x

Exchanges and paying the difference

Often customers want to exchange a product for something else and pay the difference. That would be a great time saver. Is there a way to do this rather than doing 2 separate transactions. If not is this a future option

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Hello @Lka, welcome to the Seller Community! 🎉

I see how having the option to do an exchange instead of a refund and then another sale would be a huge time saver. Currently Square does not have the ability to process an exchange. It is a feature request we're tracking so I will make sure to flag your post for the product team! 

If I can help with anything else please let me let me know! 😀

Message 2 of 9

I am distressed that Square does not have an exchange option at this point, particulary when it is a gift item.  We recently had a customer returning partial amount product that was a gift.  The amount was inadvertently sent back to the purchaser ( instead of to the gift receipent) before realizing it and we were not able to reverse the transaction. 

Message 3 of 9

Hello @kr07, I'm sorry to hear about the incident! 

Currently exchanges are still a feature request. I will make sure to add your voice to this suggestion! 

We do have the ability to Issue a Refund to your Square Gift Card. This will allow you to provide your customers with the option of store credit when returning items and can be particularly helpful when the item being returned is a gift. 

If you have any questions please let me know! 😀

Message 4 of 9

How do we submit requests for feature development?  Or see what features are currently in development?  I recently switched back to Square after being told by a sales rep that this feature as well as others had been updated / improved.  They have not.  If they aren't going to be added soon, I will probably have to leave Square again.  However, I don't want to switch processors again just to have this feature pop up the minute I leave.

Message 5 of 9
Alumni

Hi @smallakin - We have a feature request board, but this works too!

We want to loop in our product team to get more information for you, but want to learn a little more first. Are you referring to the Square for Retail app or POS? Anything specific you'd be looking for in an exchange feature? 

Message 6 of 9

Hi Katie - 

I would need the feature added to both or either.  I am currently paying for Square Retail but using the POS app as the Square for Retail doesn't have the option to use an item grid (which is really weird and also another feature I would love to request) and we don't use barcodes.  We have been doing returns in Retail so that the inventory is added back, but there is no way to exchange items.  So when someone exchanges an item for a different size, we have to make a note in a ledger and change stock manually.  And if they exchange for a different item, there is absolutely no way to note this in the system unless you want to refund and then re-ring the other item which is not ideal as the funds don't go back into their account immediately. 

So what we have been doing is giving cash back for the difference, doing a payout in the cash drawer and marking on their receipt, or charging them for the difference as a custom amount.  Neither of these are ideal and both end up creating incorrect reports.

Message 7 of 9
Alumni

Hi @smallakin - Thanks for elaborating on what you'd like to see! Super helpful feedback for our product team.

I just got word back from our Square Retail product team that exchanges are their top priority right now. They're heard from many different sellers about the need for this feature and are working hard to make it right. And you're right - it's one of the top requested features. 

Message 8 of 9

It is completely ridiculous that there is not a way to do an exchange transaction. This is retail 101. 

Message 9 of 9