x

Feature Request: Limit the quantity of an item a customer can purchase on my Square Online website

Feature Request: Limit the quantity of an item a customer can purchase on my Square Online website

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How do I Limit the Quantity A Customer Can Purchase of an Item?

I have a very limited number inventory on an item in my online store. Is there a way to limit the number a customer can purchase in a single transaction? Example: "Limit 4 per Customer".

Thanks!

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How do I Limit the Quantity A Customer Can Purchase of an Item?

This is not available at this time but a great Feature that would be.  

201 Comments
Square Community Moderator

@PreOrder_App any helpful troubleshooting you can point @ScratchSJ to here?

Yes, please add this feature as soon as possible! My store sells organic sanitizer and I need to limit the quantity anyone can buy so there is not a run on it like the toilet paper incident!

Also, Is there a way you can separate the delivery & pickup option into individual options? I don't offer shipping but I do offer curbside pickup.

Thank you!

Alumni

@madebylocals - Gotcha down as an extra person looking for this feature ✍

As for the delivery and pickup options, we haven't separated those settings yet but we're tracking the need for that feature on this thread. Keep up to speed on the latest updates there. 

I am one more day closer going with a competitor. This topic was started a month ago and still no results. Not having this option is crucial for my business at this point. 

Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @ScratchSJ - our ECOM teams are actively working on bringing this feature to fruition. We will continue to update this thread with any news surrounding a release. Until then, we appreciate your patience.

I also could use this feature for my biz. Thanks for working on it! Hoping we see it live soon.

@PreOrder_Apps Option one doesn't work in instances where your quantity limit is "x or fewer."  If you create a separate modifier for each quantity, you lose the ability to control for total inventory.  That is to say, if options "1," "2," and "3" are all pulling from a total product inventory of 10, you can't sell two threes, two fours and two ones, even if you could sell each of those quantities independently.

@Joe , is there any further update from the dev team?  I'm not trying to be a dramatic Chicken Little, but not being able to control cart quantity for things like specialty bottle releases is actually a dealbreaker that is forcing us to look at other platform options. 

Hi, I'm the OP for this topic. I originally posted about this issue in 2018 and I am, frankly, appalled that after two years there is still no resolution.

This should be a simple bit of code. There is no reason why this feature hasn't yet been made available.

I'm lucky in that COVID-19 doesn't affect my business, but seeing these other business owners struggle because they can't control their inventory is incredibly frustrating.

I genuinely don't blame any of the folks in this thread if they drop Square and go to a competitor at this point.

I don't know who you need to go over or around on the food chain to get this in front of the right people on the dev team to make this happen, but given the current crisis, it needs to be one of the top concerns right now and it needs to be taken seriously. 

Thanks

Jen

I second what Jen stated.

I am surprised that after more than 2 years that this issue has not been addressed. While adding a modifier allows you to provide limited choices, the system then lets you add as many of those selections as possible!!!! This makes it pretty much unusable where you need to limit quantities with each sale. Using stock levels not appropriate for individual sales.