x

Create Payment Links Similar to PayPal Buttons?

I'm a freelance designer and bill clients for my services using my own invoices.

Currently I have PayPal Buttons created in my standard payment amounts ($500, $1000, etc) and I embed the links for these payment amounts in my invoice.  When my client clicks on the link, they are taken to Payl's webiste for payment processing, and the amount is prefilled so they can't mistakenly enter the wrong amount.

I want to create something similar with Square and would appreciate any advice on how to create these links.

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@Mrbusinesscoach The short answer is yes!

You can request a payment either by sending a Square Invoice by email, or by manually sharing a the link to an invoice in a text. You can also use Square Online Checkout to send a payment link to your customer. Take a look at these Support Center articles to get started: 

Send Square Invoices Online

Get Started with Square Online Checkout Links

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Square

Hi @seedstudio, we don't currently offer payments links like Paypal's. With the use of our e-commerce API, a custom solution can be made however. Check out this thread for more information and additional links. Hope that helps!

Message 2 of 11

I also would like the ability to embed payment buttons on my own web site and just found out that Square no long supports this feature. Bumper. 

I found a couple other threads in the forum with similar question/request. And the general repeated response from Square staff here is 'we don't currently support this feature and don't have plan in the future..' or 'we'll pass this request on to liason...' This sounds like a monolithic response with little customer care. Basically someone 'up there' makes the decision, and it trickles down to a message for us customers: Square has decided so and that's the way it is." 

If you truly care about customers as you often say, it would help to explain to us what were the smart guys up there thinking when they decided to kill such useful feature, and how this decision helps improve anything at all. Or does this go along with some marketing ploy to put Square in a better advantage?

Thank you.

Message 3 of 11

I'm a brand new user of Square and need to replace the paypal button functionality with a simple link that a user can click on and make a single payment.  That should a super easy to implement.

Unfortunately, this is the third or fourth feature that I need that Square doesn't provide.  Not a good sign ...

Message 4 of 11
Admin

Hi @hull39. I have an update for this thread that might help: we have a new feature called Checkout Links that you can use to sell an item or a specific amount online. You can embed the a checkout link to your existing website too. For more details take a look at our Support Center!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 5 of 11

I have been forced to use PayPal to accept client payments with a URL that allows them to enter any amount they want and send it to me.  Square really needs to have this feature.  I should not have to dive into API's or use 3rd-party solutions.  It can't be that difficult to have a URL such as https://squareup.com/pay/canyoncomputer or something like this.  Now the processing fees go to PayPal instead of Square.  Please add this feature...thank you!

Message 6 of 11
Admin

Hi @CanyonCS, welcome to the seller community and thanks for your post!

We are tracking this request, though I wasn't able to access a timeline for when this feature would become available. Some other sellers brought up a similar question in another thread, and we offered some possible workarounds. Have a look at Spenser's reply in "Create Payment Links Similar to PayPal Buttons?" for more info. Sorry for any frustration—we're working to make improvements based on seller feedback. Please do keep in touch.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 7 of 11

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: how to add square payment button on my web? is also a check out square page?

Need an html button to show on my web (as paypal, etc),

as well as a check out safe square page, does that exist?

Message 8 of 11
Alumni

Hey there @barbarapaola - we don't currently have a button exactly like what you've described here, but I've moved your post to a thread where other sellers have had the same question.

I'd recommend taking a look at @Helen's suggestion about checkout links, as it sounds like this may be a good option for you. You can also set up a free online store through your Square account, if you would like a place for your customers to be able to purchase your items online.

Lastly, custom solutions are always an option, if you've got someone who is able to build out a custom solution for you using our e-commerce API.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 11

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can I send an email link for payment?

Does Square allow us to send an email link for payment.  And if so, How can I do this?

Message 10 of 11
Admin

Best Answer

@Mrbusinesscoach The short answer is yes!

You can request a payment either by sending a Square Invoice by email, or by manually sharing a the link to an invoice in a text. You can also use Square Online Checkout to send a payment link to your customer. Take a look at these Support Center articles to get started: 

Send Square Invoices Online

Get Started with Square Online Checkout Links

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 11 of 11