x

Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

Verified Answer

Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How to set up date and time selection for Square Online orders

Hi,

We quickly built a Square/Weebly Online Store this week so that people could place contactless/curbside orders for our gelato shop. It's working great and I love that the tickets print out when it's time to make the order.

We are also implementing a local delivery service where people can preorder with us and we'll deliver it on Friday night. Right now we're doing it by email to take their item order and we respond back with a Square Invoice to capture payment. Has anyone successfully found a way to do local delivery with the Online Store platform?

It would be awesome if besides Pickup or Shipping, merchants could toggle on a Local Delivery button and the merchant could set a few options, such as "Delivery on Friday night, 4-7pm," "Delivery on Saturday afternoon, 12-6pm." Maybe with an option to assign a fee, but that's less important during this emergency response.

Thank you and be safe.

3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

@lonestar31 @MCTMN 

We are currently testing Batch Processing in our Beta Community, which may help you out. This is another update to allowing pre-orders on your online store.  We'd love for you to join in the test and provide feedback.

To get started:

Please join our Square Online testing group.
Once accepted there are instructions in the group of how to get started in the test.

Verified Answer

Re: Feature request: Pre-Order Handling

Hi all! Thank you for jumping into. your thread for pre-orders and more customizable delivery/pick up options. We're excited that this feature is now moving into Beta testing, and we'd love to have you check it out.

Please take a few minutes to ready our Beta Recruiting post- and make sure you're a fit. We're looking to get his launched in the next few days. Also if you've replied to this thread, we will be sending you information on this test via DM as well.

Verified Answer

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How to set up date and time selection for Square Online orders

Hi,

We quickly built a Square/Weebly Online Store this week so that people could place contactless/curbside orders for our gelato shop. It's working great and I love that the tickets print out when it's time to make the order.

We are also implementing a local delivery service where people can preorder with us and we'll deliver it on Friday night. Right now we're doing it by email to take their item order and we respond back with a Square Invoice to capture payment. Has anyone successfully found a way to do local delivery with the Online Store platform?

It would be awesome if besides Pickup or Shipping, merchants could toggle on a Local Delivery button and the merchant could set a few options, such as "Delivery on Friday night, 4-7pm," "Delivery on Saturday afternoon, 12-6pm." Maybe with an option to assign a fee, but that's less important during this emergency response.

Thank you and be safe.

333 Comments
Beta Member

Ashley is correct, we do have some Square technology that can help you with that also. In fact, our big "Square" service and technology is a brandable, mobile app that's actually named Pre-Order! We can create a custom, Pre-Order Mobile App for you that connects to your existing Square Account in 30 seconds and pulls all your items. Then we have a checkout experience that'll add any items you want to the Cart on reserve. 

Check us out in the link in our signature. We're an official Square Partner Company that specializes in creating affordable, mobile apps powered by Square that have almost every feature imaginable.

Hello, all. I'm co-owner of a friendly local game store. We take pre-orders for various products, both in store and online.The ability to take pre-orders is vital to our business. Square is sorely lacking in the ability to properly handle pre-order items.

In Square POS, it is assumed that all items are paid taken upon completion of the purchase transaction. We'll have customers who buy on-hand product who also pre-order upcoming releases. We need a way to mark those pre-order items as needing to be fulfilled, or, better yet, converted into pending orders. Right now, we need to track those in-store pre-orders on paper.

In Square Online, when we take pre-orders, the system defaults to fulfillment times based on location. There is an option to change the lead time on each item, but that doesn't work for pre-orders. We need to be able to list the available date/release date, so the system stops telling customers a bogus time at which their order will be ready based on the location defaults. If I normally have a one hour lead time as the default, customers see a time that their order will be ready that may be weeks before the release date. This has already caused confusion for some of our customers. We want to be able to mark pre-order products as available for pickup at a date and time we enter, and have the customer-facing screens reflect that information.

We list release dates in the descriptions of products available for pre-order, but that doesn't prevent the confusion that occurs when customers see information (or receive order updates) that tell them their order is ready for pickup when the default time is reached.

Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @WizardAndrew 👋 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! Really happy to have you join us here. Our hope is that this space will prove to be a valuable resource as you grow your business with Square.

Really appreciate your strong suggestions and feedback, here. Posts like this are so helpful to determine what specifically our Sellers are facing in their unique business contexts. 

All good feedback, here. Specifically, I see a lot of potential in the suggestion for pre-order ability within a current in-person sale. This would be so helpful on so many fronts for many of our Sellers. As it stands now, our pre-order software has multiple facets available for improvement. Our Engineers developed pre-order pickup and delivery options specifically to be optimized in favor of Restaurants who were adapting to COVID circumstances - so getting some insight for new features for a business like yours that deals in regular extended pre-order games, is extremely helpful.

I'm happy to pass this along to our Product Teams and Engineers for future development. Should anything come down the pipeline, we can easily bounce back here and update you directly.

Thanks, again!

We run a vegetable farm and pre-sell plant starts and farm fresh food boxes. 

When we make a sale I would like to put, for example, 'pick up at 3:30 on Friday Oct 2' but the only option for choosing a date for order pick up is the amount prep time needed before pick up. When I pre-sell say two months in advance I would like to select a date that the product will be ready instead of constantly going onto the website and changing the days/months of prep time (I do this as work around for just picking a date for order pick up). 

If I miss changing the prep time by even an hour, if a customer orders in that window they get an order reply email saying the wrong date for pick up. This has caused much grief, and conversation with my business partners about leaving this platform - which otherwise i quite like and would like to continue using. 

I hope others find this preset difficult to work with so square will change it to allow for more customization. I don't know how you vote yet but they tell me votes on topics influence content changes! 

Let's have an option to pick our own date(s) for when an order can be picked up. 

What do you all think?

Hi. We are trying to set up our site to take orders for products that won't be available until November. The sale will run from now until late October, so the "prep time" will be constantly changing.

Is there a way to set the "pick-up date" for the day the orders will be available and not use prep-time because it is inaccurate!
I see similar threads but no answers for this particular issue.

Alumni

Another Seller asked a similar question on this thread. @Patchwork I agree, the ability to set dates for pickup is a must needed feature and allows more customization. 

I merged you to the thread mentioned above to add your voice to this ongoing request. 

We'll post here when there's good news to share. 

This is exactly the issue we are having! I have written to square several times on this topic. I really hope they make this change soon

Alumni

This thread mentions there isn't a way to specify a pick up date. I'm not familiar with a workaround. Hopefully Sellers can chime in with their ideas.  @Troop207

We also need to be able to set a specific date and time for pick up of items for sale.  It's not a rolling prep time, but a date that the items will be received and can be picked up.  Our particular fundraiser has two days to pick up, with specific (but different from each other) times, so we need the flexibility to say Friday Nov 20 from 5-7pm AND Sat Nov 21 fom 9am-2pm as pick up options.  Thanks for keeping us informed of this feature's development.

Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your voice here in support of this feature, @Patchwork. We appreciate your diligence in sharing with us what you need for your business and how this feature would be beneficial.

We will continue to share updates here on this thread as we have info to share about news and potential releases. Thanks for your continued patience!