x

Feature Request: How can employees record their cash tips when they clock out?

Feature Request: How can employees record their cash tips when they clock out?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Square Payroll: How can employees record their cash tips when they clock out?

Yes!  Square needs to have this function as PART OF THEIR PAYROLL FUNCTION that we pay and subscribe to!  Right now I don't see anything that allows me to report cash tips for report and withholding purposes.  If Square is going to be charging us to "take care" of all the taxes, then this is one of those taxes that needs to be taken care of please!!

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How can employees declare cash tips on Square for Restaurants

Hello everyone, Helen here from the Community team. I'm very sorry that this hasn't been answered yet.

At this time there isn't a way for employees to manually enter cash tips from the Point of Sale app or Square for Restaurants app. Employees would record/track cash tips outside of your POS, and then in Square Payroll you can manually enter cash tips per employee when you run payroll. To track cash tips you could consider using the Homebase and Square integration.

I'm sorry that I don't have better news to share here, but I really appreciate your feedback. I've shared your posts with the Restaurants and Payroll teams too, and if it's possible for employees to enter their cash tips we'll reply here to notify you. 

39 Comments

I too am having concerns with this as I am a self-employed hairstylist using Square for credit card processing, but am having to use other software to track all of my appointments and transactions. Causing more work. I need Square to be capable of recording cash tips!

We would like to see this option as well. Have at it Square 🙂

Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your feedback @TeamTaco!

We'll let the Product team know that you all are still looking for this feature.

Is there a way for employees to claim and report their cash tips for the day? I use square to track hours, but have a third party payroll company.

Thanks!

Alumni

Happy Monday @SIUN

Not at this time, but a popular feature request I might add. @Helen's best answer at the top of this thread explains the best workaround. I've moved your post  so you can see it! 

Since my last posting, and since this feature has not been added yet, I have developed my own "work around" for the time being. Being independent, it isn't that difficult to keep up with, but I have added an item "Manual Tip Entry" for my cash tips. I just process the card transaction and then create a separate transaction for that customer, if necessary, for the cash tip. If I know in advance that they are tipping in cash prior to running their card, I simply add the Manual Tip Entry item to my appointment and checkout the cash tip using the Split Payment option. It takes a little extra time, but I have my accounting in order & I can see my cash tips on the item report. It isn't perfect, but it will work for now. Hope this helps someone else.

Beta Member

I’d like to request this feature too. 

Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your voice here, @YourMoms - we appreciate you chiming in here in Support of this Feature.

As soon as we have some news to share in regards to Cash tips and Payroll, we will be sure to update everyone here on this thread. We appreciate your patience!

Hi @TomsRestaurant , Feel free to check out tipmetric.com. They have some of the granular Tip Pooling functionality you are looking for and are integrated w/ Square.

We use tippy for tipping our employees, next day deposit into their bank account. Do I add this to their paychecks every pay period?