x

Can I backdate, edit, or delete a transaction?

The title of this post has been edited from the original:  Can you delete a transaction?

How do you delete a completed "Cash" transaction? I ran it just as a test.

Message 1 of 352
4 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Can I backdate or edit a transaction?

Hi @TheGlencafe,

Right now we have no plans to add the ability to backdate, delete or manipulate transaction information after a sale is complete. 

For context, the ability to manipulate transactions can cause issues for reporting and chargebacks. Also, it would make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to commit crimes using Square Point of Sale. 

If you have test cash transactions in your transaction history, you can always refund these payments to balance your books. See our help article on how to refund a payment.

Hopefully this has provided some transparency on this request, and why it's not available. 

Verified Answer

Re: Delete a sale record?

Hello @alexaiezza, welcome to the Seller Community! 

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. The reasoning behind this is we use this information to submit 1099-K's to the IRS. I'm not saying you would do this, but it would be easy to cook your books if this ability was available. 

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. Currently we are in the process of collecting feedback for this request. I don't have a timeline on when it might be available. 

If you have any other questions please let me know! 

EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: Can you delete a transaction?

@TomTr

I appreciate your feedback in regards to this. I know you've probably read this multiple times within the Seller Community, but we really do send customer feedback over to our Product Teams, and advocate for changes for you.

I absolutely agree that a void feature would help with training and testing, and also make reporting look a lot cleaner as well. You make a great point that with test payments, or payments made by mistake, nothing is ever actually sold, so your gross sales report shouldn't reflect a sale (which is what results when issuing a refund).

As you've alluded to in your previous post, there are two different requests within this thread. Some folks are looking for the ability to completely remove or delete a transaction, which isn't possible at this time. We don’t have any new information around whether or not this will ever become available.

The other option that folks are looking for, having an option to mark payments that have been completed as voided/cancelled rather than refunded, would help sellers a ton and we’ll continue to reiterate that to the team on your behalf.

We know this request is important to you, so as soon as there are updates that we’re able to share publicly, we will.

I hope this provides more clarity, and thank you all, again, for your feedback!

Verified Answer

Re: Can you delete a transaction?

Maybe the Square team can find a way to mark the transactions as Void, so that they do not affect sales totals, but neither are the transactions erased.

From an accounting standpoint, I can see why they would not let a transaction just be deleted. There has to be a documentation trail.

When I have to make test transactions, when I refund the transaction I make note that it was a test transaction and that is why it was refunded. There is also the "Accidental Charge" notation available.

Then when I download my sales reports, I sort the test transactions out and make a note in my saved spreadsheet.

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @amoster.

Sorry to hear that happened 😔

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. While these accidents happen, we still can't offer all of our sellers the ability to delete transactions. For tax and IRS reporting, I'm sure you can imagine why.

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. I don't have a timeline to share on when that may be available or if we plan to develop it. So sorry about that.

Thank you for your patience and understanding 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 340 of 352
351 REPLIES 351

How can I filter out practice transactions by date in the reporting section of the Square Dashboard? Also I made a fake transaction and used the payment option other then picked gift card not knowing that would be the end of the transaction. Will there be a charge for this? There was no real giftcard or purchace I made it all up. I hope there wont be a deposit to my account either because none of this was real.

Message 169 of 352

I really think that there needs to be a test mode, or a training mode added.  For each new person that is brought into using the Square account there has to be a way to do training and to practice different functions and then remove them.  I understand the reason for not having a delete for actual transactions - so that employees can't delete a sale and pocket the proceeds, but there are ways to address that, such as only allowing the admin to delete transactions.  Very frustrating.  

Message 170 of 352
Square

@QBJ - This is definitely a request I've heard from many sellers. I'll be sure to pass along the feedback! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 171 of 352

Please do this.

Message 172 of 352

Anything new on deleting past transactions? There is no way one can just start using app without doing test runs first. I understand I can exclude the day of test runs from my reports, bust it's just annoying to see those numbers there. 

Message 173 of 352
Alumni

No updates to share @vdcruz. We'll post if we get news to share. 

Message 174 of 352

That still hasn't changed till today. I had my first sale with square today. I started the procedure, and than the clients card didn't work and I couldn't finalise the sale. What to do now? How do I delete the data in my square reader?

Marta

Message 175 of 352
Admin

Our readers don't store data @mbjust. You can find transaction info on your Dashboard

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 176 of 352

I agree there needs to be a test site.  I entered test transactions to see what the system would do and now need to delete them before we go live.  

Message 177 of 352

There needs be new staff hired.  

Message 178 of 352

@erlgrl - Go to your activity report and then pick each transaction and then issue refund, accidental charge and then confirm refund do this to all test transactions

Message 179 of 352

Thanks.  I had to do this too.  (I am new at this too and will have to check if there is a charge for refunds.)  I wish they would make it clear in the tutorial when they have you to do a $1.00 charge to your credit card (and then have employees practice) that there is no way to keep this separate from actual sales.  Hope they address this and give a little leeway in allowing for practice that doesn't count toward actual sales.

Message 180 of 352

+1  admins should be able to delete transactions!  ... particularly cash, check, gift card, and others that don't actually process a credit card.

Message 181 of 352

We really need the ability to delete transactions or have the option to set practice/test mode. I prefer the delete option, I have 5-7 void transactions sitting in my reports. Its driving me crazy.

Message 182 of 352

What an absolute joke...

What year is this? 1998

Message 183 of 352

I totally agree. Ridiculous that you can’t delete a test. Now I have to start my new business off on a sour note. May end up deleting the app. Excel can do a better job of keeping track. 

Message 184 of 352

Agreed, just setting up square, did some test transactions, and now no way to get rid of them. Frustrating and ridiculous. Come on square, how about fixing this!

Message 185 of 352
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Lamawe and welcome to the Community.

Really sorry for the frustration this has caused you.

There isn't any way to delete transactions, but you can refund them so they won't show on your Sales Summary as actual sales. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 186 of 352

Has anyone thought of using a dedicated location for training/testing? You can easily filter transactions by location on the dashboard. We are new to Square and that is what we are considering, so wondering if anyone else has tried that.  

Message 187 of 352

I just "refunded" my test transactions after realizing they were in my gross sales and now I'm negative for the new year but my 2020 report still shows the transaction... going a bit nuts now lol

Message 188 of 352

The title of this thread has been edited from the original:  How long does it take TO LISTEN TO CUSTOMERS!!!

The request have been made for years. To void/cancel a test transaction has become ROCKET SCIENCE with you!!! Good job timely responding/resolving to your customers...

Message 189 of 352