x

Feature Request: Limit the quantity of an item a customer can purchase on my Square Online website

Feature Request: Limit the quantity of an item a customer can purchase on my Square Online website

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How do I Limit the Quantity A Customer Can Purchase of an Item?

I have a very limited number inventory on an item in my online store. Is there a way to limit the number a customer can purchase in a single transaction? Example: "Limit 4 per Customer".

Thanks!

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How do I Limit the Quantity A Customer Can Purchase of an Item?

This is not available at this time but a great Feature that would be.  

201 Comments
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your voice here, @lostcabinjesse. We will continue to update this thread when we have new information to share. Thanks for your continued patience! 

PLEASE GET THIS OPTION AVAILABLE NOW!!! 

Hi Ashley, 

It's been a few weeks since your last reply on this thread.

Could you kindly provide an update from your development team on this matter?

Ourselves and many others see this as as rather rudimentary feature to implement in the the Square Online portal. 

If a particular item has a limit set at 5 per customer, then the customer should not be able to click the plus (+) sign to add any more of that item to their cart after 5 has been reached. 

We're all waiting for a reply here. 

Thank you. 

Hey @SkygazerBrewing thank you so much for taking the time to ask. I just reached out to the Development Team and unfortunately they still do not have a timeline for this request. It is something that they are aware of, but we will need to continue bubbling the feedback to them for now. 

I hear you - this is especially important during the times we are in. I will be sure to share this with them as well and if there are any updates, I will reach out here. Feel free to check in for updates as well. I'm happy to help in any way I can. 

Beta Member

Hi. Disclaimer - I'm an official Square Partner that creates Square-powered mobile apps for businesses who use Square, but there are 2 ideas I'd like to mention:

1) I haven't checked this or tested this theory, but I swear you could just use the inventory feature, then simply add a modifier or variation with the name "Amount" or even "Quantity" and then I think you can even add an inventory count to that too. And, then you simply make 1 the only option. That would limit people to only ordering 1 (or whatever number you want the limit to be) and it would also track the overall inventory in real-time. Now, of course, Customers could technically just do another order to bypass this little work-around. 

2) We make branded Square-powered Mobile Apps in about 48 hours and can add this to your app easily...and Apps allow you to control and limit purchases and re-purchases in extremely secure and smart ways, so it's super hard to fool them. ie. No one would be able to just re-order to bypass your limit.

We can limit Customers by User Account, Square ID, Phone Number, Device ID (meaning the App would track which phone made the purchase and even if they created another account in your app, they STILL wouldn't be able to purchase more than you allow).

@AshleyK we know it’s not your fault...and we’re trying to “bubble up” as much as we can 🙂  Does Square even have this in a dev queue somewhere? It seems a very simple technical implementation on the Weebly side. I can’t think of many features that could be more important during a pandemic. The only other option to limit purchasing is good ol’ price increases, but “price gouging” is the last thing any seller wants to accused of right now. 

Please keep bubbling as much as you can, and thanks for advocating for so many of us!

Beta Member

Have you tried using Modifiers and/or Variations as "Quantity" then adding 0,1 as your options? Or 0,1,2,3 - up to the number you're trying to limit? 

Even still though, people can just create another order to get around that. There's only 1 real way to control and limit it, which is to build it custom (if you want to make it fool-proof). 

Ken

Yes, we could do this, but then the user experience is relying on a different quantity control for these items, which is confusing. And couldn’t someone just then select Qty 2 for a modifier of Quantity 2 to add 4 of an item to a cart?

A quantity limiter is a rudimentary control on a e-com ordering flow. The fact that this would require a custom build is baffling. 

@rmariotti thanks so much for the encouragement! 🙂 I personally brought this up to the team, so I know it's on their radar, but there is a lot of demand for online store feature requests at this moment, so I don't know when they will be able to work on this directly. 

PreOrder_app

step one doesn't work.