x

Does square webstores support multiple languages?

Hello, I can't seem to find an app or a built-in feature enabling multiple languages within a webstore. Im a Canadian business, my Canadian clients expect to have the option of browsing my site in either official language. I selected French as the language option because I'm based in Quebec but I'm surprised that I can't also offer visitors the option of switching to English. I can't sell to the rest of Canada!

I'm not interested in letting Google translate the site: anyone who speaks more than one language knows how poor the translation is. its ok to translate a word or a short sentence, but certainly not an entire product description.

Is there an app that offers it? I tried all the keyworkds I could think of but got no results. 

Message 1 of 19
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @obnl

Welcome to the Community. 

I appreciate you reaching out about the Online Store. Even in bi-lingual territories you can only have 1 default version of the language on the site. What I can recommend is if you leave it English, then your Quebec customers (who need French) can make sure their browser language is set to French - this way the website will post in French.

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Best Answer

Hi there, @obnl

Welcome to the Community. 

I appreciate you reaching out about the Online Store. Even in bi-lingual territories you can only have 1 default version of the language on the site. What I can recommend is if you leave it English, then your Quebec customers (who need French) can make sure their browser language is set to French - this way the website will post in French.

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Kassi
Message 2 of 19

Hi Kassi, thank you for the quick reply!

I appreciate the advice but having the browser translate automatically is not a substitute for curated content in the original language. 

As a French-speaker who also understands English, I can attest that browser translated content reads like what it is: a poor translation ripe with mistakes, contradictions and often, pure nonsense.

I tried it once and the words "layered fabrics" were translated to "several diapers". Not good.

Can this request  for a multilingual store be forwarded to the app developpers as well as to the Square development team? Maybe it could inspire someone 🙂 I'd be a willing client.

I'll keep using the French version for now. 

Thank you!

Message 3 of 19

@obnl

No problem! I would be happy to tag this as a Feature Request for our Development Team. 

Kassi
Message 4 of 19
Beta Member

Yes, for everyone using Square in Québec, and any part of Canada where there are both French and English speakers, we absolutely NEED to have multiple language support! I'm having to enter text in both languages for all the menus, categories, item titles and descriptions and it is VERY cluttered.

It seems all other online storefronts have this feature (Wix, Shopify, etc.) and Canada being a bilingual country, it is pretty much necessary to have both languages available on the site.

Automatic translations are simply not acceptable because, as the OP stated they are filled with mistakes and non-sensical translations.

Also, our business being based in Québec, we are required by law to have all our documentation, advertising and content in French first. Please make this happen 🙂

Message 5 of 19

I was wondering if there were any updates on this issue. We also need to have our website in both official languages since we are based in the Québec province but are looking to sell everywhere in Canada. And I agree that we cannot rely on the automatic language settings, french being a beautiful but complex language. 

Thank you. 

Message 6 of 19

Same here...

I'm also in Quebec and NEED a bilingual site. (Or I technically need to type everything in both languages)

Any updates?

Thanks in advance!

Message 7 of 19

Hi there @AnikAkina

Thank you for your patience on this. While it is not currently available, we will update this thread if there is more information or any updates on this. 

Ellie
Message 8 of 19

Is there any change or advancements on this?

We absolutely need a builingual website and i would hate to start over my website with the competition

Message 9 of 19
Beta Member

Hello,

You guys need to make this a priority because offering French services is the LAW here in Quebec, and since we also want to able to sell to other people who don't speak French, a having a multilingual option is NECESSARY.

We have been asking you since 2020 here. Etsy did years ago, Shopify did it years ago.

We deserve to get this feature too, especially for businesses like our that have over 2000 SKUs, run both a physical location and online sales and need everything to be seamlessly integrated. We have been thinking for months now to switch to Shopify because of this feature alone, plus their Wholesale feature, but we're stuck with Square because of our massive item catalog, images of products uploaded that can't be re-downloaded and gift cards.

Please, please implement this.

Message 10 of 19

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How can I duplicate my website?

Hi, I need to translate my website from English to French. 

#1: Is there an option for that? 

#2: Can I simply make a copy of my English website and translate it?

Thank you! 

Message 11 of 19
Alumni

Hi there @Dany 👋 @Kassi explained here that this is currently not possible, and provided a helpful tip in the meantime! I've moved your post to this thread so you can take a look at her Best Answer.

I can also confirm that it is not possible to duplicate your website. This is currently considered a feature request - we'll be sure to update this thread if something changes, so stay subscribed to this thread to be notified!

Valentina
Message 12 of 19

Hi there Square team ! Respectfully, how hard can it be to create a "Duplicate site" feature!? This thread is over a year old and still nothing concrete being said nor done... 😟 You have it for pages, templates, etc. IT IS CRUCIAL FOR SOME OF US! We could than translate our own sites and make 👉 you more money %... Maybe this way of seeing it is a better incentive? 😉

Message 13 of 19

I fully agree, we are a Texas based Bakery and would love a Spanish option.

Regards,
Bill CCO
Message 14 of 19

Multi-lingual option should be considered a fundamental feature and prioritized! 

Message 15 of 19

I’ll second that and raise that it’s of up most importance!!!! Along with having the « duplicate web site » function to create the 2nd and following languages sites… 

Message 16 of 19

Absolutely essential! Customers must have the choice of English or French communications.

My account is setup in English and it says this will not affect client settings, but when I select to edit the appointment emails, it says the default language there is the one in the account settings - which is English. Convenient for me being my mother tongue but my clientele is made up of 70 / 30 French / English speakers. I cannot exlude like that by law.

Message 17 of 19

Please let me know if there are updates. I just launched my website thinking there was an option to add a toggle button for french to english. I may have to ditch Square and start over as I am in Quebec and it is mandatory to have both!

Message 18 of 19

We are a bilingual choir from Ottawa and have our website in both languages, so I know what you are going through. Square needs to allow us to create multi language versions of the same site. Have you tried suggesting this to support?

Message 19 of 19