x

Feature Request: Add Open Tickets feature to Square for Retail

Feature Request: Add Open Tickets feature to Square for Retail

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Is having an "Open Ticket" an option in Square for Retail?

Using Square for Retail, if  Customer #1 needs to leave the counter during a transaction, can I save or suspend their ticket while I ring up Customer #2, and then go back to complete customer #1's sale?

95 Comments
Alumni

Would open tickets work for your store, @jgrgetich? Even though you use multiple devices, as long as they are all logged into the same Square account, you can access any open ticket from any device that is logged in.

Also - welcome back to the Seller Community🎉

Beta Member

Add me as a plus one to implement this...
I run a farm and vend at farmer's markets, and am wanting to start taking online orders and am currently testing various POS. I frequently have customers either call and ask me to hold items, and open tickets for me would need to remove inventory to keep the online store in sync to prevent overselling items. I'm confused as to the use case of not wanting inventory in an open ticket to update at entry save, the same goes for invoices, they update, but only on payment, which seems rather counter intuitive.
Are there any workarounds using Square?
Thanks.

Beta Member

We will give this a shot.  I believed we tried, but need to verify.  We were the beta testers for Square Retail for Register and I believe when open tickets came out it was tested.  I will verify and get back to ya. Thanks for replying.

Hi Velentina - was there ever an update on this issue? I have just run into the exact same issues.

Alumni

Hi there @Alli_BDT 👋

The Open Tickets feature is available when using the Square Point of Sale app, but not the Retail app.

However, we have a Save Cart feature. From there, you can turn a cart into a pickup or shipping order, but your customer would need to pay in person. We would suggest adding the items that your customer wants to the cart, then sending a payment link, without using open tickets at all. Learn more about this here!

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 3.34.39 PM.png  Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 3.33.32 PM.png

Let me know if you have questions about this, or give us a call if you want to walk someone through the steps you're taking!

Beta Member

When using the ticket function, it would be helpful if the items saved in the ticket were taken out of inventory so we don't oversell the item if the item is still physically present while the customer is still shopping or hasn't arrived to pick it up. etc... Perhaps there is another method for this?

Square Community Moderator

Hey @ShermanFamFarm

Welcome back to the Community. 

This is excellent feedback on the way tickets and your inventory speak to each other. I see your headache with the risk of overselling. 

Since an item has to be purchased to for it to be removed from your inventory, this would be a Feature Request for our product team. 

I've moved your post to the thread where other sellers have brought up this Feature Request too. Once an update becomes available, one of our Community Moderators will post a Product Update on the launch. 

Appreciate your candor on your experience with our platform. 

My business Needs inventory to be updated with open tickets. I have tickets that are open for several days while wholesale clients compile their retail orders. Then at the end of the week I close their tickets and check them out. I need to be able to know what the inventory of each item is prior to closing their ticket. This is a big deal for our business and we may need to find an alternative systme if this can't be done. 

I'm hearing that from all of our clients as well.  It's a critical feature that's available in every other POS system we've worked with.

Hopefully Square will update soon.  We've been waiting for years (literally).  I don't understand why they're updating other parts of the API but not this.  It's essential.

Beta Member

I use Square for Retail to run my store, when I receive an online order from Square Online, the order shows up in the retail app and allows me to mark as ready or picked up. The retail app does not allow me to print the order ticket, however I am able to print it from the regular POS app. It is a huge pain in the butt to switch back and forth between apps.

Am I just missing something? The ability to print online order tickets from retail would be great as online is huge in todays day.