x

How do I apply a discount to a prepayment for a service?

When I use the option to add a discount it shows the discount but doesn't change the total of the prepayment.  I want to charge the correct amount instead of having to offer refunds for the discount.  Is there a way to add a coupon code while the client is checking out for a service?  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Hey @Jackson, welcome to the seller community. Thanks for bringing this up.

To be sure that we're on the same page—can you reply with a bit more information on the kind of payment and how you need it to work? If it helps, you can create an item, then apply an item-only discount by following these steps: Apply Discounts. Hope this helps get you closer to where you need to be.

If this isn't quite hitting the mark, please let me know and I'll be happy to have another look.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 7

Hey, Tom.  Thanks for the reply.

I'm wanting to use discount codes for services.  I am a photographer and use the online booking site.  I have a discount code that I'd like to be able to apply at checkout for the customer.  Or, if I could get the discount code to work when I accept & charge the appointment, that would be fine, too.  I can add the code, and it shows the negative amount, but doesn't change the total amount charged to the customer.  Then I have to issue refunds for the discount.

Message 3 of 7
Admin

Got it. Thanks for that information, @Jackson. I went to check on this and it sounds like you may want to create a "prepayment discount" that you can apply during checkout from the app. Then, you can head over to Checkout > select service > add discount > updated price should display at the top of the screen > Charge. Does that help make this process a bit more streamlined?

If this still doesn't clear things up, please don't hesitate to reply with the steps leading up to the point where the total sale does not accurately display the discounted amount. In addition, you may want to touch base with our Customer Success team who can take a closer look in real time. Appreciate your patience with this.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 4 of 7

Thank you for continuing this conversation.  The issue is when I have customers booking online and prepaying for appointments.  When they access my booking site and are ready to pay for the service, there is not place to enter the promo code for the discount.  So, they end up paying full price and I have to refund the money.  The feature works fine when I send an invoice for post-payment, but those who are booking with me online can't take advantage of the ease of entering a discount code.  

My thought was to then enter it when I go approve the appointment and subsequently charge their card.  When I add the discount info, it does drop the total, but the charge to their account doesn't change.  It stays the same and they are charged the full amount.  Thus, I still have to issue a refund.

Message 5 of 7
Admin

Got it. Appreciate you taking the time to reply with those details. I will be sure to surface this request and your business needs with our Appointments Team. We are actively making improvements based on seller feedback—we'll circle back with any other workarounds or developments that may be helpful. Thanks for our patience in the meantime.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 6 of 7

Hello, 

I am experiencing the same issue as described above.  

My customers prepay when booking and my discounts are not applying to their purchase.  Whether I enter the discount prior to charging the customer or not, the prepaid amount is still being charged to the customer.  The only solution that I've created is to issue the customer a refund, which is not preferred nor professional.  

Has this been resolved yet?

Message 7 of 7