x

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

Beta Member

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

We need to be able to preauthorize credit cards when running a tab. Period.  We really enjoyed the low buy in and easy menu development and a couple of the other features, but a bar/restaurant needs to be able to run a tab and preauthorize a credit card.  I've gone back and looked at conversations about it and it appears that this has been a CONSTANT request by users that has gone ignored.

I'd like to know why it isn't available.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

It IS FOR SURE COMING!! 🙂 they’re running beta testing on it now, so hang in there, I almost switched, glad I didn’t because I really do like the company but this definitely has been and issue that’s cost me hundreds of $$. Hopefully testing goes well and it rolls out soon 🙂

698 Comments

I am running a guest house and require this functionality urgently.  It is very frustrated when trying to charge "no show" penalty but then the card declined. 

I would also greatly appreciate this feature as a B&B owner. Given that fees are higher for manually entered transactions, we would prefer not to do a full charge when we get a booking. Not being able to do pre-authorizations is a significant issue. It is one feature that I would very much like to see implemented.

I saw a few threads where people asked for this feature, and the response was it's in the works essentially--any updates?  I sell products that come with a 1 to 2 week trial period and need to be able to pre-authorize a card, so if they decide to keep the product---or don't return it--the charge can then be finalized.  

I really like this service, but this is a very crucial feature and would prefer to not have to shop around for a new one, but will hang in there if this feature is coming soon.  Thanks!

Square

@mebane - I went ahead and moved your comment over to the thread where we are tracking this feature request. While I don't have an update to share at this time, I'll definitely pass along the feedback! For more details on the feature request process, please check out this thread. 🙂

Can this system be used for lodging reservations?  I use square for phone and in person payments but would like to use it for online reservations.

Is there a way to issue a Credit Note back to a customer using the invoice system? The use case here is that we create an invoice for the customer and part of that invoice is for equipment that we hold a deposit on until it is returned? 

Square

Hi @WoodenLegs — It looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. Check out the reply from Spenser and let us know if that helps!

Square

@RoseHouse - While we don't have a feature specific to lodging reservations, I don't see a reason why Square Appointments wouldn't work. Check it out, and then let me know if you have any specific questions. 🙂

I need Square to process CC Authorization only for taking deposits for VRBO accomodations. If Square had that capability I would completey ditch my Costco merchant account.

I have a requirement to maintain a positive credit balance for individuals using a bar.

Is there any way i can handle this in the software.

I can create a ticket for each persons "Tab" and keep on adding their drinks as they are consumed.

I would like to reduce their credit balance down by the correct amount at the close of a night with the ability to notify them when the credit balance is running low.