x

How best to add variations for pizza toppings?

We are setting up Square to run our pizzeria. I cannot figure out the best, most organized and least cumbersome way to set up topping options in variations. For each topping I have to have 3 options so the employee can select the topping for either the whole pizza, the 1st half or 2nd half of the pizza. It makes the order screen very involved as they have a very lengthy list of toppings to scroll through when inputting an order. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 36
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How well does Square Restaurant POS work with Pizza Ordering ?

Thanks for your insight @SweetB. Super helpful.

I like the quantity idea you mentioned regarding your modifiers. We definitely see how it could benefit your business model, and countless others. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi @peppinospizzas, sorry to see you haven't received a response to your post yet. I'm not sure there is a good solution for this unfortunately. Ideally we would offer sub-modifiers that could accommodate the three different options, but that's not a feature at the moment.

For the time being, I think the best way to organize the toppings would be to create a modifier set for each topping, and have the modifier options be the two halves or whole.

Thanks for posting; definitely see how more options here would useful. Let us know if you have any other questions.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Square

Best Answer

Hi @peppinospizzas, sorry to see you haven't received a response to your post yet. I'm not sure there is a good solution for this unfortunately. Ideally we would offer sub-modifiers that could accommodate the three different options, but that's not a feature at the moment.

For the time being, I think the best way to organize the toppings would be to create a modifier set for each topping, and have the modifier options be the two halves or whole.

Thanks for posting; definitely see how more options here would useful. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Message 2 of 36
Beta Member

Please tell me there is a better work around than this modified topping list now almost 19 months latter than this question was asked!  I am stumped and if we can't split pizzas there is no way I can go live with this system.  

Message 3 of 36
Admin

Thanks for checking in on this, @mobileromeos. I went to look for updates that would help solve for the need to split pizza toppings and there isn't anything that I can share out right now—sorry for the frustration.

I will be sharing your post with our Point of Sale team and point out that having a visual component to let one designate how toppings need to be added is vital for your pizzeria. We'll circle back with any updates as they come through.

In the meantime, you may want to have a look at Square for Restaurants, which we recently introduced. We've also partnered with a handful of restaurant services who may be able to offer a customized solution. For more details, head over to the App Marketplace > Restaurant Management.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit more. Please let me know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 36

I’m with you on this.  I’d like a picture of a pizza to pick which side the toppings go on. 

Message 5 of 36

This reply was created from merging an existing thread

I am trying to figue a way to set up for half and 1/4 pizza toppings for my pizzeria.  and ideas?

Message 6 of 36
Admin

Hey @Lanekimber! I'm adding your post to this thread - @peppinospizzas @mobileromeos Do you have any tips to share about how to best organize the item library, to help Lanekimber to get started? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 36

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Half and half pizza

What is the best way to set up a half and half pizza. Order is half pepperoni and half sausage?

thanks,

scott

Message 8 of 36
Admin

Great question Scott @Shrimpyramine! The debate about the best way to set up pizza toppings is ongoing in this thread. Read through this page for some ideas.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 36

Just got square we need ability to do selections per half  side too

Message 10 of 36

Since half sausage and half pepperoni pizzas are popular, I made a button just for that. Any pizzas with halfs or quarters I use the special request section. 

Message 11 of 36
Admin

Thanks for sharing how you manage these orders @HumbertosPizza, I appreciate it! 🍕😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 12 of 36

I don't understand why they can't change the settings for the options buttons. It would be much easier to select items at random, and have them show up in order selected, instead of selecting items, and them showing up in the order the buttons are positioned. You would think someone that someone on Squares behalf would have noticed this problem and fixed it by now. 

Message 13 of 36

Did you use variations or mods or...?

Message 14 of 36

Hello fellow SQUARES .. Im working on a new restaurant and was wondering how well the POS system works with ordering pizzas ? SO many toppings and variations etc .... I dont want to spend 3K+ on a pizza specific pizza POS .. 

Message 15 of 36
Admin

Hello @PizzaBugerBeer🍕🍔🍺

I moved your post over to this thread so you can take a look at Helen's answer, and also see how @HumbertosPizza has their modifiers set up. Hopefully some of the other sellers on this thread can chime in and talk about what's working for them!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 16 of 36

Any updates or changes to the pizza 1/2 & 1/2 ordering dilema? This is a big issue for the pizza community and needs a solution. The previous suggestions are just a "get around" we really need at minimum a way to enter 1st half & 2nd half. We do not do quarters but there plenty of places that do so... 

Message 17 of 36

What we do is just type in the half and half in special instructions. After a while to text prediction will make it faster. Then just click on whatever toppings that you need to charge. 

Message 18 of 36
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing your tips for a workaround here, @HumbertosPizza! We appreciate it!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 19 of 36
Beta Member

We switched to Square 18 mos ago. We do not have restaurant version as we did not need it for a counter order shop. The menu set up was tricky.  Had to work around half pizza and the occasional quarter pizza. We use cheese as vase and then H1 pepperoni   H2 pepperoni with list of all topping again under a modified item list. It’s fine once inputed. Hope that helps.

Message 20 of 36
Beta Member

But also a huge upgrade for us from old pos especially with online options. Can’t recommend enough. 

Message 21 of 36