x

Feature Request: How can employees record their cash tips when they clock out?

Feature Request: How can employees record their cash tips when they clock out?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Square Payroll: How can employees record their cash tips when they clock out?

Yes!  Square needs to have this function as PART OF THEIR PAYROLL FUNCTION that we pay and subscribe to!  Right now I don't see anything that allows me to report cash tips for report and withholding purposes.  If Square is going to be charging us to "take care" of all the taxes, then this is one of those taxes that needs to be taken care of please!!

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How can employees declare cash tips on Square for Restaurants

Hello everyone, Helen here from the Community team. I'm very sorry that this hasn't been answered yet.

At this time there isn't a way for employees to manually enter cash tips from the Point of Sale app or Square for Restaurants app. Employees would record/track cash tips outside of your POS, and then in Square Payroll you can manually enter cash tips per employee when you run payroll. To track cash tips you could consider using the Homebase and Square integration.

I'm sorry that I don't have better news to share here, but I really appreciate your feedback. I've shared your posts with the Restaurants and Payroll teams too, and if it's possible for employees to enter their cash tips we'll reply here to notify you. 

39 Comments
Admin

Hello everyone, Helen here from the Community team. I'm very sorry that this hasn't been answered yet.

At this time there isn't a way for employees to manually enter cash tips from the Point of Sale app or Square for Restaurants app. Employees would record/track cash tips outside of your POS, and then in Square Payroll you can manually enter cash tips per employee when you run payroll. To track cash tips you could consider using the Homebase and Square integration.

I'm sorry that I don't have better news to share here, but I really appreciate your feedback. I've shared your posts with the Restaurants and Payroll teams too, and if it's possible for employees to enter their cash tips we'll reply here to notify you. 

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Feature Request: Allow employees to enter cash tips at end of shift

We are using Square for Restaurants, and I would love for a way for our tipped employees to be able to add their cash tips at the end of their shift review each day. This could be captured in a report somehow and put in their employee payroll file. The credit card tip tracking is great, just need to add cash tips to the report also. (We do not do tip pooling at our location.)

Admin

Thanks @ELK1! I'm adding your post to this thread where other sellers have let us know they'd also find this useful. We'll post here to share updates with you! 

Beta Member

THIS IS A MASSIVE no-brainer in terms of very simple and much needed funtionality. It's quite simply rediculous that something liek this wasn't included in the first version of this software. It's a glaring omission and frankly remarkable that such a well known and used service has left this out. This should be a standard with any payroll software, and is with most. Unexceptable.

This would be an extremely helpful feature in Square POS and Square for Restaurants.  We track this separately, but this creates far more work than necessary, particularly at payroll processing time.  Seems that if Square can record a bartender's clock-out, it surely can record the declared tips for that bartender at the same time.  I realize many track this through paid-outs, however even with a small number of employees it's more work than it needs to be.  Providing the proper conduit for each employee to report tip income relieves the employer of much of the responsibility associated with reporting tips.

Beta Member

This feature has been requested since 2016.  It is EXTREMELY important to those of us in the service industry.  I find it disappointing that Square has continued to develop apps such as the restaurant app without taking this into consideration..

Beta Member

Any status on this feature? @katieand @Tom 

Beta Member

I want this feature!

Beta Member

It is just unbelievable that this has been a requested feature for years and you guys go ahead and ignore it?  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. You advertise that Square Restaurants is a POS/TIMECARD/PAYROLL/CREDIT PAYMENT App.  This is a HUGE important part of a restaurant owners responsibility. WE are responsible to track CASH TIPS from servers.  Just writing them down on a piece of paper and manually inputting them into payroll is a weak response.  

PLEASE add this feature soon!

Admin

@TomsRestaurant

We're merging your post with this thread where the Feature Request has been escalated to the team. We'll be sure to pass this feedback as well.