x

How best to add variations for pizza toppings?

We are setting up Square to run our pizzeria. I cannot figure out the best, most organized and least cumbersome way to set up topping options in variations. For each topping I have to have 3 options so the employee can select the topping for either the whole pizza, the 1st half or 2nd half of the pizza. It makes the order screen very involved as they have a very lengthy list of toppings to scroll through when inputting an order. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 36
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How well does Square Restaurant POS work with Pizza Ordering ?

Thanks for your insight @SweetB. Super helpful.

I like the quantity idea you mentioned regarding your modifiers. We definitely see how it could benefit your business model, and countless others. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi @peppinospizzas, sorry to see you haven't received a response to your post yet. I'm not sure there is a good solution for this unfortunately. Ideally we would offer sub-modifiers that could accommodate the three different options, but that's not a feature at the moment.

For the time being, I think the best way to organize the toppings would be to create a modifier set for each topping, and have the modifier options be the two halves or whole.

Thanks for posting; definitely see how more options here would useful. Let us know if you have any other questions.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding what worked for you, @mobileromeos - we appreciate you jumping in here and sharing your tips! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 22 of 36
Beta Member

Hi, I thought I would share what we have done too. Similar to @mobileromeos, we have modifiers set up with Left Half & Right Half. We felt adding the terms "Left" & "right" were more helpful for our customers on the online side of it all. When creating the mods, be sure to use some kind of indicator on the mod name. We used "(L)" & "(R)"Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 1.03.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-06 at 1.04.33 AM.png

One helpful tip to better organize your modifiers for both customer and kitchen, use characters like  "<"  ">"  "*" to help create a visual highlight for those mods.

@Joe, One thing we are finding troublesome is how difficult it is to express double and triple toppings. For example, if a customer wants a pizza with 2x sausage and 3x pepperoni, there doesn't seem to be a way to add 3x pepperoni while also adding 3x the price for the modifier.

On a previous system we used, it was very easy. Every time you tapped "Pepperoni" it would add x times to the ticket, along with price. You could then tap the quantity number and reduce if needed. 

So overall, instead of the modifier working as a checkbox, it worked more like a number input field. That would be an AMAZING addition to the platform! I have made a mock up of how that could look on the online store.

modifier-mockup.jpg

Hope this helps some people! 

Message 23 of 36
Alumni

Thanks for your insight @SweetB. Super helpful.

I like the quantity idea you mentioned regarding your modifiers. We definitely see how it could benefit your business model, and countless others. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 24 of 36

How do I program a "create-your-own" pizza with modifiers (or....?) to have allow 1, 2, 3, or 4 topping pizzas and then limit the number of toppings to the appropriate Item.

Example:

Large 2 topping Pizza (fixed price but limited to 2 topping modifiers)

Medium 4 Topping Pizza with Extra Topping (Fixed Price for first for toppings, but 5th topping added on at a charge)

....and of course tracking for ingredients portions used: Dough, Sauce, Mozza, each topping...etc.

Message 25 of 36

Hey @Westsyde,

I moved your post to an existing thread where one of our sellers @SweetB posted an awesome way to set up modifiers for pizza toppings. 

Their post might be helpful to you and point you in the right direction!

Ashley C
Message 26 of 36

Thanks -- link? did a username search for my username - no search results

EDIT:    Just saw the link in a separate email - ill take a look now thanks!

Can this particular reply be deleted? I tried and cant seem to delete it.

Message 27 of 36

Are any Pizza Restaurant sellers using SquareUp?

Message 28 of 36

We do this also. 

Message 29 of 36

This is an old tread but it still seems to be a problem.  I set up a modifier group with all the toppings.  It charges for each of these toppings.  I also set up a modifier group with all the toppings free and the first modifier is "second half".  So you click second half and the toppings the customer wants on that half.  It prints very clearly on the kitchen ticket.  You just have to use the half with the most toppings first to get it to charge correctly.  Maybe not the best way but it works for us.  Always looking for better/easier ways though.  That last part was for you square.  It could be better.

Message 30 of 36

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: item library

I am a food truck that sells wood fired pizza.  I would like to allow customer to add extra toppings.  When I add a topping as a new item, the customer can choose the extra topping but I don't know which pizza it goes on if the customer orders more than one pizza.  Is there a way to link the extra item with the specific pizza?

Message 31 of 36
Alumni

Hey @bullandbasil - try item modifiers which are add-on sets that can be applied to a specific item! 

Justin
Message 32 of 36

I just started Square Register POS. Having trouble building the pizza topping choices. Need to be able to speak to someone that did it.

Message 33 of 36

Heya @1Hayley and welcome to the Community.

I searched "pizza toppings" and found this existing thread within our Community that has a lot of recent chatter and workarounds about pizza toppings. 

Check out the last few pages for comments from different sellers who also own pizza shops and what they're doing!

Ashley C
Message 34 of 36
Beta Member

Hey Pizza folks! 

I posted a topic not too long ago regarding us Pizzeria folks. I suggested there needs to be a "Square for Pizza". A dedicated version of restaurants but for Pizzerias. Upvote the comment because it has been escalated, fingers crossed we get some traction. 

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Feature-Request-SQUARE-FOR-PIZZA/td-p/225517

Message 35 of 36

Agreed!!!

Message 36 of 36