x

GST & PST need to display separately on the receipt

Best practice is that GST & PST are displayed separately on receipts (so that customers can claim one or both back if allowed).  As far as I can tell, there is no way to do that right now.  

Step 1:  am I correct -- do the taxes just display as "taxes" on the receipt?  

Step 2:  if I'm correct, how soon can you change that?  

We love Square for most things, but this is going to really annoy some of our customers.  Thank you!

Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Sorry @Lyn3 for the misunderstanding!

We don't offer an option for that so that'd be a feature request. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Hey @Lyn3,

You can add your GST and RMT numbers, and any other business information you'd like to reflect on your receipts to your customers, from the Receipts tab in the Square Dashboard. 

You'll want to use the Custom Text box for any additional information that you need to add. 

Ashley C
Message 2 of 22

sorry, Ashley, but that's not the problem.  We need the tax amounts (dollars) to display separately.  Eg.  Item $10.00 GST $0.50  PST $0.70.  Right now it just says "Taxes $1.20".

Message 3 of 22

Best Answer

Sorry @Lyn3 for the misunderstanding!

We don't offer an option for that so that'd be a feature request. 

Ashley C
Message 4 of 22

Thank you!  :-).   How do I do a "feature request"?

Message 5 of 22

@Lyn3 We tag them here in the Community and bubble them up to our Product Teams.

We'll track requests here that other sellers can add to!

Ashley C
Message 6 of 22

Heh Ashley, now that I’ve seen Samuel’s post, I realize this is going to be a MAJOR problem for me.  Without separate reports, I’m going to have to manually sort out all the taxes for hundreds of items every month.  That’s a nightmare.  Can you give me an ETA on the change to the program?

Message 7 of 22
Beta Member

There's none 😅 The problem of accrual method has been told months ago.

Message 8 of 22
Beta Member

I would need that too. My accountant is going crazy with our own invoice. This, and the accrual method report that isn't supported and, as a business in Canada, we need to comply legally

Message 9 of 22
Beta Member

@ashc This really is a legal matter. Please have your programmers read the Canada Revenue Agency information on invoicing and receipting for visibility into the federal taxes.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/gst-hst-businesses/charge-col...

"You have to show the GST/HST rate that applies to the supply. Also, you have to either show the amount paid or payable for the supply separately from the amount of GST/HST payable on the supply or show that the total amount paid or payable for a supply includes the GST/HST." Meaning, you need to show the GST on a separate line on your receipt or invoice.
Square doesn't do this
This is not ok in the Canadian equivalent to the IRS's eyes.

Message 10 of 22
Super Seller

E1A344B9-7598-4A74-A00C-3C3402EA5D4F_1_201_a.jpegCanada seller here. My receipts show the breakdown of PST & GST, how are your taxes set up? 

@ylmalibuclub @SamuelDesgagne1  @Lyn3 

Sammy Grace

Please Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 22
Beta Member

My biggest issue is the invoice. We have some items that are tax included and some that are tax on top, it just shows "Subtotal $" then "Included Tax $". It doesn't say which taxes (PST and GST)

ylmalibuclub_0-1626716116552.png

Message 12 of 22
Super Seller

@ylmalibuclub hmm! None of my items are tax included, but I looked at all my invoices and they all show the breakdown of PST and GST. None have it batched together.

Sammy Grace

Message 13 of 22
Beta Member

Are you in taxes included mode? Because I have taxes included and have the same problem as @ylmalibuclub 

It's not the only legal thing that square doesn't support. As I post as much as I can on this issue : accrual method reporting. 

You can find more here :

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Square-invoice-accrual-method/td-p/231797

Definitely need the separated taxes every where! Online, receipt and invoice. My accountant need to do it manually. Frustrating when you know it could be made automatically.

Message 14 of 22
Super Seller

@SamuelDesgagne1 ah I see. It's the taxes included that is combining it together, I just tested by adding 2 taxes included options and created an invoice. 

Would it not be easier for your accountant, and your records, to have your item price not include tax? Everything would automatically be separated then. 

SammyGrace2414_0-1626875958333.png

Sammy Grace

Message 15 of 22
Beta Member

Yeah totaly understand, but for places that politics are "taxes included" likes us since 25 years, we love working like this and never had a problem before. Our client like this too. No "funky" change to give (5 cents and 10 cents). Only dollars, or 25 cent at max. Transaction goes faster. Need this speed to keep up with the demand.

Message 16 of 22

What POS provider do you use?

Message 17 of 22
Beta Member

It's really not that hard to implement since they do it for tax not included mode. There's only the GST and QST(or PST) line to add in the tax included mode.

SamuelDesgagne1_0-1634654986705.png

Still really annoying. Got comments from other companies with which we work as they got problem with Square invoices. 

Message 18 of 22

We set up our taxes separately to show on the receipt separate. In the items screen, go down to taxes and instead of having HST be the 13% for example, create two different taxes (GST and PST) with 5% and 8% respectively. Now it will be separate, making it easier for us to process Native tax exempt purchases-we just turn the one tax off on purchase.  

Message 19 of 22
Beta Member

I am trying to get a monthly report that shows how much GST ans PST I have charged. Not all my services have PST on them. Right now my monthly report just shows all the tax instead of separating it.

Message 20 of 22
Alumni

Are you looking for this for the same reasons expressed by @EarthMarket here in this thread?

Please let me know if this isn't what you're asking about, @addicted2hairl!

Valentina
Message 21 of 22