x

Categories don't sync to square point of sale app to square online?

Why don't the categories sync from Square Online to the Square point of sale app? All the items have synced but not the categories.

Message 1 of 49
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @rmstudio

Good to see you around the Seller Community 🤓

This is a feature request that our Product Teams are aware of. As you can see in this thread, I'm not entirely sure why this setting hasn't already been created - however, I imagine it has something to do with wanting sellers to be able to customize their site and have it differ from their in-store settings if they want.

While I don't think we will ever 'force' sellers to sync their categories automatically, we are working on being able to provide sellers with the option to sync categories. 

I don't have a timeline to share though, sorry about that. I'll make sure to update this thread when I hear something. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 29 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Is there a way to sync my point of sale categories with the web store? After spending hours on my inventory and categorizing  thousands of unique items.  The web store has a separate category system.  Now it seems like every item will need to be placed into the same category I already did in the point of sale.  Unless there is a way to sync everything? like it should.

Message 2 of 49
Alumni

@Cory152004 -

Although items can be imported into the Online Store (powered by Weebly), categories cannot. 

I totally understand the amount of time and dedication you've spent categorizing your inventory. We're constantly making improvements to the Online Store that makes inventory syncing much more convenient and seamless. Passing this one up as a feature request for now. 

Thanks for posting. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 49

We could really use this sync feature as well. We have over 6,500 items in our store, and several hundred categories.

Also, is there a way to have the online store NOT display items that are out of stock??

Message 4 of 49

Yes, at least an option to sort the items by qty on hand. At least then everything that has a 0 qty could be easily hidden. 

Message 5 of 49

I second this request. I did the opposite; I've spent hours on my webpage then found the setting to sync- when I selected it, it removed many items' categories. 

Message 6 of 49

Hello, 

I have had some trouble with my Categories, not Syncing-

I first edited the categories from The Online Option.

Is there a way to fix this? 

Thank you.

Message 7 of 49
Alumni

Categories don't sync between POS and the Online Store. You'll need to create them separately on both platforms. 

@blgardens

Justin
Message 8 of 49

Sad day

Message 9 of 49

Hello again,

I have created categories and items online for my Webstore. They show up fine, I can assign items, no issues....

When I go to the Square Dashboard, I can see the items I created but no categories.

Do items migrate from online to the dashboard, but categories don't? I only noticed this when I went to backup my inventory through the export function.

If I'm missing something, please educate me. If this is indeed the way it works, I would suggest this is something that needs to be changed. There is no point in being able to create categories in two different place if they don't Sync.

Thank you very much,

Brad The Lego Gey

Owner - BTLG Bricks

Message 10 of 49
Alumni

Yes, you got it right - items sync but Categories don't. You'll need to create them in Dashboard for them to show up in POS. 

@Bradthelegoguy

Justin
Message 11 of 49
Beta Member

Hey @JustinC , is there someplace I can cast my vote for this feature too?

We run a busy bar where we have POS sales and self-serve sales. We add our items first to 'Items',

so we can set sell and cost prices and add to the correct category for the POS.

Then I have to navigate to each item in the online items and add this to the correct category too.

I realise some people might not want this but perhaps a tick box at the 'Item' level for it to appear in the same named category on the online store would be great?

Let me know.

Thanks

D

Message 12 of 49
Alumni

Heyy @Dirky - yeah, to be honest, I'm not sure as to why categories are excluded from the Square Online sync. Not a great feeling to tell you guys that it isn't doable. So sorry about that. 

But you've come to the right thread to cast your vote. I tagged your case as a tally mark on the back end of this feature request. No further action needed from you. 

Thanks so much for understanding. 

Justin
Message 13 of 49

I have items available for local pickup in my online store that I sell in my shop. It's all one inventory. The items online are in categories in the online shop which I know don't sync to my Square POS, so how do I add the items to a specific category in Square POS so I can ring them up for walk-up sales and have it adjust the number available online?

Message 14 of 49
Beta Member

You can create categories and also vendors on Square. When entering an item on Square you can select the category and vendor from a drop down list. 

Message 15 of 49
Beta Member

Aloha!  We are a brick and mortar with multiple vendors and inventory.  Due to COVID we are trying to get online and are currently setting up our online site.  Our categories and vendors in the POS donʻt sync to our online store.  We have to go through and recreate the categories and populate them with the product.  Is there a fix or automation for this?  Our Online store is completely synced (buttons toggled on).  Mahalo

Message 16 of 49

Hello!

I am new to Square Online and having trouble with some very basic setup.

END GAME:

1. Displaying 3 different online ordering menus (to-go, catering, dine-in) on the website. 
  2. Linking my Item listings to the menus.

DONE SO FAR:

1. Created 3 categories according to the three different service methods (to-go, dine-in, catering). (See attached screenshot #1)
  2. Created 5 food categories (apps, soup, salad, entree, dessert) that nest under each of the 3 service categories.
  3. Created listings for each food item for sale.
  4. Assigned each food item to all applicable categories.

PROBLEM:

1. I cannot find a way to DISPLAY these groups of items on any page.
  2. If I try to add an item to a menu, the items do not show up in the database. (See attached screenshot #2)

If there is a simpler way to achieve my end goal, I would covet your advice!

TIA!

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 7.44.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-27 at 7.49.58 PM.png

Message 17 of 49

Hi, it looks very good with the different categories and placement of items, I believe you are on the right path.  In the second screenshot what happens when you click the blue Item Library link?

Terri

🛍 Shop my store

Resale Collection - http://bit.ly/HangerHues

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 18 of 49

It shows no items available to be added, even after I select "View all." The only way to add an item is to create it again from scratch, starting at that screen.

Message 19 of 49

HI, ok lets see, are you adding the items to BOTH the ordering type AND food type?  OR are you just adding the item to the appropriate food type?

Terri

🛍 Shop my store

Resale Collection - http://bit.ly/HangerHues

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 20 of 49

Hmm, I didn't know those were two separate things. I want people to order food, because that's my product. I would think that I could create each item once and then display it on any page for ordering. What's the simplest way for me to do that, so that I don't have to create and update items in multiple places? (This concept is the entire reason I went with SquareUp Online instead of another e-commerce platform.)

Message 21 of 49