x

Feature Request: How can employees record their cash tips when they clock out?

Feature Request: How can employees record their cash tips when they clock out?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Square Payroll: How can employees record their cash tips when they clock out?

Yes!  Square needs to have this function as PART OF THEIR PAYROLL FUNCTION that we pay and subscribe to!  Right now I don't see anything that allows me to report cash tips for report and withholding purposes.  If Square is going to be charging us to "take care" of all the taxes, then this is one of those taxes that needs to be taken care of please!!

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How can employees declare cash tips on Square for Restaurants

Hello everyone, Helen here from the Community team. I'm very sorry that this hasn't been answered yet.

At this time there isn't a way for employees to manually enter cash tips from the Point of Sale app or Square for Restaurants app. Employees would record/track cash tips outside of your POS, and then in Square Payroll you can manually enter cash tips per employee when you run payroll. To track cash tips you could consider using the Homebase and Square integration.

I'm sorry that I don't have better news to share here, but I really appreciate your feedback. I've shared your posts with the Restaurants and Payroll teams too, and if it's possible for employees to enter their cash tips we'll reply here to notify you. 

39 Comments
Admin

@Twistedhornmead I moved your post to a new thread to reduce confusion — some sellers use timecards without Square Payroll!

Your employees can't report cash tips when they clock out, but as you're using Payroll you can declare taxes on cash tips (as well as credit card tips) already paid to your employees on their paychecks.  

To declare cash tips already paid enter the amount into the Cash Tips field. The amounts you enter into this field will not be paid out to your employees but will be taxed. You can use this column to ensure that cash tips paid out to your employees are taxed accordingly.

(Tip: If you don’t see the fields for reporting tips, click the + icon to the left of the Gross Pay column > enable any columns you need to complete payroll.)

Thanks for your post too! I'll share your request for a way to report cash tips when your employees are clocking out with our Payroll Team. I do see how that would help!

Thank you!  I found that spot earlier...I had looked months ago and must have missed it.  Its there now!

I'd like to add my "me too" to this request. I see where I can add this in when I run payroll, but that means that the staff needs to use a spreadsheet to keep track of thier credit card and cash tips. Then I need to total up the amounts and manually add them when I run payroll.

I think the most elegant solution would be to import card tips earned during thier shift (square has this info) and then have a fillable field for cash tips earned during their shift. Then the system should total it and pre-populate the information when I run payroll. 

Yes, we keep a separate log as well.  I use a carbon copy receipt book.  Our cash tips are pooled and then distributed based on the number of hours worked.  The receipt has cash tips earned and credit card tips earned.  Then yes, every payroll I have to go and add them all up for each employee and manually add it in to the fields.  Businesses calculate tips differently, so I'm not sure an auto-populate feature would work for everyone.  But it would be nice to be able to log the cash tips each night into the system so that when I am home doing the payroll I don't have to  have "the book" with me to do it.  We haven't moved to a Google Doc to do this yet for all the managers to add it in for me to access online...maybe that's the next logical step. 🙂

Alumni

Thanks @PaintnSip & @Twistedhornmead for sharing your thoughts and that request! The Payroll team is really excited to hear new ideas so I'll be sure to share this one with them. 

Has any progress been made on this? I would love to see this implemented. It would make recording these so much easier.

Admin

Hey @PamN, thanks for checking in. I went to look for updates related to this request, though there isn't a specific timeline that I can access and share out. We definitely want to eliminate any unnecessary manual steps related to Payroll—please keep in touch as we'll circle back with any developments.

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: How can employees declare cash tips on Square for Restaurants

I am currently using Square for Restaurants for a 6,000 Sq Ft full service restaurant and bar. 

This is my first time using Square. I've been using it for 1 week and so far everything has been working great. One thing I am wondering is how can I allow employees to enter the amount of cash tips they have earned.

Currently I am paying out all non-cash tips in cash to my employees, so in Square Payroll, that amount migrates under "Cash Tips", however, the actual cash tips they earned have gone unreported and undeclared for the first week

I am wondering if there is a method to allow employees themselves to enter their cash tips earned during their end of shift procedure. Thanks

Disappoined that no one has responded to this question. The ability for an employee is declare cash tips is fundamental to the required IRS reporting obligations of restaurant operators. It's pretty bad if Square has ignored this issue. In Micros, or any of the stand alone legacy systems messages come up at end of shift requiring a cash tip declaration. This then goes, along with the credit card tips that server has earned on their tabs, on the employee wage report. 

It's kind of irresponsible for Square to sell this as a restaurant pos platform if they haven't done the programming work to make required reporting easy. 

I hope we get a proper answer to this. I'm just evaluating the restaurant POS software in preperations of opeing a place in the May/June timeframe. So I have some time to figure it out. But having used Square in other ventures, it would be a shame if their POS software was not up to par.