x

Feature Request: Add Open Tickets feature to Square for Retail

Feature Request: Add Open Tickets feature to Square for Retail

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Is having an "Open Ticket" an option in Square for Retail?

Using Square for Retail, if  Customer #1 needs to leave the counter during a transaction, can I save or suspend their ticket while I ring up Customer #2, and then go back to complete customer #1's sale?

95 Comments

We've been waiting for them to bring that option to square for retail (would help a lot).  They told us they are "working" on it.

Beta Member

Ok so my problem is I have customers who have stuff on hold on tickets..  however that merchandise is not taken out of inventory until the ticket is paid.  I am try to have accurate inventory for my online store but.  This is making it difficult.  Is there a way to have items that are on tickets taken out of inventory. 

Beta Member

We also need this option expedited on the "to-do" list of the programmers.

As a Paint-Your-Own-Pottery studio, we started out with an online store during the COVID-19 shutdowns to allow our customers to paint at home with curbside pickup. We are now open for walk-ins in a limited capacity but with the option to still order items online (which many do).

We open a ticket as they sit down and add items to their table but it can take hours for a group to choose and paint their pieces in studio. With hundreds of SKUs on-hand but low volumes of each, the issue is that we may sell out of something in-store but the online site still shows that item as available. We have a 30-min order fulfillment time, so the online customer may order and be on their way to pick up their to-go sale before we realize that there is none left in inventory.

All we can do at that point is apologize, give discounts to keep the customer happy and occasionally throw Square under the bus as a poor inventory product (generated invoices have the same issue) and promise we will have a solution soon... at least before the upcoming holiday rush where this will become a ten-fold problem. 

Thank you for a robust system that meets many of our business needs, but please add this capability even as an on/off option for those that could use it. 

Square Community Moderator

Hey! I've merged your post with an existing thread. This is a feature request we are currently tracking, but I do not have a release date yet. For now, you will need to manually adjust your inventory to keep track of items that are on hold in your open tickets. 

I will keep passing the feedback up to our team and post any updates as they come. Thank you!

Beta Member

We’re having the same issue. In Square for Retail, we can open “Orders” and manage them but CANNOT print them to the receipt printer from the app. We’d like them to print automatically as online orders come in, but we also want to print them on demand.

I can’t believe this isn’t possible. 

Beta Member

What is the status of this feature? We are able to automatically print online orders from Square for Restaurants, but this is still not possible in Square for Retail. This needs to be an option, please.

Beta Member

Same issue here. We can automatically print online orders from Square for Restaurants, but cannot do so from Square for Retail. Can't even print orders manually if you want to. This is a huge issue, especially going into the holidays. What is the status of adding this feature? Thank you!

Square Community Moderator

Hi @Cheesetique - thanks for reaching out! Still no shareable update on this Feature Request, just yet. As soon as we have some solidified information to share, we will reach back out here and let you know.

Thanks, again!

Here's what we're doing. We use Square for Retail as our main interface. But we keep "regular Square" running in the background on both iPads so that when an online order comes in it'll print the ticket automatically. It works fine, but would be real nice if I could get the system that we pay extra for to do the thing that the free version does. 😕

Beta Member

Thank you! We will give that a try.