x
Super Seller Alumni

Google Analytics Integration issue with Weebly and eccommerce event data not loading.

Hello,

I have an issue that needs to be addressed. When adding the GA UA ID snippet to the Integrations pannel in the Square Online Store, I receive multiple hits for pageviews on a single page load. I have analyzed it with a Google Analytics Developer who has identified that Weebly has both analytics.js and gtag.js installed in the source code. This is causing the source to fire multiple times on a single page load. Furthermore, the gtag.js was loaded onto the page multiple times, thus, the reason that I continue receiving 5-12 page views per single page load.

Additionally, none of the Enhanced Eccomerece tracking events are firing. For example, when an item is added to the cart, the Cart/product tag event should be fired. But it is only firing a page view. Thus, more conflicts.

Please see to this issue as I am screwing up my data more by the day. I would like to be able to track all rich eccomerce events. 

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

https://vickeryhill.com/blog/weebly-square-google-analytics/

Found this solid article articulating our exact problems and it is rather current. Concluded all of the things I had with another GA developer. Hope this helps!

View Best Answer >

Message 14 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

My ecommerce data isn't tracking either.  I've adjusted ecommerce settings in google analytics.  As far as I can tell, I'm getting views from the Weebly site, but as soon as someone puts something in their cart (now they're on the square store) I've got zero data.  

I've tried the tracking code in integrations, also removing tracking code and then putting code into the header.  

@Devin3627 did you figure it out? 

What am I missing? 

Message 2 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

@JBT2020 Yeah, this is a tricky one for sure. So currently, I am still awaiting Weebly Support to get back to me about the issue. So on my end, I am receiving 7 ish page views per page load in analytics. I went in with someone who knows even more about Analytics than me, and he broke it all down (He is the GA developer Getty Images, he also built out Weebly's GA Tracking for their personal use in the past). 

It appears they have a gtag shoved into the site like 7 odd times or so (or at least it gets called 7 times for pageviews alone). So we are awaiting their answer on fixing it. I cannot fix it, clearly none of us have access to the backend of things. Which sucks. 

To my understanding, the e-commerce track-ability thru Weebly SHOULD already be built out. Meaning, they should have already set up custom cart, checkout, events etc. because they utilize the same trackers for their own internal tracking. To my knowledge from reading other customer posts about this, that is supposed to be the case.

Needless to say, I spent all this time writing this because I know how frustrating it is. It's destroying my GA right now because my pageviews are thru the roof! And I cant even fix it! So i know how frustrating it is. 

Message 3 of 16

Frustrating for sure!  @Devin3627 Please keep me updated and I'll do the same if I find a workaround / solution.  

Thanks! 

Message 4 of 16

Hey @Devin3627 , Any luck?  

Message 5 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

Unfortunately not yet. I plan on calling them today about it sense the CSR that was working with me provided no insight and basically told me that you can't use google analytics... Which makes NO sense because its programed into their backend. But whatever, he didn't seem to know much. So i will keep pushing.

Message 6 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

Great news! Sorta, haha.

So I have finally gotten Weebly to identify the problem as a "bug", instead of non-existent. So that means there is hope!Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 4.33.53 PM.png

Message 7 of 16

We are also having the same issue with our site. I just removed the GA code, republished, added the GA code, republished again... fingers crossed it starts flowing the e-commerce data. Have any of you been able to get resolution?

Message 8 of 16

We figured it out... all our settings were good on the Google side..... here's the issue....

Ensure your Google Analytics is enabled for eCommerce, then check your settings below.

Go to Website > Integrations > Google Analytics - insert your entire UA-1234567-9 #

Go to Settings > General > scroll down to Tracking > Google Analytics tracking ID is ONLY the # portion, so input 1234567-9 (leave out the UA-).  We had input the entire UA# here and that was the problem, dropping the UA# and only leaving the digits.

Now all our eCommerce data is flowing, I've notified Weebly support to update the instructions since it doesn't clearly state to drop the "UA-" from the Tracking ID settings.

Hope this helps!

Message 9 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks for posting back @Kobra916 , however, how are your page views?

For every load on the page, GA is picking up 3 page views (currently, previously 9) per load. Thus, our counts are all off completely. Also, how long did it take you for the eccommerce stuff to load into GA?

Thanks,

Message 10 of 16

Yeah all our page views show as 3 for some reason... I thought it had something to do with pulling images or something.

Message 11 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

Yeah, not at all actually.

It's unfortunate that they have screwed up GA tracking this much. I have been remotely in contact and the bug has been in repair for a few weeks now. Hopefully Weebly will fix it soon.

Message 12 of 16

Use Chrome and install the Google Tag Assistant.  You can then see that there are multiple google tags.  I removed the one from "integrations" and now there is only one.

This is actually wrong.  Google stops tracking if you remove one of them.  The reports from Tag Assistant are wrong for some reason.  See this thread: https://community.weebly.com/t5/eCommerce/Goals-in-Google-Analytics-Tracking-sales-conversions/m-p/5...

Message 13 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

https://vickeryhill.com/blog/weebly-square-google-analytics/

Found this solid article articulating our exact problems and it is rather current. Concluded all of the things I had with another GA developer. Hope this helps!

Message 14 of 16

Hey Devin, after following the the above guide, I see that my transactions are double counted. Do you see the same issue with your store?

Message 15 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

It doesn't seem to be that way for me right now! I have single counts occurring!

Message 16 of 16