolutely agree that a void feature would help with training and testing, and also make reporting look a lot cleaner as well. You make a great point that with test payments, or payments made by mistake, nothing is ever actually sold, so your gross sales report shouldn't reflect a sale (which is what results when issuing a refund).

As you've alluded to in your previous post, there are two different requests within this thread. Some folks are looking for the ability to completely remove or delete a transaction, which isn't possible at this time. We don’t have any new information around whether or not this will ever become available.

The other option that folks are looking for, having an option to mark payments that have been completed as voided/cancelled rather than refunded, would help sellers a ton and we’ll continue to reiterate that to the team on your behalf.

We know this request is important to you, so as soon as there are updates that we’re able to share publicly, we will.

I hope this provides more clarity, and thank you all, again, for your feedback!

Verified Answer

Re: Can you delete a transaction?

Maybe the Square team can find a way to mark the transactions as Void, so that they do not affect sales totals, but neither are the transactions erased.

From an accounting standpoint, I can see why they would not let a transaction just be deleted. There has to be a documentation trail.

When I have to make test transactions, when I refund the transaction I make note that it was a test transaction and that is why it was refunded. There is also the "Accidental Charge" notation available.

Then when I download my sales reports, I sort the test transactions out and make a note in my saved spreadsheet.

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @amoster.

Sorry to hear that happened 😔

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. While these accidents happen, we still can't offer all of our sellers the ability to delete transactions. For tax and IRS reporting, I'm sure you can imagine why.

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. I don't have a timeline to share on when that may be available or if we plan to develop it. So sorry about that.

Thank you for your patience and understanding 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 340 of 352
351 REPLIES 351

This is only for restaurants. In a retail store, you can't void or delete a transaction. 

It is ridiculous.

Message 232 of 352

Let me just add to the fact that I was creating an example cash sale to teach an employee today.  I refunded the cash sale so as to balance my ledger appropriately.

The Problem:  It set the variation of my two separate items that I sold to -1 and adjusted a total separate variation to +2.  So the refund did accurately adjust the inventory of my items back.

Not only should I have been able to just void this transacation which your team seems to have no care in the world to fix that, but yor current work around is actually broken as well. 

Message 233 of 352

I was told by a helpful square employee that you can create a new location named "test" to mess around with test transactions etc and it won't affect your real life inventory or reports. So far so good!

Message 234 of 352

I thought this was a test purchase, but it seems like it was taken as real transaction. I was wanted to test it out.

Message 235 of 352

I have talked to square about this in the past. The easy answer is No. They do have an option to run a test purchase though. 

Message 236 of 352
Super Seller

Message 237 of 352

Hello, 

Somehow, a transaction showed up for $1,000,000.  I am not sure how it got there and obviously, it is an error.  
Is there anyway for this to be removed? It is really messing up my reports.

Thank you.

Message 238 of 352

I've posted transactions to a client that I need to delete. How do I do that?

Thx

Message 239 of 352

I recently had one of my employees create a custom transaction for $1,000,000 then used the COMP option and then accidently completed the transaction. This unfortunately added $1,000,000 to my gross sales for the day then added $1,000,000 to the total under Discounts and Comps. While it is easy enough to just mentally subtract this number while looking at my data, it creates an unrealistic idea when looking at the data over multiple weeks or months. There also seems to be no way to "refund" this transaction or remove it despite it being made in error.

Is there any way to get rid of this error?

Message 240 of 352
Super Seller

Unfortunately there isn’t a way to change or delete a transaction once completed 

i had the same issue that my daughter sold a million dollar transaction for fun and it is still there 5 years later. 

Message 241 of 352
Beta Member

This is almost exactly what brought me to this thread. While not as large as your amount, it is messing with our records. Our gross sales are wrong. Our discounts and comps for the day are wrong. Our sales graphs will be wrong. Not being able to void a completed transaction is so ridiculous!

Message 242 of 352

Awhile ago, an employee of mine entered in a sale called "Jenny" for $8,675,309.00. While humorous, it's messing up all my graphs now and I have no idea how to delete it.

Message 243 of 352

Hello @fa-ct! I went ahead and merged your thread with an existing one since this question was asked before. Currently we don't offer the ability to delete transactions. I recommend refunding this transaction so your reports and books reflect accurately. 

Message 244 of 352

Chad,

When do you think this feature will be implemented? It seems to be in quite a demand by the user base.

Message 245 of 352

Hello @alexaiezza, welcome to the Seller Community! 

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. The reasoning behind this is we use this information to submit 1099-K's to the IRS. I'm not saying you would do this, but it would be easy to cook your books if this ability was available. 

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. Currently we are in the process of collecting feedback for this request. I don't have a timeline on when it might be available. 

If you have any other questions please let me know! 

Message 246 of 352

It’s been more than 2 years and square still couldn’t get around? This is the reason why I’m hesitant to sign up with square.

Message 247 of 352

Hello @Bubblebed, my answer above explains why this feature is unavailable. 

Message 248 of 352

What if my business was closed, no one was there, and the doors were locked but square created a transaction for several thousands of dollars that never happened and will throw off my books. Don't you think we should be able to erase that sale?

Message 249 of 352

Exactly mistake transaction should be able to be deleted not voided and stay in the record it totally through off your reporting and tracking sales against prior days weeks months. SO STUPID they don’t give ability to delete. Has nothing to do with cooking books - idiots

Message 250 of 352

Before you decide to get square know that you can’t delete mistake transactions. It is a HUGE flaw in the software and service. If a mistake transaction is entered and let’s say it’s a large one.

you don’t get to see the tracking charts and graphs to compare sales to prior days weeks for a whole year!!! Pathetic!!!

Message 251 of 352

Chad,

This is the first time I've understood Square's reason for never allowing us to delete a transaction. Thank you! I totally see how people could (and would) cook their books.

With that being said, what about a "training mode" that we can use when onboarding new employees? You could even limit the number of transactions so that this doesn't become another way to cook one's books.

If not, then the best idea is what you already proposed, which is to allow us to filter certain transactions from reports while not changing the back end that creates the 1099-K's.

Message 252 of 352