x

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

Beta Member

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

We need to be able to preauthorize credit cards when running a tab. Period.  We really enjoyed the low buy in and easy menu development and a couple of the other features, but a bar/restaurant needs to be able to run a tab and preauthorize a credit card.  I've gone back and looked at conversations about it and it appears that this has been a CONSTANT request by users that has gone ignored.

I'd like to know why it isn't available.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

It IS FOR SURE COMING!! 🙂 they’re running beta testing on it now, so hang in there, I almost switched, glad I didn’t because I really do like the company but this definitely has been and issue that’s cost me hundreds of $$. Hopefully testing goes well and it rolls out soon 🙂

698 Comments

Please add this option. When we let someone run a tab at our bar, we need to be able to check if it is a valid credit card. This is a common feature and I know it could be a dealbreaker with some vendors when deciding whether to use Square.

Square

We'll update this thread should it become available, @FordFood. Thanks for posting and keep an eye out. 

It's very frustrating that this highly requested feature that is used by all other credit card processing companies doesn't seem to be a high priority for Square.

Square

@Acadia1 - It's definitely a feature request that we do hear from our sellers, although not technically a top ask. I can assure you that this is, and has definitely been discussed by our product teams. If we do have any other concrete details to share in the future, this thread will be one of the first to know! Thanks for the feedback. 

We just had the same issue with an invoice for our photography business who had paid a deposit in advance. Preparing the final invoice, I at first used the Discount option, but that reduced the sales tax in the same way the original poster noted. I used the workaround suggested, but it does add more work and is not as clear as it could be. I appreciate the improvements made to Square invoicing since we began using it (such as Notes with line items) and I appreciate keeping things simple and straight forward. However, having an option for a deposit or advance that was factored in AFTER tax would be great. 

I, too, am in need of pre-authorization from Square. We rent equipment to our customers and need a security. I can currently get pre-authorization from a competitor, but would like to use Square instead. Please get this done ASAP.

We would like this option since we are renting under water equipment putting a hold on the deposit is a must for our business.

Sean, thanks for passing it on, but can we all find out if preauthorization functionality is even on the roadmap?  I have experience with this technically, and it's a pretty simple implementation (like a week of effort).  I'll test it for you.  Thanks.

@Sean--It's been a year now since this thread started and 8 months ago when I last begged for this to get implemented.  All of your other bells and whistles are lovely, but this is needed in a payment system, which is what Square is at its base, no?  

The email marketing features, appointment booking, and gift cards etc. are icing on the cake, but that's not the main purpose.  The main reason a person would choose Square is for a PAYMENT method at point of sale and in my business, a PAYMENT method in case the person causes damage to a rental (which requires a pre-authorization feature). 

Please implement this need before adding any more frills to your PAYMENT system.

Thanks

Square

Hi again @DeniseAck. I totally understand where you're coming from. The prioritization of new features is certainly a complex process, but customer demand is definitely a big factor! We've share more details in this thread. Having said that, I'll definitely share your feedback with our product liaison team. Thanks for taking the time to share!