x

How do I get the POS app to display the subtotal for an order

I am opening a fireworks stand and am learning to use the square system.  I plan on offering bonus (free) items based on the size of a customer's purchase, but in the POS register app I only see the total sale with tax included.  Is there a way to display the order subtotal?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square

@Ewagoner - Welcome to the Seller Community and kudos on your first post! We're happy to have you. As for your question, we don't currently have any sort of setting that can be enabled to show these details. It definitely sounds like it would be a useful feature for your business. I'll pass along the suggestion to our product liaison team. Hope to hear more from you in the community. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 9
Beta Member

So it's been 2 years since this question about subtotals was asked.  Are there any plans to implement this or is there already a way to change it in settings for Square Register?  Thanks!

Deana

Message 3 of 9
Admin

Hello @DeanFerris! I'm afraid I don't have an update on this feature request.

Currently, if you adjust your tax settings to Add Tax to the Item Price, as you add items to the cart you'll see that total tax is displayed in a separate line. This means you can deduct the tax from the cart total to get the subtotal. I know in practice this is a bit of a lengthy workaround and I see how displaying the subtotal would be helpful. I'll share your feedback with the Point of Sale team! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 9

I have this same issue. I have a tiered sale that is happening and it's based on the subtotal amount to see what discount the customer gets. I have to sit at the register with a calculator and subtract the tax or toggle the tax off. Both of which are time consuming, and a simple line with the subtotal would be the fix. Not sure why this is not a feature, it seems easy and kind of important. 

Message 5 of 9

It would be really nice to have this feature available to make giving discounts (based on pretax totals) much easier.

Message 6 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey @RusHour! Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an already existing thread for this feature request so our Product team can easily track the requests.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 9

As I add multiple items to my square register it automatically adds sales tax and gives me a total.  Is there a way to display the total BEFORE the tax is added? This subtotal is useful when folks want to know the total before taxes are added. Right now I have to total on a separate calculator.

Message 8 of 9
Alumni

Hey there @jeffreylance! Happy to see you posting in the Community. 

Although I understand how displaying the subtotal makes for transparent pricing for your customers, but unfortunately Square's system doesn't have the ability to calculate the subtotal. 

Right now, you've adopted the best workaround by using a calculator but I know it's not ideal. Hopefully we can improve in this area. If anything changes, we'll let you on this thread where the convo is happening. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 9