x

Feature Request: Add Open Tickets feature to Square for Retail

Feature Request: Add Open Tickets feature to Square for Retail

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Is having an "Open Ticket" an option in Square for Retail?

Using Square for Retail, if  Customer #1 needs to leave the counter during a transaction, can I save or suspend their ticket while I ring up Customer #2, and then go back to complete customer #1's sale?

95 Comments

has there been any progress on this? I run a seasonal business, where frequent customers run tabs throughout the summer. The open cart option isn't great, as I can't email bills to customers throughout the season. Please add this feature to Square for Retail! I was told that I could run tabs when I spoke to someone about purchasing this system! 

Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @LiaJmt - thanks for reaching out and checking in on this feature. No update or timeline to share in this regard, just yet. We will continue to share new info as we have it. We appreciate your patience!

Any update on this. We too work with clients that come in so often is more effective to run a tab. But, having moved to online ordering system too, those tabs need to connect to immediate inventory when save. Thanks. 

Online food ordering system is one of those techniques that have gained ground for simplifying things for both restaurants and the customers. Having your own online ordering service can definitely help boost any restaurant’s sales.

You can take charge of your own brand and save on commission fees charged by third-party aggregators. But simply putting up a website or building a mobile app for customers to order food.

SpotnEats is one of the popular multi restaurant online food ordering systems, it was specially designed with the latest technologies with the intention to give hassle-free workflow and managing every task the one screen. Reach them to get a live demo and to more details about their solution.

In my store, we often let people make a down payment on items, leaving the merchandise in store until they finish paying for it. We use open tickets to track the merchandise and the payments. 

But I've just discovered that an item sold via open ticket is not removed from inventory until the ticket is settled and closed. Why?

I understand that Square's open ticket system was designed for use in a bar. But even in a bar they have to track inventory. You can't continue to sell an unlimited quantity of a limited physical item.

I found this post, dated January 2017, asking for help with this same problem. https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Seller-Community-US/ct-p/Seller_Community_US?profile.language=en

That's 3 and a half years ago! And the only response I see, repeatedly, is the usual "I can see how this would be helpful". 

All you have to do is a little code tweak to change the inventory count for an item flagged on an open ticket. Even in a bar, that item has already been consumed. The bar will not get it back. 

I understand that Square started as something different, and has evolved into something bigger. But please be more supportive. We need this!

as a cafe and market we are currently using orders in online store AND open tickets for call ins. its very dufficult to keep tràck of stock when ticket does not affect inventory levels.

Beta Member

Agreed on this as well! In a bar situation, we have 8 bottles of an item - and a group comes in, asks for them all - and the inventory still shows as available... Which doesn't help when you have more than one bartender on shift and they are looking everywhere for those 8 bottles - especially if the previous bartender leaves due to shift being over and the group who is drinking, carries over to that other shift.

If there was a "hot button" that floated over the POS screen - that when you clicked on it, that gave you a list of the items with the quantity of each, it would help managers and bartenders know at a glance what is the total of all open tickets.

Hi all,

We just bought the Star mc-print3 printer specifically so we could print online orders automatically as they come in. We are using Square for Retail, and the online store with Weebly. I can print receipts with no problem, but the receipts don't have the info for Postmates, Curbside pickup, Customer name, etc, and they don't auto-print. After reading these forums, it appears the workaround is to download Square Register and set up auto printing for online orders. So we did that, and it does work, but then why are we paying for Square for Retail? Right now we have "regular Square" running in the background on one of our ipads so that it'll auto print our online orders, notifying our staff to go pull that order for pickup/delivery. I can't even print the order AT ALL from the orders tab on Square for Retail, there isn't even the option. 

Bizarre. Can we request this feature be added to Retail, since it's already free in the Register app?

Thanks for any help!

Admin

Hey @RabbitFoodGro-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

I'd like to understand your business just a bit better. What features within Square for Retail do you use/are necessary for your business that keep you from using the Square Point of Sale app? 

Let me know! Then I can make a better suggestion. 

We are a boutique grocery store. So the feature we mainly use is Purchase Orders and the ability to scan in stock as it comes in. Would love the ability to print online orders from the Retail app, because it would make life easier. Now when we run both POS and Retail, it makes our barcode scanners confused and try to disconnect and reconnect to each app. Really a pain.